Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: Blues, anyone?

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly
    Unfortunately, the show was underwhelming. Mato played fine, but just seemed to be going through the motions and everything was a pale imitation of the original band that were so good back in the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by abc123
    Considering that this band (that I'd never heard of) is said here to be really good at times during their history, hate to say this: didn't enjoy that particular performance of Little Wing, at least it was live and the end of a gig (where fatigue and vocal wear etc can set in) not a studio output (consolation I guess). Heard many performances of that song by many.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo
    But what I have heard from Mato lately does seem tepid. Like so many blues players, his shortcoming is songwriting. When he's playing live and feeling the burn, Mato can be one of those players that synthesizes his influences into something of his own.
    You all make a good point, and I wish I'd had the chance to see Indigenous years ago when they were starting out, so I could make a comparison with seeing them recently. I did feel that the performance was energetic and fun. There is much to be said for being there for a live summer night's show by a band whose albums I have enjoyed through the years. Watching the video of the band playing "Little Wing," it does seem a bit tired, but it didn't feel that way at the show. Indigenous kept the audience entertained for two hours, I enjoyed it, and, as I said before, I did leave with a smile on my face. Maybe later I'll check out some videos of early performances by the band, to see what I was missing by not attending one of their shows back in the day. As a geezer, I often forget videos exist and only experience a band by shows I have personally seen, and by their album output. Maybe I'll catch up and join the 21st century before it's over.

Frog in boiling water

Oh, for sure. Not a scholar, by any means...but I have a lot of faves like:

Robert Johnson
    Muddy Waters
    Leadbelly
    Sonny Boy Williamson
    John Lee Hooker
    Howlin' Wolf

We don't get a lot of national tours coming through Eastern Iowa, but due to proximity to Chicago, we do have a small but pretty great blues festival every September.

This lady headlined two years ago and made the earth shake. If you like your blues truly old-school it doesn't get any better than this.

Quote Originally Posted by abc123 View Post
    Doug H talking about SRV playing Hendrix ...and he adds notes...

https://youtu.be/SGCY1pYgkTM
    Same song, different guitarist, very nice
    https://youtu.be/ilH77-JLEic

Piano blues, with talk first.
    https://youtu.be/jSWYbVi4XlI

Audio only. Some day, we'll get the footage released.

"The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Audio only. Some day, we'll get the footage released.

Check this, because: it's good work + viewer comments seem to point it to your'a way. Discovered it after was playing along to same guy's (same youtube account's) Liitle Wing
    https://youtu.be/yIw-thTrSrA

Pat O'Brien