Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Experience Hendrix: The Jimi Hendrix apprication thread.

If anyone wants to hear something absolutely incredible, listen to this version of "Machine Gun" from his Berkeley 1970 soundcheck. It eclipses the famous "Band of Gypsies" version.

Nobody can touch this playing, IMO.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Same thing happened in his Isle Of Wight show of the same year.

Hopefully one day the decades-long snafu concerning the Royal Albert Hall footage will be resolved. Doesn't seem to have been a particularly cohesive audio release of that material either. 'Little Wing' from one of those shows is one for the ages...at least that's been on a few collections over the years.
    Agreed. There are some great recordings out there from the RAH, though. I have one from the unofficial DVD soundtrack which is blistering. I don't know if it will ever see the light of day, officially. That performance, IMO, is as good as it gets. Best versions of many songs (except "Purple Haze/Wild Thing" which is out of tune). The footage blows. It was done back when, for some stupid reason, the cameramen were hung up on showing everything except the fucking guitar work.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Live at Atlanta is far from the best live of Jimi either official or unofficial. I just can't get over how drawn I am to listening to something "newly" released by his estate. How sick is that? Is not like the man was a guitar god...oh, he was a guitar god...oh, never mind then.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post
    I just can't get over how drawn I am to listening to something "newly" released by his estate. How sick is that?
    A couple months ago I put together a compilation of all the tracks, well, all the tracks I thought were worthwhile, that had been released by the estate since Jimi stopped recording new material. It made a nice 70-minute CD. Nothing groundbreaking, nothing top tier, nothing indispensable, but it made a very nice "bonus tracks" CD.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    A couple months ago I put together a compilation of all the tracks, well, all the tracks I thought were worthwhile, that had been released by the estate since Jimi stopped recording new material. It made a nice 70-minute CD. Nothing groundbreaking, nothing top tier, nothing indispensable, but it made a very nice "bonus tracks" CD.
    As corny as this sounds, can you give me the list of songs so I can do the same. I never even thought of making a personal "Best Of Jimi" in case Janie objects! LOL

Banned
    As for Electric Church, seeing Hendrix perform these songs is far more entertaining than just hearing them. It was filmed and the transferred to Bluray.

As corny as this sounds, can you give me the list of songs so I can do the same. I never even thought of making a personal "Best Of Jimi" in case Janie objects! LOL
    Not corny at all.

1. Tears of Rage (West Coast Seattle Boy)
    2. Midnight Lightning (South Saturn Delta)
    3. Crying Blue Rain (Valleys of Neptune)
    4. Easy Blues (People, Hell and Angels)
    5. Slow Blues (The Jimi Hendrix Experience Boxed Set)
    6. Inside Out (People, Hell and Angels)
    7. Jam #292 (Blues)
    8. Title #3 (The Jimi Hendrix Experience Boxed Set)
    9. Villanova Junction Blues (People, Hell and Angels)
    10. Bolero (West Coast Seattle Boy)
    11. Bleeding Heart (People, Hell and Angels)
    12. Pali Gap (South Saturn Delta)
    13. Hey Gypsy Boy (People, Hell and Angels)
    14. Electric Church Red House (Blues)
    15. Red House (Live) (Live At Woodstock)
    16. Red House (Valleys of Neptune)

The Red House from In the West is, in my not so humble opinion, the best and most incendiary version of that song. Unfortunately, there is not and probably will never be a YouTube version to share.
    Last edited by The Dark Elf; 03-01-2016 at 08:11 PM.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

^That version is on the 'purple box' called The Jimi Hendrix Experience. Most of the original In The West (save the first two Isle Of Wight tracks) seems to be on that, and not the substituted versions which it appears the In The West CD reissue used for the Royal Albert Hall tracks.

That box is a good 'alternate anthology', once you have the core albums.

just in case this thread goes to PM land
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Not corny at all.

