Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: You've Won the Billion Dollar Powerball - Now You Can Buy Your Own Prog Supergroup!

a) I'd contact many groups that I liked that broke up or just stopped playing because of finances and pay them to put out some new music.

b) I'd pay someone to lock Peter Hammill, Matthew Parmenter, and Xavier Phideaux together into a recording studio until they came out with a CD full of music that they all were satisfied with.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by winkersnufs View Post
    And Mr. Baribrotzer (John)... THAT is certainly a worthwhile possibility and I commend you on the 'bigger picture needed' ! Thank You.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    But Baribrotzer's idea is a great one!
    Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    Yeah. This...the best future-forward investment you could make....bringing a robust music education to our youth.
    Thank you all.

The point that kind of disappeared, or didn't get emphasized was that I'm not looking for a supergroup of legacy players - I'm looking for a supergroup or multiple supergroups in the future. The best way I know to do that would be to encourage societal conditions that might create some kind of resurgence or reinvention of progressive music. And the best way I know to do that would be to duplicate what Britain did in the Fifties and Sixties and the Scandinavian countries did more recently: produce a musically literate populace. Then let events take their course.

In a way, this would be a privately-run version of the old National Endowment for the Arts - but unlike the NEA, it wouldn't be hostage to ambitious politicians looking to mollify tight-fisted grouches by cutting "inessentials", or to bootstrap their way into high office by stirring up the culture wars.

I'd put together a festival with groups who were around in 1973 and part of the early Prog explosion (unfortunately some are dead)
    in no particular order:

PFM
    Mahavishnu
    Camel
    Return To Forever
    Embryo
    Crimso
    Mandrill
    11th House
    ELP
    Chicago
    Banco
    Ash Ra Tempel
    Pink Floyd
    Zappa (with George Duke)
    War
    Soft Machine
    Osibisa
    Gentle Giant
    Last edited by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER; 01-11-2016 at 10:34 PM.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Me on drums, Tal Wilkenfeld on bass.

Not too sure how much actual music would get played, but it would sure be super.

Can I buy Transatlantic? Sweet!!!!
    The Prog Corner

I'd buy the Genesis back catalog and force them to release a whole bunch of live shows ..... they'd sell at least one set

I would re-form the classic Yes lineup (well, 4/5ths of it) and have them play the entire Tales from Topographic Oceans for free in every major city of the world as many nights as they needed to so that every living man/woman/child could experience it. Once everybody could hear the beauty of this great work, world peace and harmony would surely be the result!

I've never been a "supergroup" kind of guy... I'd rather put on a festival and invite my favorite young and virtually unknown bands. Something along the lines of the Austin Psyche Fest. No dinosaur proggers invited....They've got cruise ships for shit like that...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I've never been a "supergroup" kind of guy... I'd rather put on a festival and invite my favorite young and virtually unknown bands. Something along the lines of the Austin Psyche Fest. No dinosaur proggers invited....They've got cruise ships for shit like that...
    A Psyche festival? I'll bet that's mental!

Banned
    I'd buy a chain of radio stations and upgrade them to the highest transmission power allowable under law in every major market and hire a bunch of DJ's like you guys to spin whatever you want as long as it's not a bunch of commercial crap.

I would put my management hand in, making sure we represent the diversity of non-commercial/progressive/avant music and really use the airwaves to promote current struggling artists including live broadcast events and bankrolling concerts.

I would also consider starting a sister cable network...

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    I'd buy a chain of radio stations and upgrade them to the highest transmission power allowable under law in every major market and hire a bunch of DJ's like you guys to spin whatever you want as long as it's not a bunch of commercial crap.

I would put my management hand in, making sure we represent the diversity of non-commercial/progressive/avant music and really use the airwaves to promote current struggling artists including live broadcast events and bankrolling concerts.

