Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I don't know if I can Hackett anymore?

Tickets go on sale for Phoenix (well, Scottsdale - 21 and over, dammit ) in 45 minutes...

http://www.ticketmaster.com/search?tm_link=tm_header_search&=&user_input=Steve +Hackett+Talking+Stick+Resort&q=Steve+Hackett+Talk ing+Stick+Resort

ETA: Up close and front and center - can't wait!
    Last edited by -=RTFR666=-; 11-21-2015 at 01:03 PM.
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Here's a review of the Keswick Theater show outside Philly on 11/20:
    http://wp.me/p4ZE0X-5Nt

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Does anyone know if this tour has been filmed yet?
    I'm pretty sure one of the England shows was filmed. I remember Roine mentioning it in the TFK email group. yes we certainly need an official release of this tour for those of us who can't go, no shows in the south of the US of course.

I saw the band in Albany. Great show, so happy to hear his solo material again. Unfortunately, the theater was probably a little over half full. His previous times through doing the all Genesis material, the place was packed. It bummed me out, can't believe people chose to skip this show....ugh.

Best Hackett tour.....ever.

Quote Originally Posted by eporter66 View Post
    I saw the band in Albany. Great show, so happy to hear his solo material again. Unfortunately, the theater was probably a little over half full. His previous times through doing the all Genesis material, the place was packed. It bummed me out, can't believe people chose to skip this show....ugh.
    It was like his 3rd visit in 3 years. People may just be a bit jaded. I was at all of them of course, and very glad the solo material was back this time around.

Florida, Georgia and NC Hackett fans, rejoice. Classic Prog ventures into the Southeastern states. Not sure if these shows have been schedule for awhile, but I just found out about the Durham, NC show on 4/19. I'll be there!

14 April 2016 - Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA - Steve Hackett Acolyte to Wolflight
    Thursday 14 April - Parker Playhouse, Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

15 April 2016 - Clearwater, FL, USA - Steve Hackett Acolyte to Wolflight
    Friday 15 April - Capitol Theatre, Clearwater, FL, USA

16 April 2016 - Orlando, FL, USA - Steve Hackett Acolyte to Wolflight
    Saturday 16 April - Plaza Theatre, Orlando, FL, USA

17 April 2016 - Atlanta, GA, USA - Steve Hackett Acolyte to Wolflight
    Sunday 17 April - Symphony Hall, Atlanta, GA, USA

19 April 2016 - Durham, NC, USA - Steve Hackett Acolyte to Wolflight
    Tuesday 19 April - Carolina Theatre, Durham, NC, USA

http://www.hackettsongs.com/tour.html

Durham, NC presale on now, passcode WOLFLIGHT

Best floor seats are $107 +charges, ouch, but got great seats.

Quote Originally Posted by eporter66 View Post
    Sadly most of his solo material never achieved popularity, even amongst prog rock fans. I never care to listen to his Genesis Revisited albums at all, since I finished High School my interest in Genesis began to diminish.
    Last edited by Rick Robson; 12-16-2015 at 02:46 PM.
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Robson View Post
    Sadly most of his solo material never achieved popularity, even amongst prog rock fans.
    He's had a good life-long career as a solo artist. Played his solo stuff live for a good 30+ years. It was never my bag, but much of it is pretty decent and worth hearing. His new tour attracted less, last year two sold out shows at the Arcada in St Charles IL, this year one show nicely packed but with seats still available. I though the new show was very good, but for me greatly paled in comparison to the full Genesis Revisited show. The Genesis material is just so much superior, and the show was well orchestrated and dramatic. One of the best concerts I've seen really... This year the show was a mixed bag of alright stuff with some really cool bits, and a shorted Genesis set that left you like a half eaten dinner. Still, good entertaining show. But, not the blockbuster that was the full revisited show.

^Funny, superiority always sounded as a lack of sense to me, especially when tastes are concerned. Btw, interesting how tastes tend to contrast here, up to the point of being so strikingly different......'Genesis Revisited' material never impressed me, nor I was convinced about Hackett's reasons to make them prevalent on his shows for the last 10 years, wondering whether it actually was what he most loved to do.

However, these days, after listening recently to the whole Budapest' '02 'Hungarian Horizons' show..........wow!.. now I realize what really is Steve Hackett damn comfortably playing mostly his own music.....he felt to me so 'at ease' that I end up stunningly amazed! , this was literally one of his greatest shows, ever!. And IMO, it indeed featured "Hackett playing Hackett"

Hungarian Horizons Live In Budapest (2002):

"Horizons - Gnossienne #1 - Bouree/Bacchus - Firth Of Fifth (stunning 1:10' excerpt w/ variation!) - Bay Of Kings - Syrinx - Imagining - Second Chance - Jacuzzi - Overnight Sleeper - The Barren Land - Black Light - Kim - Time Lapse At Milton Keynes - The Chinese Jam - Concerto In D - Hairless Heart - Cinema Paradiso - Mustard Seed - Gymnopedie #1 - Jazz On A Summer's Night - Little Cloud - Cavalcanti - Walking Away From Rainbows - Andante In C - Concert For Munich - The Journey - Skye Boat Song - By Paved Fountain - Etude In A Minor - Blood On The Rooftops - Hands Of The Priestess - C Minor Triplets - End Of Day - Ace Of Wands - Idyll - Aubade - Meditation"
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Robson View Post
    ^Funny, superiority always sounded as a lack of sense to me, especially when tastes are concerned.
    The classic Genesis songs are superior to Steve Hackett's solo material. That said, I can certainly understand why one might prefer that he play his own songs in concert (anywhere from having not burned out on them, to not caring for his band's performances of them). I picked up one of the Genesis Revisited live albums a couple of years ago and I think I've only played it twice, as a curiosity. If I want to hear that stuff live, I'd much rather hear it played by Genesis.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    My favorite aspect of Hackett's last few years of touring (aside from him and his cohorts hopefully earning some well-deserved compensation) has been watching Steve play those amazing solos. Even (or especially) as a non-musician, it's been very enlightening. I can't say he makes it look effortless, but he makes it look easy for him. And it looks like he takes great satisfaction from it too. I've seen him four times now (the NEARfest Friday show was the first) and each has been great.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    The classic Genesis songs are superior to Steve Hackett's solo material.
    Again, to me it never matters which of them (or whatever music) is 'superior', but I'll be so glad if Hackett keeps doing music so different, as much different from Genesis' as most of his solo material already done.

Had the very good fortune of seeing this tour as well as the Genesis Revisited tour a couple years back, both before packed crowds in DC. Steve still sounds amazing and plays impeccably (this band is top notch too). It's a true privilege to be able to see this classic music still played at the highest level. Will buy tickets as long as he continues touring.

It's a fortunate fact that Steve Hackett's band still plays impeccably, and I love it everytime I see John Hackett joining in, he's a great flute player. This version of Hairless Heart features stunningly beautiful flutes played by him on the aforementioned 'Hungarian Horizons' show in 2002, no wonder it is indeed my favourite!