Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ?? WATERS to tour ANIMALS starting in October

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    The only announcement I'm interested in from Waters is a release date for a new album. He should get Jimmy Page to play guitar. That way we get new material from two long slumbering giants and Waters will have made one record with each Yardbirds guitarist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    He played Sheep at the DSOTM show I saw in 2006. It was the last song of the first set.
    Yes, the pig flew for that. Forgot or thought it was played on the previous tour. Lol, even video'd it;also forgot what a stream of people, like the recent Gilmour show, kept walking up and down the rows/aisles then too. 10 years ago already.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

i'd like to see him bring The Pros And Cons Of Hitch Hiking to the stage.

Defo a nod to the upcoming mega concert in Indio, Ca as Dylan, The Who & Sir Paul have now posted vids on their FB page with the "October..." heading.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    i'd like to see him bring The Pros And Cons Of Hitch Hiking to the stage.
    Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by marblesmike View Post
    Can he still sing enough of the material that it would be worthwhile or is he going to lip sync like he's done in the past?

Color me intrigued thought about Gilmour and Mason possibly rejoining.
    Then he may be better off doing the Final Cut, an album which I freely admit I liked from the very first play.
    The older I get, the better I was.

His version of Dogs on the "In the Flesh" DVD is great. Well, except for the lefty lead guitarist chewing gum the whole time.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Well it makes a change from the dreary Wall, I'd be more interested in seeing this.
    Seeing Roger's tour of THE WALL was actually a fascinating multi-media experience................loved it !

It would be great to have Steven Wilson guest on "Dogs".

The reaction does not seem enthusiastic. I wonder what makes nostalgic classic prog touring successful in the eyes of prog fans. Some artists surfing this wave (like Fripp, Hackett & Hammill) are usually lauded on this forum, while others (like Howe, Waters & Ian Anderson) are frequently mocked.

What makes these two camps different?

Quote Originally Posted by littleatlas_steve View Post
    His version of Dogs on the "In the Flesh" DVD is great. Well, except for the lefty lead guitarist chewing gum the whole time.
    It was good. Thought that guy looked like a toned down Elvis.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    The reaction does not seem enthusiastic. I wonder what makes nostalgic classic prog touring successful in the eyes of prog fans. Some artists surfing this wave (like Fripp, Hackett & Hammill) are usually lauded on this forum, while others (like Howe, Waters & Ian Anderson) are frequently mocked.

I would be excited by this, however it seems people are thinking Waters isn't actually touring, just doing a one-off show.

I look at it more from a band perspective. All of these guys are past their prime and living on their old material. Nothing really new and relevant. Who are the more recent people and bands that get a rise out of us? I think there was a lot of talk about Transatlantic. I thought Big Big Train with their new spin on things would blow things sky high but no. Nostalgia is very important to our prog community.

Are you asking seriously?
    Waters was lip-syncing the majority of his last tours, Ian Anderson's voice is completely shot and his last tour also rely heavilly on playback, and Steve Howe is playing half tempo with a band that has very few original members left in it and is purely a nostalgia act.
    Heck, all these 3 are 90% a nostalgia act.
    On the other hand Peter Hammill's last solo album is brilliant, as is the last VDGG album, and as are his solo shows and VDGG's which are still risk-taking and vital as they were in the 70s.
    Regarding Fripp and Hackett- well, they are slowly becoming a nostalgia act as Yes etc but the difference is that they are still doing it well as opposed to Yes and Ian Anderson
    (In the last years I saw PH/Vdgg, Crimson Ian A. and Hackett live, havent seen Yes though, apart for some YT clips so I might be wrong with my prognosis )

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    Are you asking seriously?
    Waters was lip-syncing the majority of his last tours, Ian Anderson's voice is completely shot and his last tour also rely heavilly on playback, and Steve Howe is playing half tempo with a band that has very few original members left in it and is purely a nostalgia act.
    Heck, all these 3 are 90% a nostalgia act.
    On the other hand Peter Hammill's last solo album is brilliant, as is the last VDGG album, and as are his solo shows and VDGG's which are still risk-taking and vital as they were in the 70s.
    Regarding Fripp and Hackett- well, they are slowly becoming a nostalgia act as Yes etc but the difference is that they are still doing it well as opposed to Yes and Ian Anderson
    (In the last years I saw PH/Vdgg, Crimson Ian A. and Hackett live, havent seen Yes though, apart for some YT clips so I might be wrong with my prognosis )
    That's an interesting analysis thanks to your concert-goer perspective. As I have never had an opportunity to see any of those acts live, the only impression I could draw have been their modern live albums, like YES "Songs from Tsongas", VdGG's "Real Time", Steve Hackett's "Tokyo Tapes", Roger Water's "In the Flesh" or King Crimson's "Live in Toronto".

