Page 55 of 55 FirstFirst ... 5455152535455
Results 1,351 to 1,364 of 1364

Thread: Anderson/Stolt- "Invention of Knowledge"

Quote Originally Posted by Czyszy View Post
    That's actually not unthinkable if you consider the unnecessary changes Roine "George Lucas" Stolt did to the old Flower Kings material.
    I guess you can argue remixing or remastering that stuff is "unnecessary", sure. In that case buying it is unnecessary and complaining about it is even a further step removed from "unnecessary".
    <sig out of order>

I think the "George Lucas" comment is warranted for the changes that were done here. Yes the originals still exist and that is what I will continue to listen to, but for a new listener right now or in year 2043 when they call up their streaming service to play something from The Flower Kings I bet the version they will get will be the 2023 remix (or maybe by then it will be the 2028 remixes if we go through this all again in a few years) - If those are the only versions you know you will probably be fine and still enjoy them but IMO they are not as good and that the originals have been in a way 'replaced' by these new remixes is somewhat sad to me as I think it hurts TFK legacy.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    I’m interested in hearing the new mix if they release a download.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    I think the "George Lucas" comment is warranted for the changes that were done here.
    Roine Stolt and George Lucas both had every right to make changes to the art that they created. Complaining about it or alleging that it tarnishes the legacy of TFK is akin to those people who said that George Lucas ‘ruined their childhood’ (though they used a different R-word) with the changes he made to his movies.

Whether I prefer the changes or not, I respect the artist and their right to do whatever they want. The notion that fans somehow “own” the art instead of the creators — it’s detached from reality. I think it’s a symptom of how endemic this sense of entitlement is nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I think it’s a symptom of how endemic this sense of entitlement is nowadays.
    Millions of people got online and discovered that there are people who are just as stupid as they are. They took it as empowerment.

Hey. I'm not stupid. I only wanted to say that I'm not a fan of how the remixes were treated (like the partial remixing etc)
    NG ~ BC ~ PA
    “Pointing out the problem doesn't make it go away!” —Mr. Enter

Quote Originally Posted by Czyszy View Post
    Hey. I'm not stupid. I only wanted to say that I'm not a fan of how the remixes were treated (like the partial remixing etc)
    I was not referring to you or anyone else in the thread. I was commenting on the part I quoted, and only that. It was a general observation about the world as it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    I think the "George Lucas" comment is warranted for the changes that were done here. Yes the originals still exist and that is what I will continue to listen to, but for a new listener right now or in year 2043 when they call up their streaming service to play something from The Flower Kings I bet the version they will get will be the 2023 remix (or maybe by then it will be the 2028 remixes if we go through this all again in a few years) - If those are the only versions you know you will probably be fine and still enjoy them but IMO they are not as good and that the originals have been in a way 'replaced' by these new remixes is somewhat sad to me as I think it hurts TFK legacy.
    People can go and find either second hand copies of the originals if that's all that's available, or they can pirate MP3s / FLACs of the original mix if they are not available for sale.
    Nobody is entitled to certain music being available on streaming or for sale, and an artist should have the right to decide which version of their album is available via the platforms they have control over like streaming, digital sales, their web stores, etc.
    Any effect on an artist's legacy should not impact you as a listener. It's not your legacy, and you still have the music you love. So where is the issue?

I have yet to encounter anything in the remixes (I don't have the Stardust one) that would "tarnish" the band's reputation. As one example, listening to the remix of "Monsters & Men" in headphones is (for me) revelatory. I can understand being used to one thing and not liking the idea of hearing it changed. I hadn't listened to Paradox Hotel in a few years, so perhaps that's why I was able to appreciate it more - I probably didn't remember a lot of the details (and I still haven't tried to do an A/B comparison).

Yes, it is a little annoying that not every song gets a remix. If that was done on a slower release schedule that would've satisfied the part of me that likes things neat and orderly. But in some cases I'm sure there's no reason to touch many of the songs and there are no interesting alternate takes, no interesting unused tracks to bring forward, no new ideas to add that will elevate the songs. I'm happy enough with what we're getting.
    <sig out of order>

Has anybody heard the new remix of Invention of Knowledge? I got my 2-LP today and am currently listening to side one. I have no idea where the extra added 1:53 is, but so far I’ve noticed the guitar perhaps being a little more upfront.

It is a little annoying (for comparison purposes) that the new mix for the moment seems to be vinyl only. There are too many other elements at play that also change the sound there when comparing it to the original digital mix.
    Something that might sound like a mix change could just be how it sounds when pressed on vinyl, or the stylus / pre-amp / turntable in use etc.
    Hopefully they release it digitally so a proper comparison can be made

For me, I felt the album was already too long and edited it down for my own listening, so I'm not sure if a longer version is what I need, but I do realise the power of re-mixing an album and if it has been done well, maybe I will enjoy the full length album more.
    I haven't taken the leap to buy this new vinyl edition yet though.

Anyone know where those added extra two minutes in the track one remix are?

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    Anyone know where those added extra two minutes in the track one remix are?
    Must. Not. Answer. In. Catty. Way. MUST NOT!

I’m joking…I don’t know. But hopefully, they are not filled with even more lyrics.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Must. Not. Answer. In. Catty. Way. MUST NOT!

I’m joking…I don’t know. But hopefully, they are not filled with even more lyrics.
    I listened last night and there is a long keyboard solo about 2/3 of the way through. Is that in the original mix as well? If not, maybe that’s it.