Thread: Anyone see Fish on his Farewell to Childhood tour?

Anyone see Fish on his Farewell to Childhood tour?

Fish has just announced the final leg of this tour with both European & UK dates! Contemplating attending one of the gigs but just wondering how his voice is holding up?
    Of note he also says he is planning some Clutching at Straws shows!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I hope to god he does one more North American tour - Kickstarter anyone? But possibly NEARfest was the last show of his I'll have seen. If so, thanks, NEARfest.

Fish is seriously looking like one of the Game of Thrones actors ~~ The guy with the Scottish accent who acts as the military chief to one of the potential heirs to the iron throne.

BTW, Rufus, I haven't seen the Farewell to Childhood tour, but I do have the DVD (and CD?) he released from the Return to Childhood tour - which was, like, a couple of years ago, right? This tour sort of sounds like the same thing.

Yeah, I also have the DVD! I'm a 5:1 fan when it comes to concert DVD's so didn't play it much as it was only stereo!
    Not sure if it''s his same band?

Don't go for his voice. Go for everything else.

As much as I love Misplaced Childhood the version on this Return disc (2006) is damn near unlistenable. Just painful. Wait a sec. I think I'm confusing it with Fools Company in 2002 from Holland. Return is slightly better now that I think about it. Still not great though, but I've royally spoiled myself with Marillion bootlegs from 1985 to 1988 so maybe I'm not the best one to ask.

The solo stuff on that DVD (both DVDs) is MUCH better in my opinion.

I've already come to terms that I will never see Fish sing again but I hope the DVD of this tour is good.

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    Don't go for his voice. Go for everything else.

As much as I love Misplaced Childhood the version on this Return disc (2006) is damn near unlistenable. Just painful. Wait a sec. I think I'm confusing it with Fools Company in 2002 from Holland. Return is slightly better now that I think about it. Still not great though, but I've royally spoiled myself with Marillion bootlegs from 1985 to 1988 so maybe I'm not the best one to ask.

The solo stuff on that DVD (both DVDs) is MUCH better in my opinion.

I've already come to terms that I will never see Fish sing again but I hope the DVD of this tour is good.
    Do you not like his voice even on the Marillion albums and earlier solo albums? I definitely agree that on one or both of those later DVDs (I forget which as well) his voice is very weak.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Do you not like his voice even on the Marillion albums and earlier solo albums? I definitely agree that on one or both of those later DVDs (I forget which as well) his voice is very weak.
    I liked his voice then but he wasn't singing in his natural register to begin with. Also he wasn't exactly protecting his voice and the fallout from that has become quite obvious.

That said, I think he still does a great job on his recent material because he's figured it out and writes for it now.

It's like Geddy trying to sing Hemispheres now. He wasn't exactly doing his voice any favors then so how can you expect him to even approach that now.