Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED CD: Alco Frisbass - s/t

FEATURED CD: Alco Frisbass - s/t

Today's feature is Alco Frisbass, a must for fans of Canterbury-esque music.

Review snippit from "The Progressive Aspect":

What a delightful little album! Alco Frisbass, an oddly named duo from Rennes and Paris have come up with an assorted confection of Canterbury goodness that any fan of that particular obscure backwater can only appreciate in ever increasing amounts the more often they listen to it.

Taking a blend of National Health, Gilgamesh, the Hatfields and the Softs, and stamping it all with their own Gallic identity, these two multi-talented musicians and their consummate supporting cast have produced an album that while maybe not progressive in the true sense shows enough character of its own to keep this particular audient more than enthralled.

The reference points are many and varied, and as there is so much a good musician can do with these open-ended jazz inflected grooves it never becomes a slave to its influences, as is often the case where modern bands draw on the narrower musical seams of some of the other more commercially successful bands of the original prog era.

<snip>

Marvellous stuff! This album is a must for anyone into the more accessible end of the Canterbury spectrum and it is a charm from beginning to end. “Alco Frisbass” – I wish I knew where that name came from!

http://theprogressiveaspect.net/blog...alco-frisbass/

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

It's still spinning rather regularly at my house. While definitely 'Canterburyesque' as you say, there's sufficient overt "prog" tradition to warrant repeated listens for symphonic rock followers as well. Good tunes and themes, fine playing and a splendidly loungy mood throughout.

There's just so much great stuff coming out of France nowadays. Hell, there almost always was.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    It's still spinning rather regularly at my house. While definitely 'Canterburyesque' as you say, there's sufficient overt "prog" tradition to warrant repeated listens for symphonic rock followers as well. Good tunes and themes, fine playing and a splendidly loungy mood throughout.
    Yeah, I was surprised at how overtly "Proggy" this album is. I expected it to be much more "out there." For me, this album is a great example of how you can be fresh within the parameters of "Progressive Rock" ala the big name 70s bands, without having to reinvent the musical wheel.

I've also returned to it a lot and very much look forward to their next outing.

Bill

The best release of 2015 for me. I make sure to recommend it to all my friends that are remotely interested in prog.

Still enjoying this disc every time I play it...

Looking forward to the next one!
    Enjoy the moment... It's the only way to fly!

I love love love this.

Delightful stuff.

Great disc, made it into my 2015 top 10. definitely looking forward to more from them.

Does no one else have problems with the drumming on this? Its Ok to start with but by the end the pitter-pattering of the drum machines gets on my nerves.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alanterrill View Post
    Does no one else have problems with the drumming on this? Its Ok to start with but by the end the pitter-pattering of the drum machines gets on my nerves.
    It wasn't a problem to me until someone pointed it out, now I can't listen to it without hearing it & it does detract from the over all quality.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Nice choice! I have this, but regret to admit that I haven't played it as of yet. Will have to fix that soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeptrick View Post
    Great disc, made it into my 2015 top 10. definitely looking forward to more from them.
    haven't finished deciding my top 10 of 2015 but this one will likely make the cut
    great album
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    It wasn't a problem to me until someone pointed it out, now I can't listen to it without hearing it & it does detract from the over all quality.
    Agreed, unfortunately.

Nice background music, too safe for intense listening.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Like I said; the main quality of this release is arguably its overall mood - I don't even think it was created with intentions of "intense listening" on the receiving part. To that extent, the band would probably take your statement as a compliment - and I personally pretty much agree with it. I mean, Air did this within the context of cinematic post-pop, and I get some of the same vibe from Alco Frisbass. There's just something uniquely French about this; check out older acts such as Catharsis or Francois Breant for reference.

As for the drum machine, it really never bothered me. They could probably benefit from engaging a "live" drummer in the future, though - and especially if there's a performance planned.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    funny thing is, if I put this on at a get-together of mudbloods, plebes and amha'arets, they would scrunch their faces and say something like "this music is weird"
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Last night, I was too lazy to get up and change CD in my deck in my Dutch pad.... that was the last thing I'd played Thursday evening, and when I switched the whole hi-fi on last night, it was still in the deck, so I played it five times (just push replay)

I think I was soooooo lazy, I went to bed leaving the AF disc inside.... so if I'm still lazeeeeeee tonite....
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I didn't know about the drums but man this was one of my favs from 2015. Jacob from White Willow guests on here. An abundance of keyboard sounds seem to dominate to my ears, it really grew on me.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    funny thing is, if I put this on at a get-together of mudbloods, plebes and amha'arets, they would scrunch their faces and say something like "this music is weird"
    Yes that must be a pretty common response when those of us who like this type of music have friends round. I go out of my way to choose albums that are quiet, acoustic and seem melodic to me but my friends usually squirm all the same. I find Penguin Cafe Orchestra goes down well with everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by alanterrill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Actually, I thought it would bother me after I read/heard about it, but TBH, I kind of convinced myself that if I hadn't heard that "flaw" before knowing of it, so it shouldn't bother me afterwards >> precisely since I had not detected it, so it was sufficiently well done not to have noticed it.

Yesssss, the knowledge of "it" (flaw) remains while I listen to it, but I largely am successful at not letting it bother me.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

So I gave this a fresh listen last night.

I listened closely to the drums, which had never particularly bothered me. I'm pleased to say they still don't bother me. In fact, I think they did a masterful job with them. One thing for sure is that they are low in the mix. This probably contributes heavily to the "loungy" or more restrained feel of the album. While I wouldn't want every album to sound this way, I think it works beautifully for what they did here.

I was quite impressed how well this album stood up to a fairly close listen, as opposed to being largely background music. It think there's a lot going on here, great melodies, great development of the pieces. There really wasn't a dull moment for me. I was struck on this listen how much they remind me of another duo that I love, A Triggering Myth. Very similar approach in many ways, and very similar results.

Now I'm more interested that ever in a second Alco-Frisbass album.

Bill

^ Although I think their music as such is quite different (with ATM having a more deliberately grand or even "orchestral" sound), I can easily see the similarities with A Triggering Myth. Did you ever hear the US duo Darling, Bill? They folded about a decade back (I believe), but worked in some parallell waters to ATM and with keys/percussion exclusively - sounding almost like a hyperactive take on what both ATM and Alco Frisbass are doing.

I had the pleasure of mastering this and I love this album
    Richard the Francois Breant is spot on - this harkened for me a lot of that Egg Records vibe !

^ Although I think their music as such is quite different (with ATM having a more deliberately grand or even "orchestral" sound), I can easily see the similarities with A Triggering Myth. Did you ever hear the US duo Darling, Bill? They folded about a decade back (I believe), but worked in some parallell waters to ATM and with keys/percussion exclusively - sounding almost like a hyperactive take on what both ATM and Alco Frisbass are doing.
    I don't recall Darling, no. I'll definitely check them out, thanks for the tip!

Bill

Like I said; the main quality of this release is arguably its overall mood - I don't even think it was created with intentions of "intense listening" on the receiving part. To that extent, the band would probably take your statement as a compliment - and I personally pretty much agree with it.
    Its a really nice album and I meant no disrespect in regards to my "background music" comment.

I was listening to this sandwiched between Scott Henderson and Magma awhile back, so the contrasts were exaggerated.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone