Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree) + 5 other artists. The current Top Six artists of Prog

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Has anyone been tracking Magma's return to popularity? Or is the Vander graph generator broken?
    Nice...

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Well, only half true. My great grandpa Freddy is rumoured to have sprung out with a pop from a wad of highland moss on which an old goat once raped a retarded sheep which originated in the Outer Hebrides.
    I hate to say it, but some French singing band playing electric banjoes in 9/8 time would probably sound good to me right about now.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Why does this thread assume SW or PT is one of the top six?
    Oh, that's easy. Friends of mine who work for K Scope tell me this all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post
    I hate to say it, but some French singing band playing electric banjoes in 9/8 time would probably sound good to me right about now.
    I've got something much better for 'ya, doode.

"Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post

Nice.

I've got something much better for 'ya, doode.

Ok, but when are you going to breakout something new? Gezz-us.

Ok, but when are you going to breakout something new? Gezz-us.
    She's on that brand new album by JOno, a collab between Jon Anderson and Yoko Ono in which there's a lengthy Olga/Yoko call/response duet/duel while Jon is blowing a sopranino sexaphone like crazy in the back. Produced by the admirable Admiral Stefan Nelson.

Highly recommended.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

She's on that brand new album by JOno, a collab between Jon Anderson and Yoko Ono in which there's a lengthy Olga/Yoko call/response duet/duel while Jon is blowing a sopranino sexaphone like crazy in the back. Produced by the admirable Admiral Stefan Nelson.

Highly recommended.
    I have to say, old boy, that I feel that you're pulling my leg on this one. As an avid supporter of Romanian proggers Impaled By Vlad, who I've championed endlessly to be included in Prog Archives' "Gypsy Prog" subgenre with their incredible 48 minute prog take on the Volga Boatman Song. Who would have thought that combining zithers with mellotrons that constantly went out of tune due to government power outages could sound so incredible? And their imitation of drunkards singing a choir is so spot on, you'd have thought that they actually downed some volka themselves! Uncanny!

So, you see, I'm quite sympathetic to you lovers of Eurocentric prog.

Romanian proggers
    HAW-HAW-HAW! The very idea of 'Romanian proggers' is so laughable that I can hardly contain my lungs! I don't go pulling legs, though - I only clip off testicles to play them with mallets.

Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 03-18-2016 at 06:10 PM.

Just for the record, I'm no fan of SW, but if he isn't the biggest name in prog in the modern era, then who is?
    Opeth have just announced a gig at London's Wembley Arena, S.W. would struggle to sell out an arena!

HAW-HAW-HAW! The very idea of 'Romanian proggers' is so laughable that I can hardly contain my lungs! I don't go pulling legs, though - I only clip off testicles to play them with mallets.

Once again, life is stranger than fiction! LOL! Great vids SS.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Opeth have just announced a gig at London's Wembley Arena, S.W. would struggle to sell out an arena!
    So would Opeth. Good luck to them.

Off the top of my head, I'll go with:
    1.)Muse (They played an Olympic opening ceremony fairly recently.)
    2.)DT (When I went to Best Buy to purchase The Astonishing the day after it was released it was sold out.)
    3.)PT/SW (I read in an interview somewhere that The Raven That Refused to Sing (and Other Stories) sold more copies than any of Mr. Wilson's previous output, including Porcupine Tree.)
    4.)The Neal Morse Band (He appeals not only to us prog rock fans because of the music, but also to fans of CCM due to NM's lyrics.)
    5.) Opeth (Like many bands frequently mentioned here, they appeal to metal fans as well as proggers.)
    'The smell of strange colours are heard everywhere'- Threshold

soooo... this is a thread about who moves the most product/gives music critics palpitations

Justin Bieber
    Lady Gaga
    Drake
    Beyonce
    and
    IDCWP*

*brand new super group who's all the rage and you must like because Prog magazine says they are the best

I Dont Care What's POPular
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Surely Steve Hackett, just on recent performance, should be in the 'this' top six?

Away from PT/SW my top 6, in no particular order, from the last 25 years would be,,,,,,,,,,,

Anathema
    The Pineapple Thief
    Riverside
    Gazpacho
    Anekdoten
    Sanquine Hum

There has not been much else that I have got excited about during that period

But as much as I enjoy the above, do I enjoy them as much as the music from the 1960s/ 1970s.

Easy, they dont even come close.

Acts whose new albums I will buy:

Steven Wilson
    Anathema
    Riverside
    Iamthemorning
    Tim Bowness
    Moon Safari (if the next one is a return to form).

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Acts whose new albums I will buy:
    I like that

Gosta Berlings Saga
    Ske
    KBB
    Asturias
    Anglagard
    Accordo Dei Contrari
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?