Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Where to start with Gentle Giant?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Henry Cow is a great band, but get aquainted and confidential with GG first.
    Yepz! GGiant stuck to the effervescent "song-form", meaning that they essentially are the perfect springboard from which to explore even more cryptically advanced progressive musics of the 70s - of which Henry Cow or Magma or perhaps Hatfield and the North or National Health were arguably the most ardent harbingers. But hey, you're only 15 and already on the rightest of tracks, so don't you worry about a single thing; you'll do just fine - and you'll love doing it.

Jeez, one comes across as some smacky pusher now !
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Henry Cow or Magma or perhaps Hatfield and the North or National Health
    Yummy, and may I add quite delicious, too?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Mr Triscuits made me laugh pretty hard with this!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

the "sock," to be clear, RapidRefresh, is the album cover to Henry Cow's album "Legend/Leg End" (Get it?)

It's a pretty heavy duty listen.

Three Friends.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    the "sock," to be clear, RapidRefresh, is the album cover to Henry Cow's album "Legend/Leg End" (Get it?)

I get it now! Thanks for the info. I looked up Henry Cow on Wiki and they look like they were very radical.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post

For the most part, it is very structured, interesting and tunefully catchy avant progressive. IMO. But your name IS 'Wide Open Ears'.....

...and you aren't 15
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Freehand is my fav and IMHO very accessible. Power and the glory, octopus, and three friends all great starters too. I love the S/T disc too. just wouldn't start with Aquiring the taste-the title is self-explanatory.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    For the most part, it is very structured, interesting and tunefully catchy avant progressive. IMO. But your name IS 'Wide Open Ears'.....

...and you aren't 15
    Indeed. I would have loved it at age 15--but probably not, say, Western Culture...now I eat it all up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Quote Originally Posted by mx20 View Post
    I'm listening to Octopus now for the first time in years... There are a few duds (or at least near-misses), but my biggest problems with this LP are the sequencing of the songs (there's no good opening song on here!) and my belief that the live "Excerpts From Octopus" medley represents all the best of this LP in 15 minutes time, and sounds more exciting to these ears. Octopus is a very dry listening experience. I blame Phil (Shulman)!
    I don't like Cry for everyone much. River is ok but not for me.

Start with Free Hand. It retains their overt refinements as well as their (somewhat) eccentric approach to things, yet it's a highly accessible and stupenduously listenable record.

Then go either way. It's all good; the last two albums significantly less adventurously so, still there are some rocks going on even there as well.
    Agree with this advice--start with Free Hand and work backwards--it's beautiful complicated music --sometimes too eccentric but interesting and masterfully played and performed.

Quote Originally Posted by RapidRefresh View Post
    But that's the point!
    Well, Until you've heard Miles at The Fillmore, reserve a judgement to yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    Like putting on a nice pair of slippers. My uncle had me on the Zappa train years before that so I was used to "far out" music. My parents were not into jazz really... Herb Alpert was about as close as they got to that. haha. It was electric - and jazz... win!
    You gotta look at this from a 70's and parents' PoV... Fillmore is about as hard/difficult as it comes... even more for a teenager that's theoretically not in avant/free-jazz... My guess is that most parents of then wouldn't have offered this to their "little baby" if they knew how hard hitting the music was... .

I mean there are worlds of difference between Miles' EST or Kilimandjaro era and Fillmore.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Henry Cow is a great band, but get aquainted and confidential with GG first.
    Indeed, even if Leg End is from far their most accessible album (with iPoL, arguably)

I get it now! Thanks for the info. I looked up Henry Cow on Wiki and they look like they were very radical.
    These guys were definitely extreme (for the times) not only musically, but politically (communists)

...and you aren't 15
    And we're now in the 10's - not the 70's. I may be old game to some, but presenting HC ( or Miles at Fillmore) to a mid-to early teenager is risky, in terms of musical accetation anyways...
    When I was 15, I bought GG's Octopus and VdGG's Pawn Hearts, and both took me 15 years before "getting it "onto them... Not saying it will be as long as it took for me (didn't have a big brother or user's manual to help me dig them),

as for "tunefully catchy", Leg End is (of sorts), but this can't be said of most of their other albums - YMMV, though.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Son, there's more "know" on this topic right here in this very place than you'll ever be so lucky to find on Wiki:

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...nry+Cow+Thread

Needless to say, they generated not only a whole clan of bands and artists, but basically influenced a whole genre of their own - which in fact continues to expand and blossom.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    as for "tunefully catchy", Leg End is (of sorts), but this can't be said of most of their other albums - YMMV, though.
    I was only speaking of Leg End.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

I think I was 16 when I heard Octopus, maybe 17 or 18 when I heard In Praise of Learning and LegEnd. I didn't really understand Cow until I was in college and I had lived with it for a few years. Nowadays I find Cow is perhaps the more rewarding listen, because I hear it differently every single time.

Three Friends; their first fully-realized album.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Son, there's more "know" on this topic right here in this very place than you'll ever be so lucky to find on Wiki:

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...nry+Cow+Thread

Needless to say, they generated not only a whole clan of bands and artists, but basically influenced a whole genre of their own - which in fact continues to expand and blossom.
    Thanks for the link. Henry Cow seem too complicated for me right now. But as you said, I've got plenty of time to checkout all these different prog groups.

Thanks for the link. Henry Cow seem too complicated for me right now. But as you said, I've got plenty of time to checkout all these different prog groups.
    Henry Cow was actually easier for me to wrap my head around than Cardiacs. haha. BUT - the wiring is different for all of us. Just take a nice leisurely pace and you'll be fine. I tried to push King Crimson's Lizard too hard the first time and ended up hating it for years... then one day it clicked in. Brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    I tried to push King Crimson's Lizard too hard the first time and ended up hating it for years... then one day it clicked in. Brilliant!
    Yeah! Lizard remains one of the ultimate brimstones of listening transcendence when it comes to classic vintage progressive, together with Volume Two by Soft Machine and possibly something by Van der Graaf Generator. I'd suggest one tried those (or perhaps The Polite Force by Egg) before venturing into the lands of Cows and Magma.

Another great gateway to more off the wall prog with a good grounding in standard symph accessibility (imho) is the Pictures album by Island- get thee to the Laser's Edge website and check it out!!

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Another great gateway to more off the wall prog with a good grounding in standard symph accessibility (imho) is the Pictures album by Island- get thee to the Laser's Edge website and check it out!!
    It's been out of print for a decade. If not more.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

It's been out of print for a decade. If not more.
    Ah. eBay then.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Ah. eBay then.
    Actually, I just checked Laser's Edge and they have it listed there -- it's a Japanese mini LP reissue apparently.

I thought it was still out in some form or other...

Either way, it's still a complete mutha of an album - and, incidentally, a record bridging many of the above mentioned influences; some VdGG, GGiant, some Egg, even a bittu Magma: