Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: * Black Star Bowie *

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    It's funny where the inspiration for the jerky dancing came from actually. I read an interview with the director and he said Bowie got it from old Popeye cartoons (or cartoons from that era), the way that the characters were animated back then.
    So THAT'S what semi-retired rock stars do with their time.

I'm not sure what it's meaning is, or how much of it is just weirdness for sake of being weird -- or how much it has to do with the song itself.
    That's sort of been Bowie's modus operandi since the beginning, hasn't it?
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Reminded me of Scott Walker as well, thought his more palatable avant-garde stuff, which for me is Climate of Hunter and perhaps Tilt too! :-D

The happy face pin on the dead Major Tom(?) is interesting.

There's already videos by Christians popping up saying that it's a Satanic ritual.

Bowie is back in a big way.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    This is just cool as hell.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post

There's already videos by Christians popping up saying that it's a Satanic ritual.
    Like those evil Teletubbies?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Like those evil Teletubbies?
    No only Tinky Winky[emoji102]
    http://tropdublog.net/wp-content/upl...nky-Winky.jpeg
    Last edited by Firth; 11-25-2015 at 06:59 PM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I agree it's cool that he does what he wants and is still working, but to be honest I didn't much care for the video or the "song."

Here is an article from Rolling Stone magazine about the album:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/fe...0151123?page=3

Would someone tell me what song he did for the movie, Seven? Is that tune on an album by chance? Still, this new song is sublime.
    The older I get, the better I was.

^Think that was 'The Heart's Filthy Lesson' on 1: Outside. In contrast to a very wobbly 80s (after Scary Monsters), his 90s albums have lots of gems.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^Think that was 'The Heart's Filthy Lesson' on 1: Outside. In contrast to a very wobbly 80s (after Scary Monsters), his 90s albums have lots of gems.
    Cool, always liked that little ditty. Thanks.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    Here is an article from Rolling Stone magazine about the album:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/fe...0151123?page=3
    I like how RS proclaims the new album to be "stunning" before anyone's heard a note from it (other than the video).
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Do you guys really like the song, or just the fact that it's so against the norm (for mainstream music today)? Personally, I found that it had hardly any of the "sounds" I like in Bowie's music (and I like most of his albums, although I have to admit I don't know much from his last handful, so I don't really know his post 90s stuff.

But I prefer, for example, Blue Jean to this. It just seems like his voice never really gets going, and the little melody there is isn't very satisfying and doesn't encourage additional plays. Of course, I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    I like how RS proclaims the new album to be "stunning" before anyone's heard a note from it (other than the video).
    What makes you think the Rolling Stone writer hasn't heard the whole album?

This is so satanic. I feel dirty just watching it. How about you?

Of course, first you have to believe in the Devil.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Do you guys really like the song, or just the fact that it's so against the norm (for mainstream music today)? Personally, I found that it had hardly any of the "sounds" I like in Bowie's music (and I like most of his albums, although I have to admit I don't know much from his last handful, so I don't really know his post 90s stuff.

But I prefer, for example, Blue Jean to this. It just seems like his voice never really gets going, and the little melody there is isn't very satisfying and doesn't encourage additional plays. Of course, I could be wrong.
    Personally, I really like the song now. At first it was a bit difficult, but it stuck with me (probably due to its strangeness) and I kept going back to it.

The jazz element is very appealing to me. And that soul portion in the middle is pretty catchy actually. Makes me very interested in hearing the rest of the album.

That said, I still love Bowie's older stuff. Blue Jean is one of my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    What makes you think the Rolling Stone writer hasn't heard the whole album?
    I'm not saying he hasn't. But proclaiming something to be "stunning" that very few people have even heard seems to be a bit premature IMO.

It's curious how some folks have said that the video/song promotes satanism. Personally, I don't think it's as simple as that. I think the lyrics contain imagery that evokes rituals and the like, and the term "blackstar", which could have multiple meanings. There seems to be a "character" in the song, who is selling a message of some kind, but it strikes me as incredibly cynical/sarcastic and perhaps is a commentary on misuse of influence or power for evil ends. The statement from one of the bandmembers that Bowie told him the song was about ISIS (assuming that is accurate) reinforces that thought, for me. But it's cryptic enough to be open to multiple interpretations I think.

Arty and weird is just arty and weird...why do some people have to find a meaning in everything? These people have too much free time, I'm jealous.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

It's curious how some folks have said that the video/song promotes satanism. Personally, I don't think it's as simple as that. I think the lyrics contain imagery that evokes rituals and the like, and the term "blackstar", which could have multiple meanings. There seems to be a "character" in the song, who is selling a message of some kind, but it strikes me as incredibly cynical/sarcastic and perhaps is a commentary on misuse of influence or power for evil ends. The statement from one of the bandmembers that Bowie told him the song was about ISIS (assuming that is accurate) reinforces that thought, for me. But it's cryptic enough to be open to multiple interpretations I think.
    A good thoughtful post. I Agree.
    It is ultimately entertainment, possibly with a message or commentary.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpybunker View Post
    A good thoughtful post. I Agree.
    It is ultimately entertainment, possibly with a message or commentary.
    Clearly Satanic imagery and intent... I had to play a few Sammy Davis Jr. Records after listening to Blackstar just to clear my head.... Then I found out Sammy was a Satanist too!
    Still alive and well...

I loved it and watched it about six times in one day. Art stimulates your thought process. Maybe Bowie doesn't even know what he was trying to say but there is a lot of things going on in the song and the video. Does the meaning come from Bowie, from the Video Director, from the audience? I would say all three. And I certainly enjoy the spectacle. Nothing is cut and dried in true art. If it is, it is probably boring as hell.

Key word.. "Hell"