Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hawkwind to play Warrior On The Edge of Time and....

Hawkwind to play Warrior On The Edge of Time and....

Hawkwind are to play the complete album plus hints that the album is to be rereleased at last

http://bit.ly/WJCTEu

http://www.hawkwind.com/

Any news Vicky?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Oh man, that's a great rumour, I hope it comes to fruitition.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I owned Warrior on CD for one day...until I found out that the music contained on the disc was actually a Pendragon album! Took it right back to the store! Still have my Atco vinyl.

When did this “playing entire albums all the way through” fad begin? With Phish? Because prior to them, the only ones I knew who did it on a regular basis were Camel. Now everyone makes a point of doing it. I’m not against it, I just couldn’t help but notice a trend.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Siento que debemos saber para el sueño de quién brillará esta luz
    o consagrar una propia estrella" --Alberto Felici

N.P.:“Aquatic 2”-The Necks

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    When did this “playing entire albums all the way through” fad begin?
    The album as an art-form seems to be dying, maybe these are the last gasps of nostalgia for the holdouts.
    American Hollow - my prog band.

I'm not the biggest fan of this "entire album" thing. But in this case I think it's a good idea, 'cause it's their best album alongside Levitation
    and does'nt contain a weak song. I hope they get Simon House back for this one!

There are several Cd's I was lucky enough to have bought new, when they were FIRST released.

Warrior on the Edge of Time was one of them

(Epsilon in Malaysian Pale...is another)

Quote Originally Posted by playbass View Post
    The album as an art-form seems to be dying, maybe these are the last gasps of nostalgia for the holdouts.
    It's marketing for sure, a known quantity, and yes, it's nostalgia based. But these albums are now "standards", and presented as such. I do prefer the "classic album" to the tribute band concept, mostly. Yet it's also proof-positive that "rock is dead". People attend concerts to hear music in the past-tense - "here it is, again".
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Maybe the band can get their collective shite together and make an official release available again. I know the folks at Esoteric would love to do it up right.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

I've no idea who is in Hawkwind these days! But it's good to shine a light on one of their best albums.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I've no idea who is in Hawkwind these days! But it's good to shine a light on one of their best albums.
    I hope they got a new keyboardist, the one they had when I saw them at NEARFest was all wrong for them. Someone else to do their lights/slideshow, too, whoever it was doing it when I saw them was overly fond of that “prolapsing anus” transition, which is NOT pleasant to look at (unless, maybe, you’re flying high on acid. Actually, that explains a lot). Their new bassist/singer was incredible, though.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"'Thin Thighs For Your Man.' But I don't *like* men with thin thighs" --Daria

N.P.:“Waves Part 2”-Jade Warrior

Current members:
    Dave Brock – vocals, electric guitar, keyboards (1969–present)
    Tim Blake – keyboards, vocals (1979–80, 2000–02, 2007–present)
    Richard Chadwick – drums, vocals (1988–present)
    Mr Dibs – vocals, cello, bass guitar (2007–present)
    Niall Hone – bass, guitars, sampling, synthesis and keyboards (2008–present)

They've recorded Blood of Earth (2010) and Onward (2012), plus Hawkwind Light Orchestra (2012)

Space Cadet
    I hope they got a new keyboardist, the one they had when I saw them at NEARFest was all wrong for them. Someone else to do their lights/slideshow, too, whoever it was doing it when I saw them was overly fond of that “prolapsing anus” transition, which is NOT pleasant to look at (unless, maybe, you’re flying high on acid. Actually, that explains a lot). Their new bassist/singer was incredible, though.
    I believe Jason Stuart was playing with them at NEARFest (not sure, I wasn't there)...he has since passed away.

Lino
    I think it's a great idea, and would certainly love to be able to see that show.

Of course, there are rumours abounding that Hawkwind came up with the idea when they heard that spacerockmanifesto plays Assault&Battery/Golden Void, Demented Man, and has been working feverishly on Magnu.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    Maybe the band can get their collective shite together and make an official release available again. I know the folks at Esoteric would love to do it up right.
    Announcement with regards to this album coming shortly. At the moment I have no further details but can confirm a release will be happening this year.

Awesome news, Vicky!

I'm sure a lot of symph weenies (t-i-c) don't like the band, but from all accounts here on PE (I was not present), it sounds as though they just played a crap gig at Nearfest 2007. Too bad, a lot of people don't want to let go of that...

