Page 122 of 401 FirstFirst ... 2272112118119120121122123124125126132172222 ... LastLast
Results 3,026 to 3,050 of 10104

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Congrats to both teams, if you ask me. I expected Montreal to fold when Price went out and expected nothing from Tokarski. Kid showed he's got it and can play at this level as it's nowhere near his fault they lost the series.

Question:They say in the NFL if you have two quarterbacks, then you have none. Can the same be said about goalies? Seems it could get mighty interesting when Price shows he's mortal and has a bad stretch. Will Habs fans clamor for Tokarski and if they put him in will it piss off Price or mess with his confidence like they always claim? Will he demand to be traded like Roy?

Habs were gritty right to the end but were clearly gassed yesterday. Rangers were first to the puck almost all night. Tokarski kept them in it, but it just wasn't there...

Not sure what the Habs will do about Tokarski. Will they make him their 'official' number 2 or will they trade him away because he might be a distraction to Price, as you mention. He might fetch a decent player in return...

Congrats to the Rangers! Best rest up because that next round is gonna be a doozy! I'm thinking LA ends it tonight.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Yeah that was pretty good for a non-seven game series. I didn't think either of those teams would be there. It was good that the Habs gave the home fans one to remember in game 5.

In the end, congrats to the Rangers and their faithful. Must be nice to have your team standing at this time of year!
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

I was at the game last night at MSG and I have to say it was unquestionably the best live hockey game experience I've ever had. The crowd was loud, to be sure, but there was plenty of nervousness and anxienty in every Rangers fan who has been through it all with this team. Sure, there was a confidence when we took the lead and dominated play in the third period (probably the best period of play I've ever seen the Rangers play, and I've been a fan since the days of Brad Park and Eddie Giacomin), but it still was a one-goal game that could be tied at any time. It wasn't until the final seconds ticked off that I could truly exhale and get my heart rate back to normal.

I'm proud of this team -- probably prouder than I have ever been. I could say that it doesn't matter if they win the Cup, that they exceeded expectation 100-fold, but I still want to attend the parade down the Canyon of Heroes again! WE WANT THE CUP! LGR!

20140529_224842.jpg
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

I think it's funny that teams won't touch the cup after winning the conference championship because they think it's bad luck. Approximately 50% of the teams who don't touch the conference cup lose the Stanley Cup.

^ totally true, but the whole superstition stems from the understanding that the conference title is nothing if you lose in the finals. Of the four major team sports leagues, only MLB teams make a big whoop-dee-doo out of the league pennants.
    It's a spoonerism

What a great game last night. Kane is playing in 7th gear at the right time. Pressure is all on LA now. Has there ever been a team to win the Cup that had to win each series in 7 games? This really is the hardest earned trophy in all of sports.

Keep beating the snot out of each other!!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

the Stanley Cup Finals will be played in the number 1 market and either the number 2 or 3 market, and that's very good for the league
    It's a spoonerism

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smeenus View Post
    the Stanley Cup Finals will be played in the number 1 market and either the number 2 or 3 market, and that's very good for the league
    As far as population density goes, not as far as popularity of hockey goes...

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    TV revenue for NBC and the league. That's why it's good for the sport. With all the respect in the world to the great Canadiens fans...
    It's a spoonerism

Local ratings for game 5 (percentage of tv's on that were watching the game):
    -Chicago produced a 16 market share. LA ratings were 3.

Granted the start time comes into play. For LA fans, it must be hard to watch a game when the games starts at 5 PM local time.

http://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/n...dustry+Sports)

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Local ratings for game 5 (percentage of tv's on that were watching the game):
    -Chicago produced a 16 market share. LA ratings were 3.

Granted the start time comes into play. For LA fans, it must be hard to watch a game when the games starts at 5 PM local time.

http://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/n...dustry+Sports)
    That last part is true, that figure would improve dramatically if radio listeners stuck on freeways in the gawdawful LA traffic were included, but I won't pretend that LA is Hockey City USA yet. But a second finals in two years could bring the game into more people's interest there, and that's good for the game.
    Last edited by Paul Smeenus; 06-01-2014 at 01:23 PM.
    It's a spoonerism

Pick your poison Ranger fans! Chicago or Los Angeles? Which team did you fare better against in the regular season?

Pick your poison Ranger fans! Chicago or Los Angeles? Which team did you fare better against in the regular season?
    You know, that's tough. Both teams are awesome and would be likely favorites. Rangers seem to play well the rare times they face either of those teams. If I was forced to choose who to play, I think I'd go with Chicago for the sole reason that Quick is the better goalie. Not a knock on Crawford because he's excellent too! He can give up some weak ones here and there though.

Not a Ranger fan (not a Ranger-hater either), but seeing the classic New York vs. LA, head-to-head sports rivalry played out on ice would be nice. Also it would be a great story to see Gaborik against the Rangers.

I think LA may have dug themselves into a hole that they can't dig out of, though. I'll be surprised if the Hawks let it slip away, at home, in game seven, after being down 3-1. But then again, LA has made a habit out of rising from the ashes. So we'll see. It ought to be good either way.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Sucks that game 7 is a Sunday night and NOT on over-the-air NBC. Go HAWKS!
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Sucks that game 7 is a Sunday night and NOT on over-the-air NBC.
    Agreed. I refuse to pay for cable so I'll be listening to the game on my phone with the Tune-In app.
    It's a spoonerism

I usually skip the heartstring stories on ESPN, you know the type, with Chris Connelly(isn't that his name?) using "that voice" to pull on your emotions, all about little Timmy and the Make A Wish foundation crap. But, I actually did watch the recent story on Dominic Moore. It was really sad. Watching the home videos was heartbreaking, seeing his wife waste away like that.

It gives that goal a little more meaning. I won't be rooting for the Rangers but I won't be unhappy if Moore gets to raise the Cup.

^ I thought it was Jeremy Schaap that did those at the four letter network

*edit to add

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    all about little Timmy
    It's a spoonerism

The eons are closing
    Go western conference! LOL
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

The Kings win three game sevens...all on the road...to reach the finals. Unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by oilersfan View Post
    The Kings win three game sevens...all on the road...to reach the finals. Unbelievable.
    And in the process win 7 elimination games
    It's a spoonerism

Quote Originally Posted by oilersfan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smeenus View Post
    And in the process win 7 elimination games
    Third Game Seven victory on the road these playoffs, the first time any team has ever done that in NHL history.
    The Kings are the first team ever to advance to the Stanley Cup Finals after playing three consecutive seven-game series whether at home or on the road.

LET'S GO RANGERS!
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

You may be right, I do believe it was Schaap.

Bloody hell. I'm recording the game and watching baseball from Los Angeles. They ruined the hockey game, dammit. A few people raised a little ruckus and they announced the result. Great, I was looking forward to watching this.
    Last edited by TheLoony; 06-02-2014 at 12:30 AM.

Last time these 2 teams met in the playoffs was '81 and this happened...

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Last time these 2 teams met in the playoffs was '81 and this happened...
    Thanks for the link. I remember watching that game. Good to hear the team of Jim Gordon and "The Big Whistle" Bill Chadwick.

I miss bench-clearing brawls. Favorite parts of this brawl: Don Maloney jumping on Jerry Korab when he helped double-team a Ranger; Ed Hospodar punching the goalie, and Fotiu fighting the Kings in the stands.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap