Page 400 of 404 FirstFirst ... 300350390396397398399400401402403404 LastLast
Results 9,976 to 10,000 of 10079

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Back to the horrendous Mad Mike days when we gave away a 3 time 40 goal scorer for nothing special and spent the rest of the time drafting and or trading high round goalies that didn’t pan out for the Isles or drafting underperforming players overall.
    Otherwise known as the good ol' days.

:P

nah, call me a bad fan if you must, but given the years I've been alive the isles have sucked I have much more hatred towards NJ and PHI then I do the isles. (Not that I root for those guys of course...)
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post

nah, call me a bad fan if you must, but given the years I've been alive the isles have sucked I have much more hatred towards NJ and PHI then I do the isles. (Not that I root for those guys of course...)
    I'm actually the same. NJ, Philly and Pitt get my most burning hatred. I'll go a step further and dare to say I have actually rooted for the Islanders in certain (very rare ) situations. Certainly against those 2 teams. Plus I have a bunch of Isles fan friends and even the 2 dudes in here I guess are ok
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I'm actually the same. NJ, Philly and Pitt get my most burning hatred. I'll go a step further and dare to say I have actually rooted for the Islanders in certain (very rare ) situations. Certainly against those 2 teams. Plus I have a bunch of Isles fan friends and even the 2 dudes in here I guess are ok
    Despite Pittsburg being good basically my whole life I never learned to hate them and at times have legitimately rooted for them.

But true. If the Isles were to play the Devils or Flyers in the playoffs I would 100% root for the isles (barring making it more difficult for the Rangers further down in the playoffs).

I’m a little longer in the tooth so I can remember the Broad Street Bullies wining a pair of Cups, the Rangers Davidson standing on his head in goal in ‘79 vs the Isles and the Isles glorious Cup years.

My daughter who is a big hockey fan, said recently that she hopes the Isles Win one that we watch together. Now I don’t know if that means the Isles are headed for the dark ages again or I’m gonna be punching my ticket soon! Afraid to ask 😂

The.Devils have been moving up quickly in the hatred scale over the past 5 years or so. I’ve always like PIT, hated the Flyers since I started watching hockey, but I saved most of my venom for NYR. That has softened over the years because of some new Ranger friends both here and elsewhere, but with the signing of Laviolette, makes them dangerous. Now with the new kid on the block Rempe, I may have to turn up the hate on them again!
    Last edited by Tangram; 03-01-2024 at 02:36 AM.

Now with the new kid on the block Rempe, I may have to turn up the hate on them again!
    Honestly, trying to put my bias aside, this kid is very hard to hate. I don't think I've ever seen a player so happy to be playing in the NHL. I worry about him though. He takes a lot of punches and certainly took some heavy shots from Olivier the other night. If that happens each time he drops the gloves, he won't last very long. Especially now that he's all the rage and every teams tough guy is gonna want a piece. Needs to protect himself better and not just rely on his size. Not to mention he's actually a pretty decent player and benefits the team ON the ice! I must say though that it's nice to have a willing combatant for a change...just work on your technique kid and don't get punched so much!!

Despite Pittsburg being good basically my whole life I never learned to hate them and at times have legitimately rooted for them.
    I am the same way with Boston. I'm supposed to hate them because of the rivalry with the Yankees, but i don't follow baseball much anymore so it really doesn't mean much to me.

The eons are closing
    For me - it's still the Rangers, the fucking Maple Leafs, the Cr@pitals and the Penguins.

My hatred of the Phylers has returned tho due to Tortorella who I despise.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Honestly, trying to put my bias aside, this kid is very hard to hate. I don't think I've ever seen a player so happy to be playing in the NHL. I worry about him though. He takes a lot of punches and certainly took some heavy shots from Olivier the other night. If that happens each time he drops the gloves, he won't last very long. Especially now that he's all the rage and every teams tough guy is gonna want a piece. Needs to protect himself better and not just rely on his size. Not to mention he's actually a pretty decent player and benefits the team ON the ice! I must say though that it's nice to have a willing combatant for a change...just work on your technique kid and don't get punched so much!!
    Saturday night in Toronto: Reaves. You know he's not gonna let the kid come into his building without a challenge.

Regarding hockey hatred, even though it has cooled down over the years, when I was out in Colorado back in the fall I was still able to get dirty looks from people by wearing my Red Wings hat. The bad blood is still there after all these years

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    For me - it's still the Rangers, the fucking Maple Leafs, the Cr@pitals and the Penguins.

My hatred of the Phylers has returned tho due to Tortorella who I despise.
    Conversely, I have had mad respect for the Red Wings, Bolts, Hurricanes and Panthers for awhile and the organization approach to long term success - both in building the right way and once attained, maintenance of that success.

