Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Good, Old rec.music.progressive Days...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

The Good, Old rec.music.progressive Days...

Look at this list of names I got from a thread from 12 years ago. I was googlesux at this point (I was pissed at Google for getting rid of Deja.com):

Anthony Nance
    Ben Wolfson
    Cabeza Borradora
    Chad Hutchinson
    gondola bob
    googlesux
    greblracr
    J-Curve
    Karthik Subramanian
    magnus
    Mark Rae
    Mike Borella
    Mivarsh Faz
    Mozorael
    R. Totale
    Richard Barnes
    Scanmaster
    Sean McFee
    Stephen
    Steve
    Tracy Barber

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I was on there. I go back to before the big renaming of '87? when it was just net.music, though in those days I couldn't post, just read.

I was on there off and on also for quite a bit especially around 99-2001 but even a little later I believe. I don't think I discovered it until at least mid 99 but when I did I posted and read it a lot. I wonder what happened to some of those people. I also used to write reviews for prog.net

My first post to r.m.p was in 2001 and then there's a gap until 2003/2004 for some reason.

I was there, mostly reading in those days. Many of the other usenet groups as well, and the mailing list digests as well, which I recently searched for and found posts of mine as far back as 1991. Loved those days... things weren't quite as readily available as they are now, but there was more of an excitement factor in those early internet days.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Wasn't it a.m.p. first? I went by Panurge.

Never read r.m.p as much as I did alt.music.yes. Read and occasionally posted from about 94-2000

Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrailroad View Post
    Wasn't it a.m.p. first? I went by Panurge.
    Yeah, it was first alt.music.progressive. Dave, I'm not sure I rememember it being just net.music Was there a prog sub-group or something?

Before I was on a.m.p I was on the prog group on GEnie.

Funny how so many of you didn't know yet not to use your real name!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Yeah, it was first alt.music.progressive. Dave, I'm not sure I rememember it being just net.music Was there a prog sub-group or something?

Before I was on a.m.p I was on the prog group on GEnie.

Funny how so many of you didn't know yet not to use your real name!
    It was pretty much net.everything prior to the big renaming when they came up with all of the rec, talk, comp, and other prefixes. Then there was rec.music.misc for quite a while before there were a bunch more music groups created.

I think Mivarsh Faz was one of the aliases I was using (thank you, Mr. Eddison!). I was also on the Gibraltar newsletter, and I was on GEnie, but I didn’t know they had a prog group. I did contribute to the prog group on Prodigy before that (man, did Prodigy ever suck or what?).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I used to lurk there (don't think I ever posted much myself) starting back in 1997 or so until AOL got rid of newsgroups whenever that was.

The only odd user that I can remember from way back then was BABYMASH, who posted some really strange stuff.

I was on r.m.p. in the early 2000s, before finding PE.

I also remember a visit to the dentist when I was 12 and had 2 cavities filled without the use of an anesthetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I think Mivarsh Faz was one of the aliases I was using (thank you, Mr. Eddison!). I was also on the Gibraltar newsletter, and I was on GEnie, but I didn’t know they had a prog group. I did contribute to the prog group on Prodigy before that (man, did Prodigy ever suck or what?).
    I'd actually forgotten that Gibraltar was a mailing list - I was on that too! I actually sort of thought you were on GEnie. I think I mean GEnie, but I might be wrong. I was on PLink (People Link?) too, maybe it was that?

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    "This is a dangerous place."

The first NF was announced on r.m.p.
    Chad

I remember many a cordial discussion on that message forum...

Quote Originally Posted by nsmith1002 View Post
    The only odd user that I can remember from way back then was BABYMASH, who posted some really strange stuff.
    Ah, good ol’ Babymash! Whatever became of him? PE is lesser for the dearth of his insanity.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I'd actually forgotten that Gibraltar was a mailing list - I was on that too! I actually sort of thought you were on GEnie. I think I mean GEnie, but I might be wrong. I was on PLink (People Link?) too, maybe it was that?
    Well, I was definitely on GEnie. I still have a catchall folder for random stuff called Aladdin on my hard drive as an artifact of my GEnie days. Which is funny, as I wound up never actually installing Aladdin (GEnie’s attempt at a GUI to make it more user-friendly).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

12 years ago? I scoff at such young uns. I was reading usenet news back around 1988. My favorite was alt.fan.frank-zappa but I was a regular in rec.music.progressive.

Hang on, just let me dial up to my BBS and download my .QWK mail using ZModem.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I was on r.m.p. in the early 2000s, before finding PE.
    Newbie.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Newbie.
    Poindexter.

I had never heard of the site back then so I never joined up. I was a regular on Prog.net before starting to review for Sea Of Tranquility. Pete Pardo then invited me to come chat with him on Progressive Ears and I've been here ever since. Aside for one or two short hiatuses, I've been on PE for almost 13 years now.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I still have threads that I saved...
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I had never heard of the site back then so I never joined up.
    It wasn't a site. It was a service provided by ISPs similar to the way they'd provide you e-mail, telnet access, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    12 years ago? I scoff at such young uns. I was reading usenet news back around 1988. My favorite was alt.fan.frank-zappa but I was a regular in rec.music.progressive.
    That was just what I found on a quick search - I'm pretty sure I could find usenet posts of mine going back to about 1990. It would have been sooner, but I don't think there was a news reader for the Atari 800 XL, which is what I used for word processing prior to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Hang on, just let me dial up to my BBS and download my .QWK mail using ZModem.
    I used to connect to BBSs back in I guess the early 80s.

Wow, I didn't even get on the internet for the first time until 1997. Yahoo groups was my first foray into discussion groups like this. I completely missed out on all the usenet stuff (though I do remember dabbling in them but loosing interest quickly).