1. Tears of Rage (West Coast Seattle Boy)
    2. Midnight Lightning (South Saturn Delta)
    3. Crying Blue Rain (Valleys of Neptune)
    4. Easy Blues (People, Hell and Angels)
    5. Slow Blues (The Jimi Hendrix Experience Boxed Set)
    6. Inside Out (People, Hell and Angels)
    7. Jam #292 (Blues)
    8. Title #3 (The Jimi Hendrix Experience Boxed Set)
    9. Villanova Junction Blues (People, Hell and Angels)
    10. Bolero (West Coast Seattle Boy)
    11. Bleeding Heart (People, Hell and Angels)
    12. Pali Gap (South Saturn Delta)
    13. Hey Gypsy Boy (People, Hell and Angels)
    14. Electric Church Red House (Blues)
    15. Red House (Live) (Live At Woodstock)
    16. Red House (Valleys of Neptune)
    Nice list, thanks. I'm surprised that you only included two versions of Red House.

Picked up the full Woodstock gig only a year or so ago. Essentially a "pick up" band, I imagine Hendrix telling those guys "Look, I'm going for it so try to keep up, but don't get in my way!" He indeed "went for it;" he just slays.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Hendrix at Woodstock is fantastic !
    Star spangled
    Purple haze
    Villa nova junction

I love Jimi:

"Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Picked up the full Woodstock gig only a year or so ago. Essentially a "pick up" band, I imagine Hendrix telling those guys "Look, I'm going for it so try to keep up, but don't get in my way!" He indeed "went for it;" he just slays.
    If you hear some of the Woodstock boots that feature Larry Lee singing and trading leads with Hendrix, well, all I can say is that Hendrix had some mighty strong shoulders and carries the show. And even mixed down, the two conga players were annoyingly off in a world of their own. No loss there.

I'm surprised that you only included two versions of Red House.
    Count again

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I love Jimi:

Jimi or Ganja?

Count again
    Doh!

If you hear some of the Woodstock boots that feature Larry Lee singing and trading leads with Hendrix, well, all I can say is that Hendrix had some mighty strong shoulders and carries the show. And even mixed down, the two conga players were annoyingly off in a world of their own. No loss there.
    Yes, but those two songs are pretty lame. I still think they should have been kept on the official release for continuity. It's unfortunate that the other musicians were not picked up in the recording, as they had a pretty unique sound. The DVD has alternate footage that some guy filmed from the side of the stage with a betamax camcorder. He actually picked up footage that the official cameramen missed while re-loading film. I always wondered if that guy picked up the true sound of all the musicians. He actually got a chance to meet Jimi after the gig to play the footage for him.

They are all more or less trying to keep the pace with Hendrix.
    Look at the others at Villa Nova Junction - they are all guessing where he is going and thus not very sharp, even Billy Cox.
    I doesnt matter, Hendrix is taking it away !

Well, yeah, but Villanova Junction is not something that they played much. He seemed to be on a mission that day. Even Mitch had his work cut out for him. I remember the first time I got a recording of the entire set many years before it was officially released. Hearing the unedited jam after PH was a fucking revelation. I know of no other Hendrix performances where he just steps aside and lets loose like he did.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    The DVD has alternate footage that some guy filmed from the side of the stage with a betamax camcorder.
    In 1969?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    In 1969?
    Well, maybe not a Betamax, but it was a Sony videotape recorder of some sort. Might have been 3/4" instead of 1/2"

EDIT:

The extra footage was called "A Second Look"

"Entitled 'A Second Look,' this incorporates black-and-white video footage shot by then 22 year-old Albert Goodman, who had used one of the very first SONY CV open-reel 1/2-inch videotape units. This 'Second Look' incorporates Goodman's footage, which provides further insight into how the audience was influenced by the music of Hendrix's new group 'Gypsy Sun & Rainbows.'

This video captured Jimi playing "Hear My Train a Comin'" while the official cameras were not filming

Suspended
    Coincidentally, this upcoming show is being advertised right now. It will be interesting to see what the attendances are like, and what the audience mix is.

Yeah, I remember reading about that amateur footage when the story broke however many years ago it was.