Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Prog's biggest disappointments of 2015

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Well, that's how I would have taken it. I still remember when Genesis went Pop, the critics always used the word "mature" to describe their new sound.
    I can see this is a pointless discussion. Never knew mature meant the same thing as "safe".

Oh well.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Rush matured in the late 80s and almost never came back. I like my rock immature, frankly

Suspended
    Genesis were a "mature" band by the time of Nursery Cryme - by which I mean they had sorted out what kind of music they were going to make, and had got their songwriting to the point where the songs were cohesive, with a narrative and a real structure, rather than just a set of ideas thrown together. That's not at all the same as "safe".

^ I'm simply telling you what numerous critics wrote at the time. Take it up with them.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ I'm simply telling you what numerous critics wrote at the time. Take it up with them.
    Yes I know you were, and I agree with you. I'm just clarifying that I do not subscribe to the equation Mature = Safe = Bad.

I much preferred the tracks from steve Hacketts WolfLight "live" to be honest--I think they are just tracks that work well "live" --- still dont like that cover artwork though-- Its not the actual picture which Ive seen and is lovely--its whatever artwork technique they used. I dont like the cover much on Nads album either-although i think the album itself is absolutely great! Maybe its someone Inside Out are using who likes "gothic gone wrong" Just my opinion anyway.

Sometimes I feel so uninspired.

Sometimes I just don't know what to feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
    I much preferred the tracks from steve Hacketts WolfLight "live" to be honest--I think they are just tracks that work well "live" --- still dont like that cover artwork though-- Its not the actual picture which Ive seen and is lovely--its whatever artwork technique they used. I dont like the cover much on Nads album either-although i think the album itself is absolutely great! Maybe its someone Inside Out are using who likes "gothic gone wrong" Just my opinion anyway.
    I think it's maybe time Steve changed things up, maybe get a different producer in.

Sometimes, I feel like a nut

Sometimes, I don't

"Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

My biggest disappointment is that, in the year 2015, they still make candy bars with coconut.

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSolution View Post
    My biggest disappointment is that, in the year 2015, they still make candy bars with coconut.
    Write a 25 minute song about that

The biggest disappointment for me is the fake "Yes" still exists and touring. And the "Yes fans" that still going to their gigs and then polluting prog forums with endless "Yes tour reviews" and hate to the original Yes voice.
    When Squire was alive, he provided that circus some kind of legitimacy.
    But after he tragically passed away, those clowns lost all moral and legal rights to use the glory name.
    I'd really respected Howe and White if they had dropped the name Yes and picked up a different "Yesish" name, just like the three guys from Gentle Giant that call themselves Three Friends did.
    But apaprently $$$$ are more important for them.

The second biggest disappointment is Dave Gilmour's album. It's simply horrible. I couldn't belive it was Dave's album when I was listening to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Booba Kastorsky View Post

The second biggest disappointment is Dave Gilmour's album. It's simply horrible. I couldn't belive it was Dave's album when I was listening to it.
    I wasn't disappointed by that because I figured it wouldn't be good and so I haven't heard more than 2 minutes of the title track.

Nor have I listened to a note of the Pink Floyd's Leftoverture album put out a year ago.

We all knew both would suck, right? right??

The biggest disappointment for me is the fake "Yes" still exists and touring. And the "Yes fans" that still going to their gigs and then polluting prog forums with endless "Yes tour reviews" and hate to the original Yes voice.
    But after he tragically passed away, those clowns lost all moral and legal rights to use the glory name.
    I'm going to send you a Get Well Soon card.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I'd really respected Howe and White if they had dropped the name Yes and picked up a different "Yesish" name, just like the three guys from Gentle Giant that call themselves Three Friends did.
    Yeesh!
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSolution View Post
    oops, I thought you meant they don't.

I had a reply there but deleted it. Anyway, since I now have a post in this thread...not disappointed with the very few releases I did purchase (being broke sux). I purposely avoided stuff I thought might disappoint me and avoided the disappointment. Just like every year, my 'wishlist' and 'need to investigate list' keep growing.
    Last edited by zravkapt; 11-14-2015 at 10:30 AM.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Jon Neudorf
    Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    oops, I thought you meant they don't.

I had a reply there but deleted it. Anyway, since I now have a post in this thread...not disappointed with the very few releases I did purchase (being broke sux). I purposely avoided stuff I thought might disappoint me and avoided the disappointment. Just like every year, my 'wishlist' and 'need to investigate list' keep growing.
    Which 2015 albums did you purchase?

Cheers,
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    Yeesh!
    Is that the new band-name for Yes?

No NEARfest again, Steven Wilson's Hand.Cannot.Erase and the Miami Dolphins....AGAIN!

Quote Originally Posted by jlneudorf View Post
    Which 2015 albums did you purchase?

Cheers,
    Jon
    Battles - La Di Da Di
    Jaga Jazzist - Starfire
    Guapo - Obscure Knowledge
    Zombi - Shape Shift

Maybe 2 or 3 non-'prog' albums as well. Here's a few (you can debate the style) I heard most or all of and wanted to get but haven't yet:

Squarepusher - Damogen Furies
    Dan Deacon - Gliss Riffer
    Thy Catafalque - Sgùrr
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

I would feel the same as you about Yes if I cared anymore, but gave up on them years ago. On the other hand I actually love the new Gilmore cd.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Not a total turkey, but Rattle That Lock was somewhat disappointing for me. I loved both The Endless River and On an Island, so I was expecting better.
    Exactly!

My biggest disappointment is that I haven't already blocked this vapid troll.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
    I dont like the cover much on Nads album either-although i think the album itself is absolutely great! Maybe its someone Inside Out are using who likes "gothic gone wrong" Just my opinion anyway.
    The artist is Claude Martin, who also did the UNIFAUN reissue and the latest from my band The Winter Tree, "Earth Below".
    I think he was just doing what Nad wanted. Claude's an amazing artist and the new Nad cover art isn't really indicative of his style.
    http://www.claudemartin.net/

I agree that Nad's new album is really great.