I would also consider starting a sister cable network...
    That's actually a pretty good idea. And, theres a non-zero chance that radio stations that de-emphasized the same old commercials and commercial music might really stand out and develop a significant audience. . .

regards
    KGH
    www.artbykgh.com

Wherein one can peruse all manner of Digital Artwork & Photography. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Neal Morse, Ed Morse, Fred Morse, Ted Morse, Ned Morse and Yoko Ono.
    Plus Jed Morse, lovechild of Ed, Ted and Yoko. On fuzz kazoo.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Neal Morse, Ed Morse, Fred Morse, Ted Morse, Ned Morse and Yoko Ono.
    A Morse is a Morse.... of course, of course. But you forgot Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I would re-form the classic Yes lineup (well, 4/5ths of it) and have them play the entire Tales from Topographic Oceans for free in every major city of the world as many nights as they needed to so that every living man/woman/child could experience it. Once everybody could hear the beauty of this great work, world peace and harmony would surely be the result!
    Except within the ranks of Yes.

Mentioned this before but it's time for GTR2. Steve Hackett and Steve Howe of course. But joining them will be Steve Hillage Steve lukather and Steve Rothery with Steve Hogarth on vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    Mentioned this before but it's time for GTR2. Steve Hackett and Steve Howe of course. But joining them will be Steve Hillage Steve lukather and Steve Rothery with Steve Hogarth on vocals.
    You forgot Steve Morse on GTR & might as well have Steve Smith on drums.....who should play Bass, Keys???

I'd pay for Korai Orom and Vespero to collaborate!

and I just wasted $20 on the pipe dream...could have Black Star for that

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    No supergroup for me. But I might contact Greg Walker and see how much of the Farfest planning and infrastructure could be reconstituted for a one off concert. I'd underwrite the whole thing, so profitability wouldn't be a consideration.

this!!!

I'd want to be a label owner today, even though I wouldn't care if I lost money at every release.
    But to be a festival or concert hall owner has been a fantasy for the last 15 years.
    I could imagine having complex of two or three concert stage hall and one or two studio attached to it.

one of my version of a festival that would include Art Zoyd's 44 1/2, Univers/Present/Aranis' Once Upon A Time and the Toubifri Orchestra... I'd spend much money to have this concert played on Brussel's Grand Place too
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Toubifri Orchestra...
    I had never heard of these guys at all until your mention here. I looked them up: a crazy, astonishing cross between big-band jazz, RIO prog, punk, and performance art.....

And from what I could glean on Google, almost entirely unknown outside France (I say "almost" because you yourself seem to be from the francophone part of Belgium). Goofy, musically excellent, and vastly French - half of what they do probably makes no sense at all unless you're French yourself, but it's still very entertaining even if you have no idea what the hell they're trying to accomplish. To wit: they repeatedly interrupt their own show for bits of shtick like the flute player's awkward ballet dancing (in large sneakers!), bad circus acts from various band members, or playing almost inaudibly quiet. There's a lot of early Zappa in their presentation, plus a sort of updated Paris avant-garde circa 1925. They also could be described as a French version of such Dutch bands as Flat Earth Society or Willem Breuker's Kollektief.
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 01-14-2016 at 07:19 AM.

^^^

Everyone at this (last) year's RIO Fest in Carmaux saw them and loved them (except for maybe Steve & Ian, who might have gone to sleep early because they were leaving early next morning)

Yeah, one of the reason I would program those three bands together is that you need an extra big stage, because all three formation are 15+ players and two of them are triple or double drumming

Of course, I'd place Toubifri between AZ and UZ/P/A, to lighten up a bit the feel

Another one I would organize would be a Belgo-French JR/F-Zeuhl-Canterbury festival where I would schedule;
    Forgas Phenomena
    Abelians
    Scherzoo
    Unit Wail
    Setna & Neom
    The Wrong Object
    Vak
    Ghost Rhythms
    Aka Moon
    Guillaume Perret & Electric Epic
    Octurn
    and ask PaNoPTiCoN to reform for a one-off thing.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Well, that's another bad super group we don't have to listen to.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

i would pay to have Jon Anderson cloned four times. The original Jon Anderson leading his four clones on various instruments and vocals.

We Have Heaven - a cappella - all Jon - live on stage.

Can you imagine? Wow.
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

I would love to put Tony Banks, Steve Hackett and Anthony Phillips together and see what they come up with. I don't even care who sings