Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Eloy working on concept album about Joan of Arc

Eloy working on concept album about Joan of Arc

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet. If it was I haven't seen it. I just saw it mentioned on facebook so I thought I would post it here. I'm sure Frank wouldn't mind.

Dear ELOY friends,
    Firstly, sorry for the long communication hiatus on our part. The band has been on a break and as such there has been no news.
    Unfortunately, we no longer live all in one place, have very different lives, and it has become more difficult to organise things together. Nevertheless... »the fire is still burning« and I have always succeeded in reactivating ELOY in a mostly stable formation!
    Our very successful concerts in 2011, 2012 and 2013 were met with truly sensational feedback – both in the media and by you. This has led me to take on a very special, highly complex work whose realisation will require more time and effort than was ever necessary for any of the band’s other projects. I am aware of what I am letting myself in for but, motivated by the experience of the tour, I wanted a lofty goal and have set the bar very high.
    I have chosen a topic that I have had in mind for many years and originally intended to use for a solo project and stage work: namely the equally unique, touching and fantastic story of Joan of Arc, for which I have found the highly appropriate and distinctive title, »The Vision – The sword – And The Pyre«.
    With my deep knowledge of the story, I had no shortage of musical vision for this ambitious work. I envisaged a musical melange combining diverse tonal and stylistic elements that merge by the end to a coherent whole. An emotional musical firework with powerful choirs and symphonic orchestral arrangements but also forceful guitars, pulsating rhythms and atmospheric waves from the keyboards. Since those are indeed all essential aspects represented by ELOY, I quickly came upon the idea of producing the work not only as a musical spectacle for the stage, but to invite my fellow musicians from the band for a creative role in creating a two-CD concept album.
    Although the circumstances mentioned above mean the working conditions are not optimal, and therefore everything will take significantly longer, this creative challenge is certainly worth it. I am therefore very pleased that I could persuade my scattered bandmates to once again accept such a challenge, despite the significant organisational difficulties.
    Thank you for your patience. I am of the firm conviction that we will be able to put an end to the wait before the year is out. You can expect a work full of energy and passion. Let yourself be surprised!
    Faithfully yours,
    Frank Bornemann

Wow. Great! I thought they hung it up after the last tour.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    It's gonna sound like every other Eloy album. Which is great, IMO.

Great News. I believed that the last tour was their final goodbye.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    When it comes to playing live they basically said that it was over. But this project has been on Frank Bornemann's mind for years and I had my doubts wether it would ever come to fruition but based on the all the reports they have actually started recording so hopefully he is able to finish it.

I also thought there would be no more new Eloy, so this is a very pleasant surprise!

Eloyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
    flute juice

I love Eloy, a new album will be a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I love Eloy, a new album will be a treat.
    +1

Having a big grand concept could work well for them. I thought their last album was lacking but am a fan of most of the catalog.

Astonishing.

More Eloy!!

I'd love to hear them harken back to the sound they had on Floating and Inside.... All the post-Planets stuff leaves me indifferent.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Didn't Pope Francis do a prog album recently? Since, it's on a theme that's close to the church, maybe he can do a guest spot on a couple of tracks.

Hopefully they will include an updated cover of the awesome OMD song: Maid of Orleans....!

come on, who wants to sing along?

If Joan of Arc, had a heart,
    Would she give it as a gift
    To such as me, who longs to see,
    How an angel ought to be

Her dream's to give her heart away,
    Like an orphan along the way
    She cared so much,
    She offered up her body to the flames

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Cookie Monster Guitarist Onomatopoeic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    When it comes to playing live they basically said that it was over. But this project has been on Frank Bornemann's mind for years and I had my doubts wether it would ever come to fruition but based on the all the reports they have actually started recording so hopefully he is able to finish it.

Well, the last I heard, Frank still owns Horus Studios in Hanover.

http://www.horus.de/

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Eloy has the new album cover on the Facebook page.

Out on 24th March

Can't wait!!

Glad to see this thread revived. I wonder if they will tour behind it. Have they ever played in the US?

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Glad to see this thread revived. I wonder if they will tour behind it. Have they ever played in the US?
    never. they were scheduled to play NEARfest apocalypse but had to cancel when Frank Bornemann broke his leg in a car accident. as far as i'm concerned, they owe us