Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Max Webster Movie

The Max Webster Movie

Look what surfaced on Youtube last month! Electrifying.

Wow, pretty nice

Gold.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Excellent stuff.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I only know of Max Webster because of their slight intermingling with Rush. Are they prog?

Jon Neudorf
    Kinda sorta.

Jon

They are better!!!

I'll view that tonight with a doobie between my lips
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quality sucks.

Love MW tho.

DtB

that brought back a ton of memories

thanks
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    "We're just musicians here to thin the thickness of your skin."
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I only know of Max Webster because of their slight intermingling with Rush. Are they prog?
    They are the defining prog band. If you hear any musical artist sans likeness to MW, then they're not prog. Genesis, for instance, with that fairy sissy approach, aren't prog at all. From now on. In fact, rumour has it no one will discuss stuph like the 'sissies, hELP, Yaz or Ding Rimjobson ever again in here.

Thx for posting this. MW were a damn fun and fine band, and I've been listening to them quite a bit in recent times.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I've always loved the Kee To Bala concert .... amazing ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QotH-UTKutw
    Coming September 1st - "Dean Watson Revisited"!

Quote Originally Posted by Bytor View Post
    They are better!!!
    Not possible.

Very cool, thanks for digging it up!

Anyone have some MW they could let me hear? I've got some Kim stuff but no Max.

^

I started with A Million Vacations, which has both some of their quirkiest yet most melodic tracks. Mutiny Up My Sleeve is very good as well.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I am extremely biased, but Max Webster is the most underrated band to come out of Canada. Their first 3 recordings are as unique as can be and still get radio play. I miss them and wish Kim would tour playing just Max music.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^

I started with A Million Vacations, which has both some of their quirkiest yet most melodic tracks. Mutiny Up My Sleeve is very good as well.
    I'd say that AMV is not the most representative Webster album, because it's the softer and mixed/produced fairly differently to the first three (but it's still vcery good)

As a first rec or visitation, I'd try the debut (also called Squareheads), Borrowed Shoes or Mutiny ... Finish with Juveniles, IMHO

Kim did tour doing Max stuff a couple of years ago, it must be difficult though, after so, so many solo albums - already with so much history - since then.
    Coming September 1st - "Dean Watson Revisited"!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    when they were still doing the highschool circuit they played songs like aqualung and peaches en regalia. Thats what ive heard anyway

Where's my time machine? I want to go back. SO many memories

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Yes, great memories!

Got this on VHS in the 90's. Horrendous quality but it was Max Webster, the best band ever so I was happy.

Max Webster, to really get it you usually need to be either Canadian or European.

Max Webster fans might want to know that there is a book about the band. Seriously. Martin Popoff has written a bunch of music books, mostly about heavy metal but also wandering into Southern rock and occasionally into prog territory. He's written volumes on fairly obscure metal bands, but also collaborated on books about Rush. Anyway, some might find his technique unsatisfying, but what he usually does (and does in his book on Max Webster) is to compile tons of interviews gathered over a bunch of years, add some book-specific interviews, then assemble an oral history of his subject. The downside of this technique is that divergent versions of events don't get too carefully cross examined. The up side is lots of good tales from the "deep history" of his subjects.

Anyway, the book is "Live Magnetic Air: the Unlikely Saga of the Superlative Max Webster". He comes across as kinda fanboy-ish (he's been championing the wonderfulness of Max Webster for decades) but the material is put together pretty professionally. The story stops with the demise of Max Webster and does not cover Kim Mitchell's solo material. Most of his books are available through Amazon, but for some reason (probably related to small print run and a realistic notion of the commercial viability of the project) this one is not. Best bet is to order it from his website if you are interested.