Page 31 of 404 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334354181131 ... LastLast

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

So can the Florida teams just be moved already?

image.jpgimage.jpg
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Interesting article from Puck Daddy slamming Randy Carlyle if anyone is interested.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl...4372--nhl.html

The eons are closing
    Regardless, the Maple Leafs currently own the tiebreaks on every team from sixth through 11th place (most regulation + OT wins excluding Shootouts)
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

The things that I really don't like about this realignment are that (1) a 3 seed in a weak division could potentially hide from facing a 1 seed. In fact, a 4 seed could very well end up with a higher point total than a 3 and end up with a tougher match up than the 4. For that, matter, the 1 seed gets hurt in that particular scenario too. Sorry, but that's fucked up. (2) Expansion and relocation east of the Mississippi is damn unlikely now. Try moving a team (or expanding) to southern Ontario or Quebec City now, save for relocating a team like Florida, for example, that's already located in that particular conference.

Also, you know they're going to fuck up the division names. I mean, we've got a wannabe NBA exec as a commish. We'll be lucky if the division names aren't 'Alcindor', 'West' (as in Jerry...and that would be the one for the NE area), 'Jordan', and 'Bird'...

Quote Originally Posted by oilersfan View Post
    The things that I really don't like about this realignment are that (1) a 3 seed in a weak division could potentially hide from facing a 1 seed. In fact, a 4 seed could very well end up with a higher point total than a 3 and end up with a tougher match up than the 4. For that, matter, the 1 seed gets hurt in that particular scenario too. Sorry, but that's fucked up.
    Totally agree. I freakin' hate that. NO WAY should a team with a lesser record have a higher seed/more home games than a team with a better record.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    So can the Florida teams just be moved already?

image.jpgimage.jpg
    No. I certainly hope not. I'm not moving back to a place where there's ice laying around on the ground for a good part of the year

- thank-you-very- much.

^

Pens / stRangers on NHL network at 1

Going to rock it in a Blue Pens throwback

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Ozzy is a Blues fan too

tumblr_m3fgqgMsvC1r0toreo1_500.jpg

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    Ozzy is a Blues fan too

BG
    At least he was 30 years ago!

How about that Joffrey Lupul, eh? First game back from a 6-week injury and he scores in the first 30 seconds.
    Last edited by ForeverAutumn; 03-16-2013 at 08:55 PM.

Love Lupul. I was really upset when the Flyers got rid of him.

And man, could they use him now.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Love Lupul. I was really upset when the Flyers got rid of him.

And man, could they use him now.
    He just scored his 2nd goal. Come on hat trick!!

There was an interesting call in one of in Saturday's Lacrosse games (I watched four games on-line and can't remember which game now). I mention it here because I've never seen this happen before in any sport.

One of the players took posession of the ball and made a break-away towards an empty net. One of the opposing players tackled him from behind and brought him down just in front of the net. He tried to fire the ball but missed the net as he was mid-tackle. The Refs awarded him a goal even though the ball missed the net. Had the goalie been in the net, a penalty shot would be awarded in this situation, but since it was an empty net the refs just awarded the goal instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    Ozzy is a Blues fan too

BG

Mmmhhh!!!... not sure about this...
    NHL hockey team shirts were a bit of a fad (Bruf with Bruins, Collins with Habs)... maybe they simply bought a shirt in the city they were passing through, just to be proselytic...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

The eons are closing
    Similar to the NHL

Under normal circumstances, a penalty shot is awarded to the player who lost the opportunity to score due to the penalty. Said player is given a one-on-one opportunity against the offending team's goaltender to score a goal. However, if the goaltender has been pulled, the would-be scorer would be taking the penalty shot unopposed. Because of the virtual certainty of a goal being scored in such a situation, most ice hockey rule books do not require the token shot to be taken and automatically award the goal.
    NHL Rule 25

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    There was an interesting call in one of in Saturday's Lacrosse games (I watched four games on-line and can't remember which game now). I mention it here because I've never seen this happen before in any sport.

One of the players took posession of the ball and made a break-away towards an empty net. One of the opposing players tackled him from behind and brought him down just in front of the net. He tried to fire the ball but missed the net as he was mid-tackle. The Refs awarded him a goal even though the ball missed the net. Had the goalie been in the net, a penalty shot would be awarded in this situation, but since it was an empty net the refs just awarded the goal instead.

Some random thoughts:

What is going on with the Rangers? I thought with Nash returning, these guys were going to reestablish themselves as one of the best team in the conference. Instead, they are losing regularly. Is it the Torts effect where after a while, you just tune out the asshole?

I have to say I am very impressed with Lars Eller of the Canadiens. When I saw him play last year, he seemed to be way out of his league. The past week or so, he was really established himself as a solid NHL'er. It looks like the Canadiens aren't going anywhere (down the standings) anytime soon. The same cannot be said for ...

The Leafs - are they starting their annual descent? The have had good starts in the past and come January, usually have run out of gas and go into a monumental tailspin. In the compressed season, are they in the midst of their fall now?

Last week, Ottawa picked up enforcer Matt Kassian from the Wild for a 6'th round pick. So far, he hasn't done much to prove his worth. He was responsible for a couple of goals over the weekend due to poor positioning in the defensive zone and I can't think of many stellar hits. I would guess he's only getting around 5 minutes of ice time per game, so I have to wonder why Bryan Murray bothered to pick him up. He won't even dress for the playoffs unless there is another instance like when Brian Boyle facewashed Erik Karlsson in their first round series last year. I guess the Sens just need a "nuclear deterrent" because they've been getting the snot beat out of them lately by some of the more truculent teams in the East.

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    Is it the Torts effect where after a while, you just tune out the asshole?
    Perfect timing as far as I am concerned!

Some random thoughts:

Now, if I said this, Klonk would be all over me.

That's because I'm mostly harmless.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Now, if I said this, Klonk would be all over me.
    Only because you're a pain in the ass.

I really have no defense for the team right now. Losing a big part of the core in Anisimov, Prust and Dubi has proven to be costly with Torts system. Those guys fit the mold well. New guys? Not so much. They are playing very soft and just can't get any offense going...dump-chase-cycle-lose puck along boards-repeat. Richards and Gaborik have been completely useless all season long, PP is useless, 3rd and 4th lines are pretty much non existant when it comes to chipping in any points and with the exception of Nash, Stepan and Hagelin, there has been no production. I like Torts, but this system is becoming tiresome and there comes a time when you have to start putting the blame on coaching.

To our defense, losing Staal was a major blow because he was playing his best hockey as a Ranger. Our bottom 2 D pair is really, really bad.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Only because you're a pain in the ass.
    I'm glad to know that we're close enough that you can be honest.

The eons are closing
    Puck Daddy seems to think so

I pretty much just said everything in that Puck Daddy post there, Thomas. You just wanted everyone to see, "Looking at the Islanders taillights." ...admit it!

Bastard.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

The eons are closing
    Yes....I will admit that!
    Might be the last time this season though!