Page 360 of 405 FirstFirst ... 260310350356357358359360361362363364370 ... LastLast
Results 8,976 to 9,000 of 10105

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

In all fairness, hockey seen in person is vastly better than hockey seen on TV, and it doesn't matter who's broadcasting it. The networks have always been behind the 8 ball.
    I've never been to a championship boxing match, but I've been at contests of the 4 major North American sports, and there's nothing like NHL Hockey. But it doesn't translate well to television.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oilersfan View Post
    I guess I don't know what you mean by 'off of the TV'. The national ESPN broadcasts are on TV...ESPN, or ESPN2, or perhaps TNT. The broadcasts that are on ESPN+ wouldn't be on national TV anyway, meaning that the only way you could watch them under the old agreement was via Center Ice, which is/was shitty in it's own way. Every game is still 'on TV' in the same way that it has been for years.

The tradeoff with ESPN and other sports is a double-edged sword, of course. The NBCSN deal sucked because NBCSN wasn't a real sports network, as evidenced but the dissolution of the network itself after not securing a continuation of the NHL deal. Sure, they prioritized the NHL, but they were terrible at it, and it showed, which is why they aren't around anymore. Let's face it...in terms of TV coverage, in the US the NHL will always be at best the 4th priority for ESPN. Would you rather have the NHL covered by the likes of NBCSN, whose other major annual sporting event was cycling? I think, at best, we would be splitting hairs in terms of the potential comparison.

Of course, the center of much of this discussion is my consistent claim over the past 30 years that nationwide American cable networks are terrible at covering the NHL. They always 'dumb down' the sport for a nationwide audience, resulting in coverage that is just fucking intolerable in many cases for anyone with even the most remote interest in the game. As cool as I think the events are, the broadcasts of the outdoor games are the worst, treated like a novice's intro to the game rather than an actual major sporting event. Dear sweet Yoda I hope ESPN is better at broadcasting those events. The regional/local networks have always been better at broadcasting the NHL than the national networks are...and yet the national networks completely miss the boat in terms of learning from what the regional/local networks do, pandering to what they *think* is the hockey IQ of the American audience. With the exception of the playoffs, where there isn't much choice, I've avoided this type of coverage for years specifically for this reason. I mean, no matter how good Katherine Tappen was/is to look at, it wasn't enough to overcome the pure shittiness of the NBC/NBCSN broadcasts, and that has carried over to ESPN rather seamlessly. To me, the national broadcasts have been essentially the same since the transition.
    Meaning EPSN + only. As I said, its an old man problem, but I like my tv on the tv. I never had this problem with getting local games when it was being covered by NBC.

And I'm confused by the second paragraph. It seems like you are agreeing with me that it was better on NBC as they could focus more on hockey, but then are also saying its somehow better on a 'real' sports network where it has to compete with 20 things deemed more important than hockey? I mean, yes...I would like hockey to be at or near the top of the pecking order for the network that is broadcasting it, whatever network that is for whatever reason it is.

As for the content, I just watch the games (usually with sounds off), never watch pre or post game nor any of the other shows that might be connected with it, so I have no problem with how NBC covered games (except in the playoffs where if a game went into overtime they wouldn't show the next game that was starting on any of their other networks, which were showing Law & Order SVU or some other such bullshit. But at least they didn't cut off overtime...). That said, I agree with you that regional coverage is the best, and I'm happy to get that...when its apparently allowed by the powers that be.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    In all fairness, hockey seen in person is vastly better than hockey seen on TV, and it doesn't matter who's broadcasting it. The networks have always been behind the 8 ball.
    I've never been to a championship boxing match, but I've been at contests of the 4 major North American sports, and there's nothing like NHL Hockey. But it doesn't translate well to television.
    I would agree with that. I have not been to an NHL game in quite a few years, but we usually hit a few of our local ECHL Kalamazoo Wings games and also our local WMU college games (currently ranked #4 in the country!), and I agree that hockey live is a whole different beast.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Tomorrow's B's/Habs game postponed.

I agree hockey is a sport best watched live. I have actually turned several casual fan friends into big fans taking them to games when I had season tickets. However, I think if you understand the game and how its gears turn, it's still a great sport to watch on TV. My huge biased opinion of course
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I agree hockey is a sport best watched live. I have actually turned several casual fan friends into big fans taking them to games when I had season tickets. However, I think if you understand the game and how its gears turn, it's still a great sport to watch on TV. My huge biased opinion of course
    I can't really understand or relate to the need for it to be 'dumbed down', since out of the 4 major sports it seems to have the least amount of obscure, hard-to-grasp rules. I think the worst feature of the game in terms of the TV experience over the years has been the size of the puck making it hard to see, but nowadays almost everybody's watching on a big HD screen. One advantage of watching on TV is you're not missing out on a lot of the action on your side of the rink like you get when you're in the building and the boards are obscuring the ice surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I can't really understand or relate to the need for it to be 'dumbed down', since out of the 4 major sports it seems to have the least amount of obscure, hard-to-grasp rules. I think the worst feature of the game in terms of the TV experience over the years has been the size of the puck making it hard to see, but nowadays almost everybody's watching on a big HD screen. One advantage of watching on TV is you're not missing out on a lot of the action on your side of the rink like you get when you're in the building and the boards are obscuring the ice surface.
    Yeah I'm with ya. Regarding the puck though, kinda what I was referring to with understanding the game, you don't really need to see the puck because you know where it is based on play development. But yeah, that is probably the biggest complaint I've heard from casual fans.

I actually sort of liked the FoxTrax puck thing a little.

I think it could have been toned down a little, though.

At least they didn't superimpose a CGI jackrabbit over the puck, but I wasn't a fan.

At least they didn't superimpose a CGI jackrabbit over the puck, but I wasn't a fan.
    What really drives me nuts is how almost all televised sports seem to find it necessary to make booming, whooshing and/or clanging noises to accompany on-screen graphics or replays.

I was never a fan of FoxTrax. Then again, I'm a geezer and started following the game in the 70's on a 23" TV. It takes a bit of practice to follow the puck, but after a while, it wasn't a problem.
    Last edited by Tangram; 12-17-2021 at 08:34 PM.

Covid is wreaking havoc on the NHL again. Avs, Flames, Panthers all halt games. BOS vs MTL game is also cancelled. Buckle up, this round could be really bad.

EDIT:

All games with travel over the border are cancelled until after Christmas at the earliest

EDIT THE EDIT:

All games shut down before Christmas Break

EDIT x 3:

NHL players out of the Olympics
    Last edited by Tangram; 12-21-2021 at 08:03 PM.

The IIHF World Juniors, which started on Dec. 26 and were supposed to run until January 5th, have been cancelled due to Covid concerns. At the time of this afternoon's decision, three games had been cancelled and forteited due to players testing positive on three different teams. Organizers are currently trying to figure out how to get all the players back to their home countries safely.

Earlier today the Gov't of Ontario announced reduced capacity for all sports and theatre venues to the lessor of 50% or 1,000 people. As a result, Maple Leafs home games will be without fans in the stands for at least the next three weeks. (This also applies to the Toronto Raptors as they have the same ownership as the Leafs). I'm not sure what the Ottawa Senators are doing, but I would expect the same.

At this point in time, we only have three scheduled home games in the next three weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    Earlier today the Gov't of Ontario announced reduced capacity for all sports and theatre venues to the lessor of 50% or 1,000 people. As a result, Maple Leafs home games will be without fans in the stands for at least the next three weeks. (This also applies to the Toronto Raptors as they have the same ownership as the Leafs). I'm not sure what the Ottawa Senators are doing, but I would expect the same.

At this point in time, we only have three scheduled home games in the next three weeks.
    Isles next 4 games are cancelled and don't play again until the Jan 13th. It's only a matter of time before they shorten the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Isles next 4 games are cancelled and don't play again until the Jan 13th. It's only a matter of time before they shorten the season.
    If teams can stay healthy, they have three weeks in February to make things up since the NHL players can't play in the Olympics. I think that's a pretty big IF, however.

The eons are closing
    Totally stoked for Isles' "season opener" tonight! [emoji1]

Isles have 11% of the season 'in hand' vs Cr@pitals and blueshirts!

lol

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

With last night's loss the Habs finally 'surpassed' the Coyotes to reach last place. In addition to ranking 32nd in the overall standings, the Habs are also currently 32nd in goals per game, 32nd in power play, 29th in goals against per game, 28th in penalty killing, and their current 0.257 'points percentage' is the NHL's lowest in the salary cap era.

Talk about your dumpster fires.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad 2 the Bone View Post
    With last night's loss the Habs finally 'surpassed' the Coyotes to reach last place. In addition to ranking 32nd in the overall standings, the Habs are also currently 32nd in goals per game, 32nd in power play, 29th in goals against per game, 28th in penalty killing, and their current 0.257 'points percentage' is the NHL's lowest in the salary cap era.

Talk about your dumpster fires.
    And yet they went to the finals last year. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Totally stoked for Isles' "season opener" tonight! [emoji1]

Isles have 11% of the season 'in hand' vs Cr@pitals and blueshirts!

lol

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    The whole Isles season has been a few games followed by long brakes. Much of that with having to go on the road for 13 games to start the season. Should have opened in the Coliseum and had a normal schedule. Then 2 postponements of 4 games due to covid have really condensed their remaining games. Anyway, great to see them back on the ice beating the Devils is an added bonus. Their playoffs start now.

Doing some ECHL Hockey tonight with The Kalamazoo Wings vs Toledo Waleye. Kalamazoo is a farm club for Columbus and Toledo for Detroit. Although I have been to some WMU hockey games (currently #3 in the country), this is my first K-Wings game of the year.

The Flyers have played 40 games and have two different 10-game losing streaks.

Yay!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    The Flyers have played 40 games and have two different 10-game losing streaks.

Yay!
    The Oilers have played 15 games since December 1st and have separate 6-game and 7-game losing streaks in that time.

...and apparently Leon Draisaitl has been "pissy"