Thread: Radiohead - Amnesiac

Radiohead - Amnesiac

Recorded at the same time as Kid A but released a year later. Not as consistent as that album but even more experimental. I remember many fans didn't like it when it came out (even the ones who loved Kid A). Your thoughts?
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I like it as much as I like all the post Bends albums, which is quite a lot.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Actually, it was released 8 months after Kid A. Anyway, I prefer Kid A. I haven't heard either in a long time though. I do remember this one being quite experimental though and maybe a bit too experimental for my tastes. However, I didn't dislike it. I suppose I'll have to revisit at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Actually, it was released 8 months after Kid A.
    I didn't say exactly a year later. I just know one was 2000 and the other 2001.

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    I didn't say exactly a year later. I just know one was 2000 and the other 2001.
    Fair enough. For some reason I used to think it was six months later but I just looked it up. Most of the sessions were the same but it appears there was some stuff recorded a bit later and that stuff was added to Amnesiac.

I have to hear it. I don't know if I ever did when it came out.

Wonderful album and 'Pyramid Song' is one of my absolute favourite songs by them. I believe this was written around the same time as 'Everything In It's Right Place' when Thom got a new piano. That track is probably my favourite on 'Kid A' too.

Suspended
    I've not heard this one. I enjoyed The Bends and OK Computer, but Kid A was a bit too strange for my tastes and I lost interest after that.

I heard Hail To the Thief in its entirety once, and didn't like it much except for There There; I heard In Rainbows and thought it was pleasant enough but not mindblowing. I can understand why some people prefer their later albums - they are more adventurous.

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    I remember many fans didn't like it when it came out (even the ones who loved Kid A).
    That was exactly the camp I was in at the time, having enjoyed Kid A but unable to get into Amnesiac. I haven't really listened to it in a long time, though, so maybe it would be different now?

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I have to hear it. I don't know if I ever did when it came out.
    This is the most well-known and well-regarded song on the album (mentioned by Karda Estra):

Good stuff, but I reach for Kid A more often.

The only one I liked after OK Computer was In Rainbows. Kid A and Amnesiac were way too repetitive and boring to me.
    Last edited by Guitarplyrjvb; 11-08-2015 at 10:14 PM.

I really like this one. Sure, not as much as OK, Kid A, Rainbows, or Thief, but its got lots to love and its so out there and challenging. Some real beauty too
    "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa

Personally, I think it all went downhill after OK Computer which I see as a masterpiece.

Although Kid A was a step forwards into more esoteric territory after the popular success of OK Computer, it felt like Amnesiac was really going somewhere deeper and took me a little while to warm to, although there were immediate highs, notably Pyramid Song which is one of their career highlights. I think it fits in perfectly with their development arc, and it gets a lot of love from me still.

Looking at their discography, I can't quite believe that King Of Limbs was back in 2011, it feels more recent than then, it is about time we heard something new isn't it?

I saw them live on the summer of 2000 and thought they were terrific - it seemed like they went even further then OK computer and were headed for another milestone album
    The show was prior to the release of Kid A
    So I must say both Kid A and Amnesiac were a serious let down after that promising show
    Its like they tried too hard to be experimental and to push the envelope but its obvious they went too far
    In retrospect I think they should have released one album and it would have been a really good one
    I lost them after hail to the thief

I think In Rainbows was a superior release to Hail To The Thief and in many ways harks back to the less experimental more melodic style of before, so I would heartily recommend a listen again Udi. King Of Limbs went back "out there" again though and is an acquired taste.

I've seen them on every tour since The Bends, in varied settings, urging from in front of 75,000 at Glastonbury to indoor arena shows, and the Kid A / Amnesiac material really packs a sonic punch, there's nothing quite like The National Anthem at events like these.

One of their albums(I forgot which)has a song that is a good example of a "dry" choral mellotron. I saw it mentioned on progarchives once but I'm not sure what song it is. I'm pretty sure it was from OK computer but I don't remember and haven't listened to that one in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    One of their albums(I forgot which)has a song that is a good example of a "dry" choral mellotron. I saw it mentioned on progarchives once but I'm not sure what song it is. I'm pretty sure it was from OK computer but I don't remember and haven't listened to that one in a while.
    You're probably thinking of "Exit Music (For A Film)"

I like Amnesiac a lot. I'd have to say there are more tracks I like on Amnesiac than on Kid A, but they're all indispensable. Pablo was okay, Bends and Computer are great, Hail was a bit of a letdown, Rainbows was great, King and Yorke's solo work were disappointing. Not long until the new one should drop...