Thread: FEATURED CD - Riverside : Anno Domini

FEATURED CD - Riverside : Anno Domini

In memory of Piotr Grudzinski.

Per SoT:
    Anno Domini High Definition is another quality CD from Riverside, throw in the additional seven tracks on the very good "Live in Amsterdam" DVD, (which comes as a bonus with the special edition) and you basically can't go wrong.

Riverside's fourth album is the start of a new phase, with their previous trilogy now completed, culminating with that very fine CD Rapid Eye Movement from 2007. Riverside's albums have their appeal with both the progressive rock and metal fans; well Anno Domini High Definition will see that pattern continue, as this one also has a great mix of light and heavy music. Anno Domini High Definition is a vibrant release, as Riverside sound energized, their arrangements are intricate and robust, yet it's not a full on concept release as such, but there is a theme reflecting the times that we live in.

"Hyperactive" is the first and shortest of five tracks, a brief keyboard introduction is replaced by the sounds of heavier and masterly performed progressive musicianship, and speaking of keyboards this CD has its share including those very fitting organ sounds. Mariusz Duda's punchy bass playing brings "Driven To Destruction" to life, as the band kicks into the groove. Riverside's music could never be labeled as monotonous or boring, certainly not with those like "Egoist Hedonist", this stellar track is a glowing testament to that and the following "Left Out". "Hybrid Times" is quite the heavy way to conclude Anno Domini High Definition, and again Riverside's enthralling music really sweeps you away. Then it's all over, but you are more than content, knowing what a great CD you have to revisit.

Riverside have another gem with Anno Domini High Definition, and the fact is that other progressive bands should be looking over their shoulders, as one day they may well see Riverside go shooting past.
    This, and one other review, here:
    http://seaoftranquility.org/reviews....ontent&id=8282

Regards,

Duncan

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I was surprised how much I enjoyed this when I revisited it.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Yeah this is the one that pulled me in. Love the energy.

This is the only Riverside cd that I do not own. Every time I listen to it online it sounds so discordant and lacking in melody. I'm trying again right now, maybe the penny will drop..

Very good album. Took me a little while to get into it though.
    The Prog Corner

I am not huge Riverside fan but this is definitely my favorite one of their albums.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

My favorite of theirs...
    Enjoy the moment... It's the only way to fly!

Kick ass in every way imaginable. Full of energy and great melodies throughout.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Replaced by Spocks Beard at ROSfest
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I can't listen to this right at the moment. Too sad...
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

really, the only album I like from these guys a fair amount. It seems to be more punchy/riffy than their others.

Great album..reminds me of PE chat and the gagliarchives..

One of their best.

Nope, the only track I like is Left Out I'm afraid. I love all the other Riverside's albums.

This is their most direct, visceral album. Not so much of the meandering atmospheric stuff. I like it a lot but it's not my fave. I do however LOVE the DVD that came with the early pressings. I wish them well after the tragic dead of their guitarist.
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

Love this band. I lost my mind when I heard their first album played over the intercom at a NEARfest (don't recall what year). Very bummed out about Piotr's death.

Certainly the "heaviest" of Riverside's albums, but I love their more atmospheric stuff as well.

Their latest album Love, Fear and the Time Machine is fantastic. I would be very sad if the band decides to call it quits and it ends up being their last (though I could hardly blame them if that's what they decide).

I have them all, and this is my favorite, especially the track Left Out. Every note by Piotr is perfect- such restraint and taste. I've been fortunate enough to have seen them four times, and this material worked so well live.

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    really, the only album I like from these guys a fair amount. It seems to be more punchy/riffy than their others.
    The same for me: probably their peak, and their only their album I haven't sold/donated to Goodwill.
    Never really understood all the hype about Riverside: they mix of influences and direct quotations from PT, earler Pain of Salvation and pop-adaptation of late Pink Floyd style always sounded quite secondary to me.