Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Big PROG ROCK names you never got into

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    An instrument he hardly ever used, and certainly never used after the 1960s.
    Well, whatever it was he used.

Quote Originally Posted by yoyiceu View Post
    Wow.
    Oh, but those artists pale next to Steven Wilson.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Robson View Post
    Many of the declared ELP dislike is based upon the fact that it was the only BIG prog band that made such a strong use of classical elements.
    Nonsense.

50% of my playlist is classical and I still dislike ELP. they are just to kitschy for my taste. Too much virtuosity showoff, too little content.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    50% of my playlist is classical and I still dislike ELP. they are just too kitschy for my taste. Too much virtuosity showoff, too little content.

I would agree, although even with ELP I still find things to like. Sometimes...

But yes, they were the pinnacle of outrageous pomp-rock vulgarity. I like them for the same reason I enjoy Liberace, though.

[Hee-hee].
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Nonsense.

50% of my playlist is classical and I still dislike ELP. they are just to kitschy for my taste. Too much virtuosity showoff, too little content.
    They are just too kitschy for your taste, but then again, I'm not supposed to be discussing tastes in a music forum.

And fortunately listening to classical music is not a requirement for liking ELP, LOL .
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I like some of their stuff, but never got the fawning adulation they elicit in their fan-base. Strangely enough, when they stopped trying to write epics (i.e.: the albums between Permanent Waves and Signals inclusive), they immediately improved to my ears.
    Well, I'd say the same fawning adulation that other prog bands elicit in their fan-base.
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

They are just too kitschy for your taste, but then again, I'm not supposed to be discussing tastes in a music forum.

And fortunately listening to classical music is not a requirement for liking ELP, LOL .
    That is exactly what I said: for my taste. So what is the point?

Henry Cow
    Magma
    Captain Beefheart(Those vocals make me cringe)
    The Cardiacs

Of those cited so far, I'd say that I didn't really get into any of these bands below , though I do a have an album or two of theirs (usually the debut album, and maybe the 2nd)
    Kansas
    ELP
    Renaissance
    UK
    Marillion

But from these I might have owned an album, but this is long-gone jistory by now
    Dream Theater
    Asia
    Saga
    Happy The Man
    Fates Warning
    Camel
    Porcupine Tree
    Steve Wilson (all encompassing, from PT to solo,etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    AOR prog
    progressive metal
    neoprog
    Porcupine Tree school of modern prog

that means hundreds of prog names
    That more or less encapsulates the "prog" I don't care for at all
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    The Cardiacs
    Cardiacs (there is no "The" in front of Cardiacs) were never a prog band, not in 1980,1990 or 2000. Regardless of genre though, even if they were a prog band, they would not be considered one of the Big Names in prog rock.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Cardiacs (there is no "The" in front of Cardiacs) were never a prog band, not in 1980,1990 or 2000. Regardless of genre though, even if they were a prog band, they would not be considered one of the Big Names in prog rock.
    Cardiacs are progressive rock in my book.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-P5110 met Tapatalk

ELP. Porcupine Tree before In Absentia, and all solo SWilson albums.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

And listening to classical music is not a requirement for liking ELP.
    Some might even say it's the opposite.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Cardiacs are progressive rock in my book.
    Same here
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I'd have to be another one in the 'ELP' camp I'm afraid - the one prog band who largely proved the genre's detractors right, sadly (imho, of course). I remember riding in a friend's car when one of their live albums was on the stereo, and whichever track it was that was playing degenerated into an endless, truly awful 'blues' jam. At that point I realised that really they were the most expensively-equipped pub rock band in the world. Weirdly, though, I really like like the ELPowell album, which Lake's sometimes excruciating lyrics aside, is akin to ELP without the bullshit.

I'm also not that keen on 1980s King Crimson beyond Discipline, to be honest, which the odd decent track aside ('Three of a Perfect Pair,' for example), seems like a great idea for one album brutally dragged out over three.
    Last edited by kid_runningfox; 02-26-2016 at 02:08 AM.

If the question was what prog bands am I no longer into, then it would be a long list, but I was really into a lot of progsters ages ago so I can't say I *never* got into 'em.

Of the ones that I was never a fan of:

Rush
    Kansas
    Supertramp
    Pink Floyd (aside from the psych era of the late 60s; don't like Dark Side and anything that came after; never considered them prog but I know that some do)
    Jethro Tull (see Floyd comment above about considering them prog)

Actually, I never thought of Kansas and Suptertramp as prog groups when I was really into the big P back in the day, but joining forums like this has me seeing that a lot of people do (and as with Tull and Floyd, an equal number don't)

Henry Cow
    National Health
    Kraftwerk
    Marillion
    Magma

Rush (not really prog to me, more prog metal, and will someone take the mike away from Geddy Lee?!?)
    VdGG (I tried...I REALLY tried...but between Pete Hamill and that street repairs sax...)
    Marillion (invites unfavorable comparison to early Genesis)
    Dream Theater (takes virtuosity to excess farther than ELP in their wildest dreams)
    Yes Post CttE (a couple of solid pieces, but mostly bloated excess or fey fluff. Their tightness left with Broof, IMO)
    Gentle Giant (lots of respect, but too noodling and awkward)
    Pink Floyd Post Animals (Roger, shut up...)

Asia
    Roger Waters solo
    Pretty much all the 80s 'neo'
    Neal Morse solo
    Post Neal Morse Spock's Beard
    Fish-era Marillion
    Most IQ, Rush

But most everything I try to find some redeeming value. These artists I guess just aren't really my thing.

Genesis, Camel, Caravan, anything Canterbury, VDGG
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

King Crimson
    ELP
    VDGG
    Gentle Giant

Neal Morse
    Opeth
    Marillion
    Dream Theater
    Genesis (after Gabriel left)
    Kansas
    Asia
    Glass Hammer
    Magma
    Last edited by lak611; 01-08-2017 at 10:40 PM.
    Laura

VdGG/Hammill
    post- W & W Genesis
    post-Relayer Yes
    Devin Townsend
    Ayreon (do like early Stream of Passion tho')
    Univers Zero
    Mars Volta
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I struggle a bit with the phrase "got into". There are some bands that I liked an album here and there. It could be argued that I "got into" them when it comes to that one or two albums, but much of the rest of their stuff didn't excite me. And even those albums I got into were a bit uneven. Here are the bands I can clearly say I didn't get into though:

ELP
    Kansas
    Jethro Tull
    UK
    Renaissance

Then there are some bands I have a lot of mixed reactions to:

Genesis - I like some of the Gabriel era stuff, but could probably be happy with a single 75-minute CD of my favorite tracks.
    King Crimson - they seem so widely varied it seems like they should've renamed the band a few times. I like the debut, bits and pieces of other albums...much of it leaves me cold.
    Marillion - don't care for the Fish era, like the first couple Hogarth era albums, haven't heard anything after that that I liked.
    Steven Wilson/PT - don't care for early PT (with a couple exceptions like Metanoia, Voyage 34) and the later stuff that I did like for a while I don't return to. I like aspects of SW's most recent work and the live show was great, but...I somehow consider myself more a fan of his work ethic and approach than I am of the music.
    <sig out of order>