Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Lowest Point in Contemporary Popular Music

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Hm. I thought it was OK.

I liked the way in which he singlehandedly compromised classical'n'stuff forever by spoofing the obvious stupidity of "melody" and wearing Jon Anderson's hair there.
    Yeah, maybe I got a higher tolerance level to rap than most here, but I didn't mind it at all

Even kind of fun, really

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    This however...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Disco Duck
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Yeah, maybe I got a higher tolerance level to rap than most here, but I didn't mind it at all
    rap has nothing to do with why I started the thread with that song -- It was the chorus of the song which is sung and nowhere in the vicinity of "on pitch" yet was released as a single....... Is it a grand "spoof" by Biz Markie? Possibly

A month or so ago, I heard a new song a few times on the radio with the usual 808/909/SP1200-ish analog sub-bass kick added but I cant remember which particular song it is. Anyway, the chorus of this song has four chords -- On the last chord, the sub-bass drum is tuned half-a-step out (the other three were correct) and it creates this godawful dissonance in the low end spectrum. The first thing I thought was "How much ca$h did this producer make yet have such a shit-storm get released?" and "Did nobody else hear this?". That is the stuff I intended this thread and the Biz Markie song to be about. I haven't heard it since so it must have fell off commercial radio pre-programmed rotation pretty quick. EDIT: Club DJs probably heard the low end shitstorm very well and probably opted not to play it - If my theory is correct, I'd wager that may be part of the reason why it fell off the radio so fast
    Last edited by klothos; 03-09-2016 at 08:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    rap has nothing to do with why I started the thread with that song -- It was the chorus of the song which is sung and nowhere in the vicinity of "on pitch" yet was released as a single....... Is it a grand "spoof" by Biz Markie? Possibly

Yeah, I had read you well, I believe... The Mozart spoof is more funny than appalling (IMHO, anyway), sort of a reverse slave-racism thing , but done with humour...

I didn't find the words all that offensive either >> I've heard 100 times worse in rap songs

I certainly wouldn't say we've "hit the bottom" with that clip.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Ringo Starr - You're 16, You're Beautiful, and You're Mine
    Have you not heard Sentimental Journey?

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Don't make fun of Ringo. He married a Bond girl. Therefore, he wins. Period. End of story.
    Plus, he dated Barbara Eden.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Disco Duck
    Wow, that could be a tough one to top.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Suspended
    I don't count recordings like "Disco Duck", which are intentionally silly. Any merit they have is in making people laugh rather than making people enjoy music, and that's the way the writer would want it."Shaddap You Face" doesn't count for the same reason, at least not in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I don't count recordings like "Disco Duck", which are intentionally silly. Any merit they have is in making people laugh rather than making people enjoy music, and that's the way the writer would want it."Shaddap You Face" doesn't count for the same reason, at least not in my book.
    +1

On the last chord, the sub-bass drum is tuned half-a-step out (the other three were correct) and it creates this godawful dissonance in the low end spectrum. The first thing I thought was "How much ca$h did this producer make yet have such a shit-storm get released?" and "Did nobody else hear this?".
    I'd hazard a guess that quite a few people were thinking along these lines when they first heard a distorted guitar on the radio.

Suspended
    I'm not claiming this as the ultimate low point, but if you want an example of something which I consider a godawful song, and which is apparently intended in all seriousness as a pop song rather than a spoof, I nominate "Yes Sir I Can Boogie" by Baccara. I will not inflict the clip on you.

Quote Originally Posted by viukkis View Post
    I'd hazard a guess that quite a few people were thinking along these lines when they first heard a distorted guitar on the radio.
    I don't think thats the same thing: a distorted guitar is an effect.........it isn't causing dissonance in the audio spectrum of the song. A person may not like the sound or equate it to a blown speaker, but thats subjective. What Im talking about could be a clean or distorted guitar, but not tuned and played in a different key.

What Im driving at is similar to hearing the Portsmouth Sinfona (who are doing this intentional, so they don't count either)

Suspended
    I've posted a rant before about "lo-fi". A particular hate of mine is songs that sound like they are being played back from a cheap cassette recorder on which the tape is starting to occasionally get stuck, causing an annoying high-pitched squeal. I've heard this quite a few times, mostly in the hip-hop genre.

Australian hip-hop outfit Hilltop Hoods seem to be serial offenders in this regard.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Was Biz Markie being silly or was he being serious? For assisted reference, please refer back to the music video.

This gets my vote. I absolutely hate this piece of crap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mqr9w6zp7pw

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post

Bill
    The ad that preceded it was nice though. Too bad about the "song".

Not sure this is contemporary...

"Someone left a cake out in the rain. It took so long to bake that I don't I can take it. Again, Oh no"... or words to that effect.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    thats not what Im talking about....but, OMG, what a horrible song

At least she was hot........I cant say that when I hear similar music from William Shatner

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    What makes you think the lowest point has passed us? It could get worse.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Not sure this is contemporary...

I know thousands of Dutch people that can do as bad, if not much worse

thats not what Im talking about....but, OMG, what a horrible song

At least she was hot........I cant say that when I hear similar music from William Shatner
    There is much worse in La Chanson Française, even by resected artistes like Gainsbourg

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I know thousands of Dutch people that can do as bad, if not much worse
    But this guy makes a living from it

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    But this guy makes a living from it

I've been 11 years in North Halland, ad the Dutch never cease to amaze me

BTW, a few Flemish can rival to him as well.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post
    "Someone left a cake out in the rain. It took so long to bake that I don't I can take it. Again, Oh no"... or words to that effect.
    Macarthur Park was, IMHO, the best single of 1968.

Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post

Bill
    Wow, is that crap or what? And this "rappa" is probably worth millions.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.