Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ?? WATERS to tour ANIMALS starting in October

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Actually, I thought Doyle Bramhall II was fantastic with Waters. I thought he and Snowy White did a great job with the guitar work on that tour. Gilmour always had a bluesy tone to his style anyway, so I thought they were perfect for the job.
    Good. He needs people like you.

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    Where did someone "discover" Waters was lip-syncing??
    The idea of Gilmour and Waters on the same stage again is madness. ESPECIALLY for this album! Gilmour stated he didn't agree with the content when PF2 toured, that's why none of animals ever showed up. He doesn't play his OWN old material much less Animals...If the rumor is true, i still would see it, though i would hope Kilminster isn't his guitarist.
    The story I remember hearing was they actually talked about doing Sheep on the A Momentary Lapse Of Reason tour, but Gilmour decided he couldn't sing the song the way Waters did on the album, so they dropped the idea early on in the rehearsal process.

What I'd like see is a recreation of the 77 stage show: Animals in the first set, Wish You Were Here in the second set, with the same films, props, etc.

"Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

The media are calling this "Boomer-Chella".
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    The media are calling this "Boomer-Chella".
    The Los Angeles media market has some labeling it "Old-Chella"

What I'd like see is a recreation of the 77 stage show: Animals in the first set, Wish You Were Here in the second set, with the same films, props, etc.
    The cash value of a tour doing this set would be more than the gross of most blockbuster movies. Double it if you had Gilmour on guitar.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Actually, I thought Doyle Bramhall II was fantastic with Waters. I thought he and Snowy White did a great job with the guitar work on that tour. Gilmour always had a bluesy tone to his style anyway, so I thought they were perfect for the job.
    m's feet).
    I really enjoyed that tour as well and thought the Bramhall / White combination worked really well. I remember Bramhall from back when he was in Arc Angels back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I really enjoyed that tour as well and thought the Bramhall / White combination worked really well. I remember Bramhall from back when he was in Arc Angels back in the day.
    I remember him from before Arc Angels, when he was (briefly) in The Fabulous Thunderbirds.

To those who say Doyle came off as a SRV wannabe, keep in mind there's a bunch of reasons for that. First of all, they're both from Texas, so they've both got that Texas blues vibe. Second, they both have similar influences, in particular, Albert King (note that Doyle strings his guitars upside like Albert did). And also, Doyle's dad, Doyle Bramhall Sr, was a drummer and songwriter who worked SRV (in fact SRV< recorded a a number of Doyle Sr's songs on his records), so it shouldn't be surprise that DOyle might have soaked up some of that just from being around him.

But like I said, I thought he did a fine job, and was the right man at the right time. And he also serves as a rather unlikely link between Pink Floyd and Prince (Doyle is, or maybe was, married to Susannah Melvoin, Wendy Melvoin's twin sister, and Wendy and Lisa were major collaborators on Doyle's first two solo albums).

Now, if you want to talk about picking the wrong guitarist for your live show, I thought Steve Bolton, who played on The Who's 1989 tour, was a really bad choice. I don't know how he came to be picked, but I thought his playing style was completely...inappropriate, let's say, for The Who's music. I didn't really think about iat the time, but years laterI got a bootleg video fo the show I saw (at Cleveland Municipal Stadium), and you could really hear the difference between his playing and Townshend's. Townshend always had this sort of untutored to his playing, if you know what I mean, whereas Bolton most definitely doesn't.

(Interestingly, Bolton was the guitarist in Paul Young's band...that's him playing the Coral sitar on Everytime You Go Away, and one of his bandmates was Pino Palladino, who later replaced Thunderfingers after he passed away...and to bring this back to Pink Floyd, Pino also played the wonderful fretless bass lines on Gilmour's About Face album).

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    By overwhelming demand, a 2nd weekend has been announced!

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    By overwhelming demand, a 2nd weekend has been announced!
    Scored myself a ticket and now kicking myself for not buying more....

Maybe this question has already been asked.. What's Waters setlist? Greatest hits from Floyd? Mix of his solo stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Maybe this question has already been asked.. What's Waters setlist? Greatest hits from Floyd? Mix of his solo stuff?
    Good question, his setlists since he ended The Wall tour are a hodge podge of covers and old floyd classics, with one or 2 new songs.
    In Newport festival he did The bravery of being out of range and Amused to death, hope he will also do these in the forthcoming Old`chilla.

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    Good question, his setlists since he ended The Wall tour are a hodge podge of covers and old floyd classics, with one or 2 new songs.
    In Newport festival he did The bravery of being out of range and Amused to death, hope he will also do these in the forthcoming Old`chilla.
    He can't get too obscure with this, though. I'd think this is more of a "cater to the masses" type of gig. Expect lots of Floyd with maybe a few covers or solo tracks thrown in.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    He can't get too obscure with this, though. I'd think this is more of a "cater to the masses" type of gig. Expect lots of Floyd with maybe a few covers or solo tracks thrown in.
    Yeah, most probably, may be closer to his pre wall tour,
    with a song or 2 from the new ones, minus some of the DSOTM material, and probably shorter show than the full DSOTM shows.

https://www.facebook.com/ocesamx/pho...type=3&theater
    Roger Waters announced a Mexico City show, Sept. 28th, 2016 (a few days before the Desert Trip).
    http://www.ocesa.com.mx/evento/roger-waters/
    From the advert, translated by Google- **This will be a journey through the greatest hits of Pink Floyd guided by the mastermind of the band.**
    **After completing "The Wall", his latest massive tour that lasted more than three years, during which he offered 219 shows sold out arenas and stadiums around the world, including of course the Palace of Sports where he appeared localities to more 40 thousand people and the Foro Sol where he played for more than 80 thousand people, Waters returns to the road once again to interpret the subjects of successful albums of Pink Floyd: the Wall, Animals, Wish you Were Here, Dark Side of The Moon.**

I'd imagine more (ahem) shows will follow.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

I had not heard this rumor! I skipped the Wall tour. Probably should have gone. However, a Floyd 'hits' show would be great. Would love to hear anything of DSOTM, the whole SOYCD and Welcome to the Machine. Of course, Dogs and Pigs would be amazing! He could do all three albums and still be under 2 hours, no?

Incidentally, Im going to Britfloyd in a few weeks. So great!

A tour highlighting Animals is long overdue, IMO. Though to guess I'd say we get a two set tour from Roger next year -- first set the new album (assuming it will be done), second set floyd hits. Which would be just fine.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    He's doing all of Ca Ira, and that's it. McCartneys's doing only his opera too.

^ Now you're talking! Count me in. For both weekends, too!

These extravaganzas put me off. If George & John were alive & the Beatles reunited for a world tour, I still would not go. Give me a smallish, intimate club where the audience this there to see & hear the performers rather than to say to their friends that they attended Woodstock XXXVIII. Plus, the small-venue artist usually has something new to say via new songs rather than trudging out only tried-&-true hits.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    He's doing all of Ca Ira, and that's it. McCartneys's doing only his opera too.
    A full, stripped-down version of ça Ira with only Waters on acoustic guitar will surely please the crowd.

(With "Household Objects" as the Floyd encore.)