Anyway, I'll be seeing them at HawkEaster, undeterred, eager, excited....

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
    Announcement with regards to this album coming shortly. At the moment I have no further details but can confirm a release will be happening this year.
    S W E E T !

Lino
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    I'm sure a lot of symph weenies (t-i-c) don't like the band, but from all accounts here on PE (I was not present), it sounds as though they just played a crap gig at Nearfest 2007. Too bad, a lot of people don't want to let go of that.
    It depends on perspective.
    Alan Davey quit the band, they hired Dibbs at the last minute, and had 2 weeks to rehearse with the new bass player before NF. It was also a kind of inbetween period for the band... Tim Blake was doing gigs with them back home, but Jason Stuart (RIP) was the short-lived keys man that Nearfest happened to get. Talented fella but as has been mentioned, not the quintissential Hawkwind sounding kind of player....more of a proggy style keyboard playewr as opposed to a sonic assasin. Huw had also been playing gigs with them just a year or two prior, but for NF, only Dave on guitar. As excellent as he is, he's always been a textures guy and not a lead player. During the show, his back was tiring and he actually sat down for some of the show. lol Also, it was my perception (being on the extreme left side of the theatre) that Dave's guitar completely cut out of the sound on our side about 20 minutes in, and only returned towards the end of the show. So sound wise, the NF show didn't have that pattented "full speed ahead" sound that Hawkwind usually provides.

That being said Charles, I fuckin' loved it. Great song selection, great visuals, Dibbs' vocals were great...there were moments of pure bliss where my smile went from ear to ear.

All th

When did this “playing entire albums all the way through” fad begin? With Phish? Because prior to them, the only ones I knew who did it on a regular basis were Camel. Now everyone makes a point of doing it. I’m not against it, I just couldn’t help but notice a trend.
    I'm assuming you're not counting back in the day, when bands like Yes and Pink Floyd played entire albums in concert, right? You're talking about the recent trend of bands playing their old records in it's entirety. Apart from Phish, I remember reading that Cheap Trick was doing this back in the late 90's (and I believe are still doing it). They'd do a three or four night stand in a given city, and across the three or four nights they'd play their first three or four albums in their entirety (with each night getting a different album).

Pink Floyd did Dark Side Of The Moon in it's entirety on selected nights on their 94 tour. Not sure who was doing that kind of thing before that.

The reason bands are doing it is drum up fan interest. I think the thought is fans will often stay home from shows by bands that they "used to like" because you're never sure what they're going to do, or they may do two or three of the old songs you'd love to hear in concert, but they're also gonna do a lot of stuff you may not be too crazy about. So for instance, when Rush announced they were doing the whole of Moving Pictures in concert, that tapped into a section of their fan base who were excited at the prospect of getting to hear, let's say, The Camera Eye in concert, but otherwise might have stayed at home.

Mind you, with a lot of these bands, the chosen album is invariably one that they're already doing half the record anyway. For instance, when I saw Rush on the Vapor Trails tour, they did Tom Sawyer, YYZ, Vital Signs, Red Barchetta and I think Limelight. Likewise, there were certainly plenty of songs off British Steel that Judas Priest never stopped playing, so it wasn't like they had to relearn the entire album. Same thing with Cheap Trick, on any given tour, I bet their doing most of the songs that were on At Budokan (and therefore were on their first three albums).

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Excellent news.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Awesomesauce!

Lino
    I have a feeling you're going to sell a lot of those, especially with the excellent quality with which you've released the other Hawk stuff! Welllll done!

So did the rights have to be bought or something? Here's an interesting thing that happened to our band: We've posted many Hawkwind covers on Youtube. Most are for our own use, but they're out there, and we've never heard a boo. When I put up a vid of us doing "Assault & Battery/Golden Void" - within a week, I got a copyright infringement notice from you tube, and next thing you know, the video has advertizing on it. I should have done like Brock does and fuck with the title.

Those eBay ads can be valuable Lino. My mates son has a classmate putting up Call Of Duty montages he records as he plays the games, he has a ton of followers, eBay approached him to add in ten second adverts at 10 cents a hit.... He has made £45k UK in nine months.... Not sure the Hawks will net you close!

I love this featured album tour gimmick, I'm off to see Kraftwerk at Tate Modern in a few weeks, they are playing an album a night over eight nights in the gallery, it's going to be something special.