Page 314 of 405 FirstFirst ... 214264304310311312313314315316317318324364 ... LastLast
Results 7,826 to 7,850 of 10106

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

The eons are closing
    Now The Malaise of JT has cost Babcock his job.

He wont be unemployed for long.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    I'm not buying that. At least not yet. Injuries, poor defense, and lack of a good back-up goalie are the problems IMO. Sadly, I haven't been able to watch a lot of games this year. I'm committed to hitting the gym on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and my Saturdays have been tied up with lacrosse and other events. Those are prime hockey-watching nights!
    Good On Ya for hitting the gym!

I'm not buying it either. The Leafs are a hot mess right now on and off the ice with them having committed too much money against the cap. Have they gotten back under the cap and what happens if they don't?

I wonder if JT goes to sleep thinking that he should have stayed on the Island. He left a mess and he's on another one now. And his old hot mess has really turned it around.
    Last edited by Tangram; 11-20-2019 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Good On Ya for hitting the gym!
    Thanks! I'll be 54 in January and my metabolism ain't what it used to be. Add to that high cholesterol and bordering on high blood pressure and it was time to make some lifestyle changes. I became mostly vegetarian last December and was able to come off my cholesterol meds this year. Since joining the gym I've gone from bordering on high blood pressure to 123/75. I know this is way off topic, but I'm pretty darn proud of myself!

Now, back to hockey! I was at a work event tonight and listening to a great key note speaker talk about marketing to millennials. At the end of the presentation, the host thanked the speaker and then told the crowd about Babcock's firing. I was honestly surprised! I know that some people were expecting it, but I was not...at least not yet.

Sheldon Keefe as his replacement was not a surprise and, I think, is a great move. Keefe has been the head coach of the Toronto Marlies since 2015 and coached the team that won the Calder Cup in the 2017/18 season. He also took the team to the third round last season, and they are doing well this year with an 11-2-3 record.

There are a lot of of former Marlies on the Leafs roster, so Keefe already has relationships with many of the players and likely has a good idea of what they need from a coach. The only thing he doesn't have is NHL experience. But everyone has to start somewhere. He's proven himself to be a great coach in the AHL. Hopefully, he can apply those same skills in the NHL. I'm looking forward to seeing how this move plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Now The Malaise of JT has cost Babcock his job.

He wont be unemployed for long.
    I have not followed Toronto much this year, but did he really deserve to be fired? He was a great coach when he was in Detroit and the team has not been the same since he left.

The eons are closing
    While I kid Esther about JT, the Leafs are more than a coach away. But only so many pieces are changeable, and coach is the easiest.

There are a lot of of former Marlies on the Leafs roster, so Keefe already has relationships with many of the players and likely has a good idea of what they need from a coach. The only thing he doesn't have is NHL experience. But everyone has to start somewhere. He's proven himself to be a great coach in the AHL. Hopefully, he can apply those same skills in the NHL. I'm looking forward to seeing how this move plays out.
    This is basically what the Rangers did with David Quinn, although he came from the college world. It's turned out to be a great situation being the youngest team in the league now. He knows how to work with the ups and downs of kids. I think this will pay off for you.

In other news, I love Brendan Lemieux. So weird saying that because his father is one of my most hated players . Last night against the Caps Tom Wilson was running guys all night and Lemieux finally said enough at the end of the game. Wilson being the much bigger guy had the edge, but Lemieux held his own. More importantly is what that does for a team. Good to see NYR fight back these days. Awesome stuff
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I have not followed Toronto much this year, but did he really deserve to be fired? He was a great coach when he was in Detroit and the team has not been the same since he left.
    I have not had time to read much about this, but word on the street is that the players didn't like him. You've got a team of young players and Babcock's style was very old school and stubborn. Sheldon Keefe is only 39. So the Leafs now have a 33-year-old GM and a 39-yr-old head coach. The times, they are a-changin'.

Keefe's first game is tonight. It's a 9:00 EST start, so I'll be home to watch it. I'd love to see a good, solid win for him.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    While I kid Esther about JT, the Leafs are more than a coach away. But only so many pieces are changeable, and coach is the easiest.
    I've always believed that a bad product is a reflection of bad management..in the case of the Leafs, whom I've been following for 53 years, the bad product does not affect the profitability...Whatever crap that is wearing a Leaf uniform will be supported with never ending devotion. Motivation is purely ego driven and not about the bottom line. In all likelihood, this will not produce a winner.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Thanks! I'll be 54 in January and my metabolism ain't what it used to be. Add to that high cholesterol and bordering on high blood pressure and it was time to make some lifestyle changes. I became mostly vegetarian last December and was able to come off my cholesterol meds this year. Since joining the gym I've gone from bordering on high blood pressure to 123/75. I know this is way off topic, but I'm pretty darn proud of myself!
    I got a couple of years on you. While working at home is great, the lack of exercise from not walking 2 miles each day on the commute and the close proximity to the fridge have changed the shape of my body. Nobody is saying it is good As someone who used to do 2 a day exercises, and played weekly pickup basketball into my 40's, I understand how tough hit is to get back in shape. I recently started to get serious again, but since you have done so well, take a bow. I'll stop or this will be moved to the Damn I'm old thread.