Here in Seattle at the Climate Pledge Arena, many of my coworkers tell me that the Detroit Red Wings fans are the nicest and most pleasant of those traveling to our city. They tell me this as I’m from Michigan.
    Rangers fans can be assholes & we’ve had some fights occur. Avs fans are a bit chippy. Oilers too. Some rivalries are heating up, though I doubt the Kraken will make the playoffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The eons are closing
    Just as I focus on the Flames - they start wheelin dealin' !! Yeah I know the Johnny G. thing burned them - but man, they've been playing great....

How does one replace Tanev?

Sad to see him go to Dallas. They are tough already. Tanev could give them an edge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m a little longer in the tooth so I can remember the Broad Street Bullies wining a pair of Cups, the Rangers Davidson standing on his head in goal in ‘79 vs the Isles and the Isles glorious Cup years.

My daughter who is a big hockey fan, said recently that she hopes the Isles Win one that we watch together. Now I don’t know if that means the Isles are headed for the dark ages again or I’m gonna be punching my ticket soon! Afraid to ask ��
    Thankfully the broad street bullies were well before my time. I guess I should have added the Flyers to that list too...never really that great in my lifetime (aside from that one Finals appearance) but I just have an unsatiable hate for all things philly that they will always be at or near the top of the list for my ire.

I am the same way with Boston. I'm supposed to hate them because of the rivalry with the Yankees, but i don't follow baseball much anymore so it really doesn't mean much to me.
    Good call here too. I also feel like I should have some inherent hate for Boston (especially with the original six rivalry), but I don't really, although I rarely root for them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Just as I focus on the Flames - they start wheelin dealin' !! Yeah I know the Johnny G. thing burned them - but man, they've been playing great....

How does one replace Tanev?
    Calgary's problem is that the teams ahead of them are also playing well; they can't make up any ground.

The eons are closing
    Seriously - everyone in Pacific except Vegas is playing lights out right now...

Someone convince me that Alex Wennberg is worth a second round pick + (especially when someone like Tarasenko went for at most two thirds).

Someone convince me that Alex Wennberg is worth a second round pick + (especially when someone like Tarasenko went for at most two thirds).
    I mean, most of the pending UFAs that are part of these deadline deals aren't worth the picks they're swapped for, but that's the market. I can guarantee you that there was more of a bidding war happening for Wennberg than there was for Tarasenko. There are still several wingers available even after today that may be able to play a top six/nine role but Wennberg, Henrique, Dowd, and Roslovic are essentially it if you're looking to trade for a C that is going to have any shot of making an impact. The fact that Wennberg has had a decent year defensively and can play the PK if needed drove up the price too.

Quote Originally Posted by oilersfan View Post
    I mean, most of the pending UFAs that are part of these deadline deals aren't worth the picks they're swapped for, but that's the market. I can guarantee you that there was more of a bidding war happening for Wennberg than there was for Tarasenko. There are still several wingers available even after today that may be able to play a top six/nine role but Wennberg, Henrique, Dowd, and Roslovic are essentially it if you're looking to trade for a C that is going to have any shot of making an impact. The fact that Wennberg has had a decent year defensively and can play the PK if needed drove up the price too.
    Fair about inflated values at this time of the year. But I'm ok with that when you are targeting people that have the ability to be high impact players. Looking at Wennberg's stats that doesn't seem to be him. And especially for a third line center...seems a bit too high to me. And I feel like that second round pick could have been used for a first line winger/higher potential goal scorer as a better allocation of resources. But I admit I know very little about him, but from the talking head side he doesn't seem to be a focal point to any trade discussions this year.

I assume they aren't done yet, so perhaps this is part of a greater plan, I'm just not terribly enthused. (Especially after florida (who I would consider the class of the east) improved (& improved stronger IMO) today).

Wennberg is better than his stats show. Solid on both sides of the ice. Definitely fills the NYR need for a 3rd line center. They didn't give up their 1st round draft pick or any young prospects so I'm ok with this. Not sure what's going to happen between now and friday. Rumors of one more move to fill the need for a right wing or heavy D man. Hope Drury doesn't give away too much...

The eons are closing
    Isles will trade 2030 thru 2035 1st rounders for a 35+ year old UFA blueliner who will promptly have a lower body injury, miss rest of regular season and be half assed for the playoff run that the Isles miraculously pulled out of their hat to be swept in 4.

You heard it here first.

Wennberg is better than his stats show. Solid on both sides of the ice. Definitely fills the NYR need for a 3rd line center. They didn't give up their 1st round draft pick or any young prospects so I'm ok with this.
    Yeah, this is where I'm at on Wennberg too. His analytics are much stronger than his conventional stats and I always thought he was solid this year when watching the Kraken. I was actually hoping that he would be the guy the Oilers would end up trading for at C...but it's hard to complain about either Henrique or Carrick.

Well your two's optimism does make me feel a little better. Hopefully he can contribute as they think he can.