Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Vintage Synthesizer Albums and Why?

Delia Derbyshire "Electro Sonic" -- Yes, because of the classic Dr. Who.

Wendy Carlos--either the Bach stuff or A Clockwork Orange, some of the early stuff I picked up.

These two too: JMJ's Oxygène and Équinoxe.

Ron Geesin, Electrosound 1972 http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3t...ll-album_music

Some early Canadian electronica.

Syrinx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GuH9us2FCU

DtB

Quote Originally Posted by Dave the Brave View Post
    Some early Canadian electronica.

Syrinx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GuH9us2FCU

DtB
    Excellent music.Never heard this before. Thanks for sharing it.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Excellent music.Never heard this before. Thanks for sharing it.
    Syrinx was great. Never got the recognition they deserved (or the CD issues).

Quote Originally Posted by regenerativemusic View Post
    I'm discovering new stuff all the time. There were actually probably about 30 pop synth albums released in this time zone.
    Current Fav:

Switched on Bacharach by Christopher Scott (Decca 1969)
    I just found out that this is an alias of Jean Jacques Perry....

Seriously? Where'd you hear that?

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Seriously? Where'd you hear that?
    It was on an electronic music blog and on discogs:

https://www.discogs.com/artist/11677...istopher-Scott

Not the most reliable of sources, but there is a certain logic to it.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    RIP, Tomita.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    RIP, Tomita.
    Shit. Who's next? Wendy Carlos?

RIP, Tomita.
    Any source for this? It appears to be just a hoax.
    http://en.mediamass.net/people/isao-...deathhoax.html

I just saw it mentioned at stevehoffman. Doesn't appear to be a hoax.

http://columbia.jp/tomita/info.html

Isao Tomita, Notice of death
    Isao Tomita composer and synthesizer artist (He was 84 years),
    has passed away at the Tokyo Metropolitan Hiroo Hospital for the 2016 May 5, 2:00 pm 51 minutes chronic heart failure.
    The same day, collapsed at around noon home, it was taking over the breath while Mitra to the family in a hospital.
    Funeral, May 7, has been celebrated only by relatives in 8 days.
    Here, we would like your report respectfully. Tomita said, to start a career as a composer in Japan Columbia, has worked many, such as the first installment and Osamu Tezuka anime music of NHK TV saga. From the 1970s, quickly introduced a synthesizer, announced a number of ambitious album, such as "Moonlight" and "planet". Such as to be nominated for the first time the US Grammy Award in Japanese, it has received a global reputation. In recent years, announced the incorporating Hatsune Miku virtual singer to soloist in 2012 "Ihatovu Symphony", it has become a hot topic repeatedly staged at home and abroad. In addition, we have carried out until just before the death of the creative activities of the new work staged plan "Dr. Kopperiusu" in November this year. We pray for the souls of the deceased. May 8, 2016 Nippon Columbia Co., Ltd. --------------------- Isao Tomita, Composer And Synthesizer Artist, Died May 5, 2016 Of Chronic Cardiac Failure At 2 :. 51 Pm At Tokyo Metropolitan Hiroo Hospital . He Collapsed Around Noon In His Home And Was Taken To The Hospital, Where He Passed Away With Family At His Bedside . Private Funeral Ceremonies Attended Only By Family Took Place On May 7Th And 8Th We This News With Announce Great Sadness. Tomita Started His Career As A Composer For Nippon Columbia Co., Ltd Where He Composed Numerous Works, Including Music For The First NHK Taiga Drama And Animation Of Osamu Tezuka. In The 70'S, He Was Among The To Introduce The First Analogue Synthesizer To Japan And Released Numerous Ambitious Albums Like "Snowflakes Are Dancing" And "The Planets." He Gained International Recognition As The First Japanese Artist Nominated For A Grammy Award In The USA. Recently, He Released "Symphony Ihatov, "Featuring Virtual Singer" Hatsune Miku "As Soloist, Having Many Performances At Home And Abroad With Much Popular Success. Just Before His Death, He Was Preparing The Performance Of His New Work" Dr. Coppelius, "Planned For November Of This Year. We Pray That His Soul May Rest In Peace. May 8, 2016 NIPPON COLUMBIA CO., LTD.
    o
    Last edited by Dave (in MA); 05-08-2016 at 02:48 AM.