Good luck to the Leafs, I always liked them, but they have a lot of work to do. They have a lot of money tied up in a couple of guys, so its going to be hard. If they can't find a way to keep the puck out of the net, all the firepower they have isn't going to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    I'll stop or this will be moved to the Damn I'm old thread.
    There's a Damn I'm Old thread?

The eons are closing
    Only for centenarians like Geezer Steve!

Proud Member since 2/2002 UnderAGlassMoon's Avatar
    Looks like the Kings have pretty much given up on Kovalchuk, well and their season. One of the worst signings in recent memory. Why Rob Blake or Luc Robitaille thought he could still play at a high level after being out of the league for five years is head scratching. Big waste of money.
    Eric: "What the hell Hutch, it's all Rush, what if we wanted a little variety?"

Hutch: "Rush is variety, Bitch! Rule number one: in my van, its Rush! All Rush, all the time...no exceptions."

From "Fanboys" 2009.

I have not had time to read much about this, but word on the street is that the players didn't like him. You've got a team of young players and Babcock's style was very old school and stubborn. Sheldon Keefe is only 39. So the Leafs now have a 33-year-old GM and a 39-yr-old head coach. The times, they are a-changin'.

Keefe's first game is tonight. It's a 9:00 EST start, so I'll be home to watch it. I'd love to see a good, solid win for him.
    Interesting. He was an old school stubborn coach when he was in Detroit too, but it worked for the most part. I am guessing Detroit's current coach will be on the chopping block by the end of the season. I was really hoping he would succeed since he was a coach for WMU here in Kalamazoo for a while, but the Red Wings appear to be getting worse instead of better.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Interesting. He was an old school stubborn coach when he was in Detroit too, but it worked for the most part. I am guessing Detroit's current coach will be on the chopping block by the end of the season. I was really hoping he would succeed since he was a coach for WMU here in Kalamazoo for a while, but the Red Wings appear to be getting worse instead of better.
    Nobody has come right out and said that, of course, but if you read between the lines it's what people are thinking might have been at least part of the issue. This quote is from Kyle Dubas during a press conference earlier today.

"Our ups and downs, our inconsistency a little bit, and just kind of reading off the players and watching them and how they were reacting to different things (showed) that it was time to potentially go down this path,"

And then from Brendan Shanahan at the same press conference, ""Certainly from a player's perspective you could see the frustration in their eyes and I really thought even in our last game that the players were working hard but there was a sort of a belief missing in them,"

Nice win for the Leafs last night, breaking a 6 game losing streak. Keefe was named first star of the game. LOL!

Pierre Engvall, scored the second goal of the night (short-handed) and his first NHL goal. They showed Keefe after the goal and he looked like a proud Papa, having coached Engvall on the Marlies. This is exactly why I think that Keefe was a good choice to succeed Babcock. Of course, I might be singing a different tune in a few month if they continue to lose.

74169786_10156304225187132_4043182023752286208_o.jpg
    Last edited by ForeverAutumn; 11-22-2019 at 12:51 PM.

Rangers-Habs game got my attention once the Bolts pulled away from Anaheim. Lots of big comebacks this year.

Seems to be more fighting too, or is it just me?

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy Vengeance View Post
    Rangers-Habs game got my attention once the Bolts pulled away from Anaheim. Lots of big comebacks this year.

Seems to be more fighting too, or is it just me?
    What a game! That was a great comeback made so much sweeter being in Booville

There has been more fighting than usual it does seem. I know there has been more in NY. And they are heat of the moment battles which I love, not the sideshow goon vs goon stuff.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    What a game! That was a great comeback made so much sweeter being in Booville

There has been more fighting than usual it does seem. I know there has been more in NY. And they are heat of the moment battles which I love, not the sideshow goon vs goon stuff.
    Like father, like son

EKGzsixXUAAD4S8.jpg

Habs in a bit of a free fall right now, but hey, we got Boston next! Time to man up!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Habs in a bit of a free fall right now, but hey, we got Boston next! Time to man up!
    It sounds like Montreal fans are on board with this team this year. I read that Saturday's game was a sell out.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Team is good. Effort is good. Mental mistakes, esp in their own end are killing them. That and an atrocious PK. We're still 3rd in our division so it's no time to panic.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Largest margin of victory for the B's since the '74-'75 season.

OUCH!

At the risk of rising Birdy's ire, I need to say that Julien is not the man, and Price's market value is higher than his actual value...just sayin' ...

OUCH!

At the risk of rising Birdy's ire, I need to say that Julien is not the man, and Price's market value is higher than his actual value...just sayin' ...
    Well the next few games and their response to this debacle will be very interesting. Hope it was just a blip on the radar and that it's not something bigger.
    We are the grandchildren of apes, not angels
    But only we are gifted with the eyes to see
    On days without FEAR, when our heads are clear
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
    Well the next few games and their response to this debacle will be very interesting. Hope it was just a blip on the radar and that it's not something bigger.
    Been saying that for 5 games now. I keep expecting the team to bounce back. Still do. Just have to tighten up in their own end and stop taking penalties because our PK has to be the worse it has ever been...