Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Embarrassed by past songs/albums

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Why are these old threads being randomly bumped, quoting posts made a year or more before??
    So they don't create duplicate threads?

^I see now that it was AdInfinitum that started the thread and brought it back, that at least makes sense. Apologies.

There was another one a couple of days ago who randomly bumped a four year old post to quibble with something.

What Jamool said makes me think of the Buckingham Nicks album. It’s very acclaimed, has a strong fan-base, and frequently tops lists of albums listeners want to see reissued. Yet someone—either Lindsey or Stevie, possibly both—continues to block it. And I don’t think it’s for (entirely) musical reasons, I think it’s just psychologically torturous for them to re-live that time of their lives.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

What is strange is that i thought i started this thread January 2017, not 2016. And i only responded agannbecause i saw the thread on page 1. Cue Twilight Zone Music (Either Rod Serling's or Rush's versionn). Hopefully Geddy isn't too embarrassed by that.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    What Jamool said makes me think of the Buckingham Nicks album. It’s very acclaimed, has a strong fan-base, and frequently tops lists of albums listeners want to see reissued. Yet someone—either Lindsey or Stevie, possibly both—continues to block it. And I don’t think it’s for (entirely) musical reasons, I think it’s just psychologically torturous for them to re-live that time of their lives.
    Stevie wants it reissued, Lindsey doesn't. Ironically, Lindsey wants to release a new Fleetwood Mac album and Nicks doesn't.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Wild Man Fischer's first album has never been reissued because Frank Zappa comes off as kind of a dick on it.

I wonder though, now that Gail is gone, whether the ZFT will rethink this? Of course with Fischer gone too maybe there wouldn't be enough interest.

I think it's down to sheer bloody-mindedness. Neither party is going to be first to give in and get their people to phone the other party's people.

Some years ago there was a series of radio programs about classic albums. The album in question was 'Brothers in Arms' and Mark Knopfler went through it and comprehensively trashed it. Didn't like that, didn't like this, that could have been better, shouldn't have done it that way...

There is one album I've recorded that I don't include in my discography so that I can write selected discography.

I was young, the keyboards were stacked and the vocals were very very dramatic in a balls-in-a-vice kind of way...

// Mattias

Quote Originally Posted by Roth-Handle Studios View Post
    There is one album I've recorded that I don't include in my discography so that I can write selected discography.

I was young, the keyboards were stacked and the vocals were very very dramatic in a balls-in-a-vice kind of way.
    Well, Mattias, y'know if Ronnie Morze had written the same he'd effectively be implying his whole damn output. So complements to you for getting ahead - also creatively speaking.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Missed this thread the first go-around, but I don't think it's so hard to understand.

If I looked at code I wrote in 2002, I'd probably occasionally say "oh it's neat how I figured that out", but for the most part it would probably not be work I'd want to do today.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Adinfinitum View Post
    Why do most artists get embarrassed or uncomfortable talking about or revisiting their past? (...)
    Because most artists are not the fans of themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Svetonio View Post
    Because most artists are not the fans of themselves.
    Because artists know where all the mistakes are, know where all the compromises were made, know better ways to do things now than they did before.

It's like asking the sausage maker why he doesn't eat sausage.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I guess maybe for the same reason a prog fan might not want to admit he/she likes certain albums(ie abacab, tormato, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    It's like asking the sausage maker why he doesn't eat sausage.
    And why lawmakers feel they're above the law