I just saw it mentioned at stevehoffman. Doesn't appear to be a hoax.

http://columbia.jp/tomita/info.html

o
    Weird, I can't find the news anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Weird, I can't find the news anywhere else.
    It's been confirmed on his Facebook page.

13164229_597545520402122_7895969289331343751_n.jpg
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    It's been confirmed on his Facebook page.

13164229_597545520402122_7895969289331343751_n.jpg
    Really sad news.

Who starts a RIP thread?

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Another gem from Warner Jepson.From 1970.Not an album,but an audio/video creation.Music by Warner Jepson on the Buchla.I have a 2cd retrospective of Jepson's synthesizer and musique concrete works.They're generally not academic sounding stuff,which, i suppose, is why i dig them.

Reminds me of "The Andromeda Strain" sound track.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Geo Harrison-Electric Sound: Moog+Acid.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Syrinx was great. Never got the recognition they deserved (or the CD issues).
    I am now able to stand corrected.

RVNG Int'l has reissued Syrinx's two excellent and very unique albums on one CD, along with a second disc of previously unreleased rarities. 14 October 2016, look for "Tumblers From The Vault, 1970-1972". I just found out about it!!! The sonic quality is EXCELLENT.

Mort Garson put out all kinds of cosmic albums.
    But my fave electro LP from way back then would be Cauldron by Fifty Foot Hose. Ring modulators, echo, reverb, etc. No synths at all.

My Name is Marietta Cashman, Buchla 100.

Yeah, I saw that Syrinx comp CD a few days ago in a record store. I had one of those LP's in the 70's and one of leader John Mills-Cockell's solo albums. Interesting stuff, but not enough to buy again.
    Would like to add some early synth/electronic favorites: the first album by White Noise, also The United States of America and spin-off American Metaphysical Circus by Joe Byrd & the Field Hippies. Not strictly synths but great nonetheless. Also, some of Stockhausen's electronic stuff from that era is good. Somebody mentioned Ron Geesin earlier, I'll just say that several of his albums from that era are good, though not strictly electronic.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    My Name is Marietta Cashman, Buchla 100.
    Some real toe-tappers there. I'm going to be whistling those all night.

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    Also, some of Stockhausen's electronic stuff from that era is good.
    When I was a teenager, our local library had a very fine LP collection, which included an "electronic music" section. They had Hymnen. Sternklang, Sirius, Mikrophonie I+II, Kurzwellen, the LP with Kontakte and Song Of The Youths on it, and I think a few others. I know in the "classical music" areas, they had a bunch of his orchestral pieces, and they also had the Harlequin album (basically clarinet solos, composed for Stockhausen's mistress, Suzanne Stephens, who looked very fetching in the harlequin outfit on the album cover).

I remember the library also had some of the Tangerine Dream records (Cyclone, Phaedra, and maybe a couple others), as well as at least one Subotnick record, a couple of the Wendy Carlos records (naturally, one of them was S-OB), and a few others I've forgotten. I think I might have borrowed at least one Penderecki CD from the library too.

Unfortunately, a lot of that stuff went away sometime in the mid 90's. I remember the cassette deck in my home stereo was screwed up, but at some point, I realized I could connect the turntable directly into my boombox (which had line inputs). Sound quality was a bit iffy, but at least it let me make my own copies of some of the Stockhausen records (which at the time, hadn't been issued on CD, and when they did become available, they could only be had at extortionate prices). But alas, I figured this out a little too late, as I think as I started copying the records, the library started withdrawing some of the more esoteric items from circulation. So I made copies of Hymnen, and Kurzwellen, but by the time I was ready to Mikrophonie, Sirius, Sterenklang, or the other records, they were already no longer available.

Delia Derbyshire, The Zodiac, Seastones (Ned Lagin), Mother Mallard, Daphne Oram, Tonto's Expanding Head Band (1st. album), Jaroslav Krcek's Raab (part tapes, I know, but also administered audio filter processing).
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM