Page 150 of 401 FirstFirst ... 50100140146147148149150151152153154160200250 ... LastLast
Results 3,726 to 3,750 of 10104

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    You gotta get SOME entertainment to justify the outrageous ticket prices in Toronto! The team isn't going to supply it!

I think Toronto fans need to start boycotting Leaf games en masse. Make it embarrassing to have a half-filled arena in what is considered to be hockey's largest market.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I think Toronto fans need to start boycotting Leaf games en masse. Make it embarrassing to have a half-filled arena in what is considered to be hockey's largest market.
    It's crazy isn't it? When the Blue Jays were hot in the late 80's and winning World Series' in the early 90's, they sold out 50,000 seats every game. The police had to shut down roads after the games to manage the exiting crowds. Then when they started sucking in the late 90's (and ever since) people stopped going. They went from selling 50,000 to being lucky to sell 15,000. They probably sell about 20,000 a game now...I'm guessing.

The Toronto Rock (lacrosse) have won 6 championships since 1999 and have only missed the playoffs twice. Tickets are cheap. You can buy a game ticket for under $20 and a season pass (9 games) for $119. But they can't sell out 20,000 seats. They average about 13,000.

The Leafs suck. Haven't made the playoffs in almost a decade (Not counting the lockout season because I'm pretty sure that if was a full season they wouldn't have made it). Ticket prices are outrageous. And every game is sold out with people still looking to buy from scalpers. If I didn't already have tickets for a game in February, I wouldn't be dishing out money to see them now.

I'm sure it's not just Toronto. In general I think that sports fans are mentally unstable.

Baseball is a tough sell because there are so many games. It died here because there were only about 10,000 die-hard ball fans. They played in the shitty Olympic Stadium, which did not help things. Aside from that Montreal supports its teams. The Alouettes sell out almost every game, the Impact (MSL) also draw well, and the Habs are virtual sellout season after season. However, Montreal fans are very demanding. A few years back the Habs were the worse team in the East and 2nd worse overall. Attendance started to drop and people booed the team mercilessly. The entire team was overhauled from the GM down. Now, we have a top 10 hockey team that can make the playoffs and do some damage.

Why does this never occur in Toronto? One of the main reasons is that Toronto is not a really passionate city. It's a money city. They pay lip service to "passion" but that's about it. I was at Game 7 in 2012, outside the ACC. Aside from the people up really close to the giant screen, most of the people were there only because it was a happening. They were more concerned with taking selfies of themselves at the happening than paying attention to the reason for the happening. That's Toronto. Had this occurred here, all eyes would have been on the game. In the 50s, they suspended the Rocket during the playoffs and it resulted in a bomb scare at the Forum. That's Montreal. This difference is what makes Montreal a perennial contender and Toronto an eternal pretender. Leaf fans have to finally lay down the gauntlet and hit the organization where it hurts: the bottom line. But Corporate Toronto will keep shelling out for luxury boxes and the average fann will keep paying the highest face value ticket price in the league to keep Toronto Maple Leafs Inc in the black every year, regardless of the product.

Rant over.

Baseball is a tough sell because there are so many games. It died here because there were only about 10,000 die-hard ball fans. They played in the shitty Olympic Stadium, which did not help things. Aside from that Montreal supports its teams. The Alouettes sell out almost every game, the Impact (MSL) also draw well, and the Habs are virtual sellout season after season. However, Montreal fans are very demanding. A few years back the Habs were the worse team in the East and 2nd worse overall. Attendance started to drop and people booed the team mercilessly. The entire team was overhauled from the GM down. Now, we have a top 10 hockey team that can make the playoffs and do some damage.

Why does this never occur in Toronto? One of the main reasons is that Toronto is not a really passionate city. It's a money city. They pay lip service to "passion" but that's about it. I was at Game 7 in 2012, outside the ACC. Aside from the people up really close to the giant screen, most of the people were there only because it was a happening. They were more concerned with taking selfies of themselves at the happening than paying attention to the reason for the happening. That's Toronto. Had this occurred here, all eyes would have been on the game. In the 50s, they suspended the Rocket during the playoffs and it resulted in a bomb scare at the Forum. That's Montreal. This difference is what makes Montreal a perennial contender and Toronto an eternal pretender. Leaf fans have to finally lay down the gauntlet and hit the organization where it hurts: the bottom line. But Corporate Toronto will keep shelling out for luxury boxes and the average fann will keep paying the highest face value ticket price in the league to keep Toronto Maple Leafs Inc in the black every year, regardless of the product.

Rant over.
    Yves, I can't disagree with very much of that except that the average fan can't afford a Leafs ticket. And even if they can, good luck finding a ticket since most of the best seats are corporately owned. If you want to watch a game with average Leafs fans, you'll find them at just about any sports bar.

On the other hand, you don't see Torontonians making bomb threats or burning police cars. I can live with that.

Rant over.
    I could be wrong on this, but don't you think that Detroit draws away some of the sports market from Toronto. The Red Wings and Tigers especially have traditionally drawn a lot of folks from across the river, and it is only a couple hours drive from Toronto.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I could be wrong on this, but don't you think that Detroit draws away some of the sports market from Toronto. The Red Wings and Tigers especially have traditionally drawn a lot of folks from across the river, and it is only a couple hours drive from Toronto.
    Detroit is a 4.5 - 5 hour drive from Toronto. Buffalo is a 1.5 hour drive.

I know a lot of people who will drive to Buffalo to catch a hockey or football game (usually the opposing team is the attraction, not the home team... and the cheap alcohol ). You can drive to Buffalo, catch a game, and still be home and sleeping in your own bed at a decent hour.

I don't know anyone who goes to Detroit on a regular basis. It's too far.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    Detroit is a 4.5 - 5 hour drive from Toronto. Buffalo is a 1.5 hour drive.

I know a lot of people who will drive to Buffalo to catch a hockey or football game (usually the opposing team is the attraction, not the home team... and the cheap alcohol ). You can drive to Buffalo, catch a game, and still be home and sleeping in your own bed at a decent hour.

I don't know anyone who goes to Detroit on a regular basis. It's too far.
    Yea, I guess you are right. I was thinking Toronto was closer than that. Detroit does draw a lot of fans from southwest Ontario though. I would think it might still be the same general market as Toronto would draw from a Canadian province perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Yea, I guess you are right. I was thinking Toronto was closer than that. Detroit does draw a lot of fans from southwest Ontario though. I would think it might still be the same general market as Toronto would draw from a Canadian province perspective.
    If you look at it that way then I'm sure that you're right. There is quite a large population between Toronto and Detroit. As you get futher south I'm sure that there are lots of fans heading to Detroit over Toronto. So from that perspective Detroit probably is drawing fans away from the Toronto sports market. To be honest, I've really never thought about it.

In other news, the Leafs just lost to the Devils. That makes it only 3 wins in 18 games. Thanks god it's Lacrosse season!

And Yves, it's my understanding that corporations hold a lot of seasons tickets in the Bell Centre too. Maybe not quite to the same extent as in Toronto. I remember being able to buy standing room tickets for any game(?) at the Forum at the bus terminal in Ottawa along with bus tickets to and from the game. And it wasn't very expensive.

This is not the case in Ottawa where the federal government is by far the largest employer in town and the government does not buy seasons tickets and more crippling to the hockey team, the government does not accept free tickets from it's vendors (i.e., no wining and dining which might prejudice spending decisions). Ottawa usually runs a baseline of 11,000 - 13,000 seasons tickets, and the rest are "walk-ups" including rabid Leafs fans driving up from Southern Ontario to see their team at a more reasonable cost.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

You know, every now and then I get invited to a corporate box for a Leafs game by one of our suppliers (I changed jobs within the company last year so it doesn't happen as often as it used to). I refuse to go to a sporting event in a business suit. I'm often the only one or one of the few people who show up to the box in a Jersey. I'll concede to the business atmosphere by wearing dress pants instead of jeans, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna show up at a game without my jersey.

Unless you're part of the coaching staff, a sporting event is no place for a suit.

I can see how the Gov't thing would affect ticket sales in Ottawa. My husband works for the Ontario Gov't and he's not even allowed to go out for lunch with a supplier and let them pay for lunch . It's very strict.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    I'm often the only one or one of the few people who show up to the box in a Jersey. I'll concede to the business atmosphere by wearing dress pants instead of jeans, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna show up at a game without my jersey.
    Love it!

The % of fans at Caps games in jerseys is off the charts, easily better than 50% - I'd commented last game I attended to my friend that it's the greatest I've seen

Here is my latest one

NYY.jpgNYY1.jpg

I never thought I'd wear a Rangers jersey, but the logo patch was red / blue so I wanted a red / white / blue jersey to build around

The font style is iconic, and I've seen them 13 times at MSG so probably fitting

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Congats to Jim and Mindy; our 2 lucky fans chosen to play goal.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Maybe they should skip picking goalies for the game and just use the targets from the skills competition.

And stop firing that damn cannon!
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.

I didn't bother watching either the skills competition (actually, I forgot about it but typically enjoy it) and the game itself. Waste of my time--though I'm sure Bettman would love seeing EVERY game played in a way that results in 29 goals.

First hockey game I've ever seen where the score is higher than a lacrosse game. Actually, I didn't really watch it. It was on in the living room while I was doing stuff in the kitchen so I could hear the damn cannon go off every two minutes!

I didn't watch any either. Looking forward to watching a Habs game though!

^^^Life Lesson - never punch a turtle on his shell

Despite the slight whitening of roadways, tonight's Rangers @ Islanders game is ON. Yay!

Edit- They should've postponed this one............ppppppppffffffffffffffffftttttttttt tttttttt.
    Last edited by Obscured; 01-27-2015 at 09:23 PM.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

The eons are closing
    Okposo out 6-8 weeks with upper body injury....doh!
    Puck Daddy at yahoo just picked isles to win East....double doh!

And the ASG was a disgrace to hockey.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Round of applause for Marty Brodeur as he calls it a day. http://www.aol.com/article/2015/01/2...fice/21135722/
    Truly, one of the greats.

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Round of applause for Marty Brodeur as he calls it a day. http://www.aol.com/article/2015/01/2...fice/21135722/
    Truly, one of the greats.
    I hated those trapping Devils teams with a fiery passion - especially Scott Stevens - but always respected Brodeur. He was fantastic.

Got to witness in-person the Flyers' second consecutive shoot-out win last night. Yes, you read the correctly - not only two shoot-out wins this season, but two back-to-back!

The Flyers' public address announcer is a customer of my girlfriend's, so we visited him before the game and he allowed us to watch warm-ups from the penalty box - a very cool thrill.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Brodeur owns a few records for the ages. Congrats on a long and fruitful career!

Habs managed to steal another 2 points last night. However, this "we'll let the other team take twice as many shots as we do and hope Price steals the game for us" approach is going to get them in a lot of trouble.

Bring on the Rangers!

Klonk! It's your favorite diving team tonight!

you'll never be as bad as Pitt though! Hopin for some fast back n forth hockey tonight. Hopefully get away from the clogged neutral zones of late!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    you'll never be as bad as Pitt though!
    NO ONE is as bad as Pitt.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally