Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: And the Prog Album of The Year Is.....?

Kristi
    Quote Originally Posted by Toothyspook View Post
    Steven Wilson aside, the only album which leaves all others in its wake is latest by Anekdoten
    Amen. There is nothing left to say in my opinion.

Well there are two clear front runners for me:

Advent - The Silent Sentinel
    Thieves' Kitchen - The Clockwork Universe

Others that I also am enjoying include Hooffoot, Steven Wilson, Anekdoten and Echolyn.

Best reissue for me is clearly the Tony Banks, for all that keyboard instrumental music on disc four that is so beautiful.

Steven Wilson & echolyn for me.

Well, I'd like to thank those of you who quoted Madeleine, it's very nice of you and makes me proud !!! As for me, I did take SchnellerTollerMeier in the face, beautiful and a must-have!

Man I'm at the wrong site because my choices are nothing like all of these so far...

I have been playing the Kamasi Washington so thanks to those who posted about it!!
    Enjoy the moment... It's the only way to fly!

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    This is another one on my short list. Haven't had it long enough to totally absorb it, but I'm really enjoying it a lot.

Bill

Album of the year? Which year?

If you mean 2015, then it's way too soon to tell. Maybe next Feb.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    Album of the year? Which year?

If you mean 2015, then it's way too soon to tell. Maybe next Feb.
    As a matter of interest what album are you thinking of that you expect to become a contender?

Well there are two clear front runners for me:

Advent - The Silent Sentinel

Others that I also am enjoying include Hooffoot, Steven Wilson, Anekdoten and Echolyn.

Best reissue for me is clearly the Tony Banks, for all that keyboard instrumental music on disc four that is so beautiful.
    Absolutely enthralled by Silent Sentinel so I guess I need to listen to that Thieves' Kitchen record, huh?
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Absolutely enthralled by Silent Sentinel so I guess I need to listen to that Thieves' Kitchen record, huh?
    Yes I think it is fantastic! Although different from 'Advent'. Both are very solid composition wise, but whereas Advent has a 'Gentle Giant' influence, Thieves' Kitchen more of a 'Hatfield & The North' influence I'd say, with some lovely female vocals.

Agusa, Pixel, La Fabbrica dell'Assoluto, Herba D'Hameli, Hooffoot, Thieves Kitchen, Ghost Rhythms, Schnellertollermeier, Sanguine Hum, Alco Frisbass, Jaga Jazzist, Eldberg, Motorpsycho, Simon Steensland, Joanna Newsom, Magma, Anekdoten. John Zorn's Witches & Demons may end up my fave of the year.

Not heard Reve General, Advent, Guapo, Ciccada... There's a new Panzerpappa to be had around Christmas, so I'm anticipating that one. Their recent material sounds splendid.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

And the Prog Album of The Year Is.....?

echolyn -I Hear You Listening
    Special attention goes to IZZ & 3RDegree.

I've got the new Riverside & Spock's Beard growing in my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Ciccada... There's a new Panzerpappa to be had around Christmas, so I'm anticipating that one. Their recent material sounds splendid.
    New Ciccada is excellent, imo. Much better than the first one to my ears, definitely worth checking out. It's also in consideration among my top albums for 2015, though I doubt it will come out #1. I'm also looking forward to the new Panzerpappa.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sordel View Post
    As a matter of interest what album are you thinking of that you expect to become a contender?
    Yeah, I know that's really the idea behind the thread, but it still feels odd to start thinking of rankings so prematurely. After all, we've still got two whole months for somebody to try and top Miley & the Flaming Lips.

At a guess, my fav progressive thing for this year just might be Africa Express's take on Terry Riley's In C, although it'll be hard to compare with KoMaRa and Tim Bowness's newest. The Stick Men recordings with David Cross are also top-notch.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Agusa,
    Good... but not as good as the debut imo....

If Wilson and Echolyn are the frontrunners, then we can conclude this has been just an average year for prog. I own both and find them to be a step down from each artist's preceding releases.

Of the discs mentioned so far in this thread, I'd vote for Hooffoot.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

...and since I should vote also and allow you to dissect my taste:

VESPERO- Fitful Slumber Until 5:00AM
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    New Ciccada is excellent, imo. Much better than the first one to my ears, definitely worth checking out. It's also in consideration among my top albums for 2015, though I doubt it will come out #1. I'm also looking forward to the new Panzerpappa.

Bill
    I think so too. Forgot to include it among my favorites, but definitely in my top ten at least.

Pretty difficult to choose (as always), lots of releases this year I really enjoyed. The Echolyn, Grand Tour, Anekdoten and Nad Sylvan releases are all contenders, but as it stands right now my choice is:

Unreal City - Il Paese Del Tramonto

That disc is excellent. I played it through twice in a row when I got the set, as it was just so good. The Ant Phillips box was lovely too, and of course the Tull Minstrel set.

Haven't seen anyone mention the Witchwood album yet, that's a very good one in the 'retro' vein. Oh, and I really like the Aristocrats album too!
    Last edited by Progatron; 10-31-2015 at 05:36 PM.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Echoyn, Steven Wilson, and Neal Morse. all equally good.

Sonar - Static Motion and Schnellertollermeier - X are my picks. I'm up for new Panzerpappa!

I cannot just pick one, never could, never will, everything is day to day, some speculative releases.
    John McLaughlin - Black Light
    Marbin - Aggressive Hippies
    Dweezil Zappa - Via Zammata
    Ali Neander - This One Goes To Eleven
    Snarky Puppy - Sylva
    European Mantra - The
    Special Providence - Essence of Change
    Wendell Holmes Jr. Lewis Ave.
    Jeff Richman - Hotwire
    Toto - XIV

O and there was some prog in 2015 also
    Umpfel - Cactus
    Shardborne - Living Bridges
    Advent - Silent Sentinel
    Guapo - Obscure Knowledge
    Not A Good Sign - From A Distance
    Analog Trio - Synthi Mental Moog -

Thanks Dan. We've gotten so many "best of 2015" comments that you may see something like this in a magazine or something:

BestOf2015Ad.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Boceephus View Post
    echolyn -I Hear You Listening
    Special attention goes to IZZ & 3RDegree.

I've got the new Riverside & Spock's Beard growing in my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have my ultimate favourites with conviction for 2015 however I cannot understand why Joe Satriani is not listed on ProgArchives!? I love that site so much, but but but .... arghhh ... Besides other favs this album tops them all, it's number one for me! Joe Satriani - Shockwave Supernova

Echolyn love that band Izz too, but Nearfest buddies etc. aside truthfully it is not number one album of the year. They are fantastic yes but not number one.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    I think I picked up a grand total of seven albums released this year. Always late to the party, I guess.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.