Page 98 of 405 FirstFirst ... 4888949596979899100101102108148198 ... LastLast
Results 2,426 to 2,450 of 10104

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    this game will be the first time Crosby and Toews face each other in an NHL game.

Wow. That's hard to believe.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    A light snow has just started here in Chicago. The game should look awesome on tv !!
    Yep, sure did.

And in person, much like a football game-
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Flyers had an excellent weekend, rebounding nicely after putting up a lousy effort against San Jose in their first game back. But two wins against NYR and WAS are just what the doctor ordered.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Sorry but the "Heritage Classic" was a bit of a sham. The game was played in a domed stadium with the roof closed (it was raining outside). I didn't get a sense that the game was any different that any other of the other 81 games in the schedule. The fact that there were 54000 people there says something, but I doubt they all paid to get in. I heard that there were 7000 minor league hockey players in attendance and I'm guessing they were freebies to "paper the stadium". I'll take the two points and sorry about Daniel Sedin going down. Still, it probably represents the revenue of an additional home game, so I'm sure they will keep doing until the people vote with their feet.
    Last edited by rottersclub; 03-03-2014 at 01:47 PM.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    Sorry but the "Heritage Classic" was a bit of a sham.
    I thought so too. I wasn't able to watch the whole game as I was studying for an exam, so I just turned it on for a few minutes. It looked like there was snow on the field outside of the rink. I had to wonder if that was brought in for effect to give the appearance of an outside game for TV.

I did love the retro jerseys though. Those were pretty nice.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    I thought so too. I wasn't able to watch the whole game as I was studying for an exam, so I just turned it on for a few minutes. It looked like there was snow on the field outside of the rink. I had to wonder if that was brought in for effect to give the appearance of an outside game for TV.

I did love the retro jerseys though. Those were pretty nice.
    I think the snow was just there for effect.

The sweaters were a little "busy". The HNIC guys said they were getting dizzy trying to follow the players down at ice level. Speaking of which, to be fair to Jim Hughson, he said he had a newfound respect for the players after doing the play-by-play from ice level. He said the speed at which the players must make decisions is ridiculous and it's a wonder that they ever complete a pass let alone score as often as they do. My wife and I sit down at ice level now and then and I totally agree that the speed of the game is astounding when you are at that level. Even better is hearing and seeing all the childish little things these overgrown kids do to each other. It's pretty hilarious how petty they can be.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.

Trade deadline today, isn't it? Habs acquired Weaver from the Panthers. Kinda like a slightly younger version of Francis Bouillon...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Not a big fella for a defenceman, is he? The Canadiens continue with their predilection for smaller players.

I will be travelling tomorrow and I expect a TON of player moves. Have fun everybody!

Luongo is again a Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by oilersfan View Post
    Luongo is again a Panther.
    Yep, and what does Vancouver get in return....? Wow, that makes some of those horrific Leaf trades over the last two decades seem a little easier to swallow. Hopefully he gets the respect he deserves there. Maybe the Amazing Diving Sedins will be next?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Vancouver is obviously playing for the future at this point. No real chance at the playoffs without both of the Sedins healthy and, even if they do slide in at the eight spot, no way can they get through that conference. In only a matter of months they've gone from Schneider-Luongo to Lack-Markstrom in net.

Brodeur shined in what was possibly his last game as a Devil. Team played well for him and score with 37 ticks left to win. Jagr gets career assist #1041, moving him into 9th place all-time just 8 behind Gordie for 8th. STL vs. Tampa on now; Ryan Miller's home debut. 2-2 after 2. Let's see, Isles at Winnipeg also on, 2nd period also just ending with NY up 2-1. No hockey for 15 minutes...aaarrrrgggghhhh....
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

And the Isles do their annual salary dump, which is already near the bottom of the league. Wang can't sell quick enough.

Some rumors are apparently swirling that the Hurrican'ts are poised to liquidate. One would think (no, hope) that Jim Rutherford's job would also be in question, given the same mediocre results and same excuses from them year after year, no matter the coach or who is on the ice.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

St. Louis to the Rangers for Callahan plus picks.

Wow! That's a big one! You think the Bolts might be getting the better of that, long term?

I think Callahan plus a 1st and 2nd round pick is a lot to pay for a 38 year old, even if he's as good of a player as St. Louis.

Yeah.. you posted "+ picks" and I thought the price was steep, then I saw on NHL.com that it was a 1st and a 2nd. Does the Rangers brass really feel the team is that close to going deep in the playoffs with the line-up they have now in order to barter some of their future like that? Klonk??

Isn't at least one of the picks conditional on TB re-signing Cally?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Isn't at least one of the picks conditional on TB re-signing Cally?
    The first-round pick is in the 2015 NHL Draft and the conditional second-round selection is in 2014. The second-round pick becomes a first-rounder if the Rangers reach the Eastern Conference Final this season. Also, if Callahan signs a new contract with the Lightning, the Rangers would receive Tampa Bay's second-round pick in 2015 in exchange for New York's seventh-round choice in 2015.

I HATE giving up a 1st rounder. FUCKING hate it! And I hate to lose Cally though I do think at his age and the rugged style he plays has begun to put him on the decline. Not to mention the $$ he wanted was just way too much. Great Capt. who put in some damn fine years with this team. Best of luck to him! I also hate the fact that St. Louis is 38 and small. HOWEVER...he has proven to be gritty as hell for his size and can still score with the best of 'em and the Rangers need goals.

Looking at the details of the trade, I can't say it's too bad. I just hate losing a #1...Sather seems to enjoy doing this.
    Last edited by Klonk; 03-05-2014 at 01:17 PM.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Still a couple hours left. More to come...

Finally, FINALLY Hemsky is gone. Holy freakin' God I thought it would never happen.

I was nervous about Hemsky rumors...didn't want him here. Just saw the Human Injury (Gaborik) is going to LA.

Gaborik to LA

You just beat me to it!