And based on that evidence the difference you are talking about (safe vs risk-taking) is not clear at all. These recordings all sound equally good and... safe, but it would be really hard for me to pick any of them over archival live documents showing each artist at their peak.

I actually realized that during the recent discussion on the last KC's concert outing when I played some of those discs I have (and sampled others from YT, for comparison purposes) and then asked myself: do I really want to listen to all those modern renditions of the classic repertoire? My answer was "no" and for exactly the same reason in each case. The new performances neither top the old live versions I have nor bring anything fresh to the table, and the studio post-production surely eliminated any potential gaps you could observe between solid and sloppy acts. Hence my question.

Thanks for your insight!
    Last edited by Jay.Dee; 05-02-2016 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Defo a nod to the upcoming mega concert in Indio, Ca as Dylan, The Who & Sir Paul have now posted vids on their FB page with the "October..." heading.
    The concert will feature Paul McCartney, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Roger Waters, Bob Dylan and Neil Young at the Empire Polo Club in Indio Oct. 7-9.

Tickets go on sale Monday, May 9, at 10 a.m. pacific. Passes are $199 per day for general admission or $399 for a three-day general admission pass. A 3-day standing pit pass is $1,599.
    Reserved floor seats are priced at $699, $999 and $1,599 for three-day passes. Reserved grandstand seats are $999 and $1,599 for three-day passes.

A one-day GA pass with shuttle access is $224 and a three-day pass plus shuttle is $424.
    Those prices do not include fees.

Quote Originally Posted by littleatlas_steve View Post
    And his shit-kicking, SRV wannabe (Vaughna-be?) style. He's good, just not the best fit for Floyd. Kinda like taking an English meal and drowning it in grits and hot sauce. LOL Might as well call Billy Gibbons!
    Last edited by Sean; 05-03-2016 at 04:14 PM.

a lefty guitarist always stands out on stage... but he's a great performer in his own right.

Where did someone "discover" Waters was lip-syncing??
    The idea of Gilmour and Waters on the same stage again is madness. ESPECIALLY for this album! Gilmour stated he didn't agree with the content when PF2 toured, that's why none of animals ever showed up. He doesn't play his OWN old material much less Animals...If the rumor is true, i still would see it, though i would hope Kilminster isn't his guitarist.

^^^Jesus what a band, that was amazing. Carin is a martian...

He should have let Carin sing ALL the Gilmour parts, he was the only one in the band that came close to nailing his sound.

Instead they pass the vocals around the band like some party favor.

^^^Agree completely.

Well I saw his DSOTM a few years ago (excellent) and his The Wall (very good) a few years before that, so I'll probably go see his Animals as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    And his shit-kicking, SRV wannabe (Vaughna-be?) style. He's good, just not the best fit for Floyd. Kinda like taking an English meal and drowning it in grits and hot sauce. LOL Might as well call Billy Gibbons!
    Actually, I thought Doyle Bramhall II was fantastic with Waters. I thought he and Snowy White did a great job with the guitar work on that tour. Gilmour always had a bluesy tone to his style anyway, so I thought they were perfect for the job.

Another thing I liked about Doyle was that he had more sort of vintage style guitar tones, if you know what I mean. He played a Strat style guitar (strung upside down, with the low E closest to the floor, just like Albert King and Otis Rush), with vintage style pickups, and I'm guessing his pedalboard similarly had vintage style effects (if not indeed actual vintage pedals).

I guess Gilmour finally saw the error of his ways, but for a long time, he was using those EMG pickups and a huge array of modern effects (including the then obligatory fridge sized effects rack). I thought that sounded alright on the post-Waters Floyd material (like on Sorrow, for instance), but I sometimes wished to hear him switch over to his old black Strat (or any other Strat with vintage style passive pickups) and his old Pete Cornish pedalboard for the older material (interestingly, Gilmour had the big Bob Bradshaw effects rig on the last couple Floyd tours, but at least on the 94 one, Tim Renwick, actually, was using Dave's old Cornish pedalboard, if you watch the Pulse video, you can see it in a couple shots, and there's a photo on the CD booklet where you can see the Peter Cornish pedalboard at Tim's feet).