Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Steve Howe quits Asia?

Steve Howe quits Asia?

According to a classic rock prog tweet. More time to concentrate on that new Yes album?!

They also say more news to follow, so it's a bit unconfirmed at present. Watch this space.

"Steve Howe has left Asia, the band have confirmed.

The guitarist has decided to concentrate fully on other projects, departing the band he co-founded in 1981 with John Wetton, Geoff Downes and Carl Palmer.

Howe says in a statement: “Myself and the band wish to thank their fans for the enthusiasm shown during the original members’ reunion. I will continue with Yes, and with my trio and solo guitar work. I wish my friends continued success.”

The band will announce their future plans in due course."

Smart man. Probably the best musician he plays with these days is his very own son. Who knows? Maybe he realized that, given the respect and artistic stature he has achieved in music, he doesn't need to schlepping around the world pedaling crappy corporate arena-rock to small, theatre-sized audiences.

They should continue as a three-piece.

Banned
    whoa

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    "Steve Howe has left Asia, the band have confirmed.

The guitarist has decided to concentrate fully on other projects, departing the band he co-founded in 1981 with John Wetton, Geoff Downes and Carl Palmer.

Howe says in a statement: “Myself and the band wish to thank their fans for the enthusiasm shown during the original members’ reunion. I will continue with Yes, and with my trio and solo guitar work. I wish my friends continued success.”

The band will announce their future plans in due course."

Smart man. Probably the best musician he plays with these days is his very own son. Who knows? Maybe he realized that, given the respect and artistic stature he has achieved in music, he doesn't need to schlepping around the world pedaling crappy corporate arena-rock to small, theatre-sized audiences.
    three posts in....and the thread turns to crap. Thanks a lot.

Wow.

Color me disappointed.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

When they re-formed they said it was a five year project so he's served his contract!!

Hardly a surprise. Some fresh blood was what Asia needed (and benefited from) in the early 90s, and also what it needed when the Payne line-up had clearly run its course by the time of 'Silent Nation' (I like the Payne era in parts, but that was woeful to my ears). IMHO, a change might also be what the band needs now. I don't think they've ever made more than two consecutive top-notch albums, but I'm not slagging off the band or its style. I wonder if they'll drop this ridiculous "Original Asia" crap, and acknowledge the band's full history now. Surely they'll have to, if they're to continue with a different guitarist. Otherwise it would be even more absurd (if such a thing were possible).

If I were a troll, I'd probably be posting something like "Big deal. A superb guitarist who quit the least interesting of all his musical projects. Their first album was a novelty that was surprising, catchy & very good, but the subsequent love for the band for many was just by association".

But, as I am not a troll, I won't post that.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I'm not exactly the biggest Asia fan out there, but...

There aren't too many bands that can pull together a reunion of all four original members and manage to tour consistently (and with reasonable enough success), and even produce not one but THREE albums that were well-received by the fans. I think that's a fantastic run for ANY band in its twilight years.

Props and good luck to 'em all with whatever they all do next.

When asked they had said they wouldn't be performing as Asia on the Cruise To The Edge, even though all 4 would be on the boat. Maybe this has been coming for a while.

bummed. every tour of the reunion that i've seen has been great. i'm glad I got to see them.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkpanther View Post
    When asked they had said they wouldn't be performing as Asia on the Cruise To The Edge, even though all 4 would be on the boat. Maybe this has been coming for a while.
    very. VERY good point. Good on you for remembering that Giant Clue.....

I hope this means that he'll be doing another Trio recording.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I hope this means that he'll be doing another Trio recording.
    Yes, totally agree. I really dug Traveling, the two other guys really try to challenge him. This is Howe at his best, as far as in 2012 or 2013 is concerned, sitting down with his ol 175, and playing his ass off.

Also, the guy seems to have a lot on his plate, and he's a senior citizen, now, and mentioned something about his wife commenting that something had to go. Why not this? He doesn't even write most of the songs, from I can gather. It's really not his project that he has a vested interest in. Unlike Yes.

Here's hoping that this means a new YES album is a go.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

There's been interviews over the last couple of years where Howe has talked about not having room for other activities because he's so busy with Asia and Yes, and how he won't go on doing both forever. So a surprise, but the signs where there. I understand his departure now is entirely amicable. As I understand it, Asia will continue on. (What implications this has for AFJP, I don't know.)

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

howe's replacement has already been announced, folks!

http://www.progrockmag.com/news/asia...s-replacement/

Won't they just bring Mandy Meyer in now?

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post

Sam Coulson... who's been working recently with Guthrie Govan, who was in Asia Featuring John Payne.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

And around and around we go!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    And around and around we go!
    And where she stops, the cash register knows!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post

is that a joke? That picture is a more recent Asia Promo shot with Howe removed and that kid put in...