Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello all you wonderful peeps, I want to become a frequent member here if you let me

Hello all you wonderful peeps, I want to become a frequent member here if you let me

I have been a member here for quite some time and only commented on two posts, thus obviously I feel like an outsider (ugly duckling comes to mind ).
    However, I really do enjoy reading your comments on this site, some comments are interesting, others are really funny too Members here seem have a great sense of humour.
    Anyway, this is my very sad attempt to try to connect with everyone (anyone) and feel more welcomed on the forum.

Thank you very much for reading the above
    Friendly regards plus hugs
    Sonia

P.S. All this goes beside the fact that I really love music, especially prog moozik or whatever that means

5 views and no replies so far.
    This message will self destruct in 5 minutes.
    hahahaha just kidding ...

Suspended
    Hi Sonia,

You've started no threads of your own, and only commented on two other posts. That makes me wonder - how interested are you really in the subject of the board?

The best way to connect with the members is to actually participate on the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Hi Sonia,

You've started no threads of your own, and only commented on two other posts. That makes me wonder - how interested are you really in the subject of the board?

The best way to connect with the members is to actually participate on the forum.
    Hello Bob, I did try on two threads to connect with people however I got not replies and made me feel like a wallflower, this is why I tried the above to no avail. That said, I am certainly not going to drag myself along insisting on here. I do have to give up. And this is ok too. A big hug to you xxx

Hi Sonia,

Maybe you could start by asking a question about progressive music that you find interesting / unusual / puzzling / confusing / inspirational / funny, etc. That would be one way to participate.

In the meantime, I'll ask you a couple:

If you had to show preference for one over the other - heaven forbid! - which would you gravitate toward more: music that has great atmosphere, or music that is well-composed? It doesn't necessarily have to be progressive rock music. What do you think is the basis for this preference?

Is there a style or sub-genre that you tried to get into but for some reason just couldn't? What element was it that made it difficult to enjoy?

As you know, people on here have a very wide range of opinions, so given the right topic, once you get them started, some very interesting discussions can and do develop. Here's to your increased participation. Don't be afraid - Jump in!

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    Hi Sonia,

Maybe you could start by asking a question about progressive music that you find interesting / unusual / puzzling / confusing / inspirational / funny, etc. That would be one way to participate.

In the meantime, I'll ask you a couple:

If you had to show preference for one over the other - heaven forbid! - which would you gravitate toward more: music that has great atmosphere, or music that is well-composed? It doesn't necessarily have to be progressive rock music. What do you think is the basis for this preference?

Is there a style or sub-genre that you tried to get into but for some reason just couldn't? What element was it that made it difficult to enjoy?

As you know, people on here have a very wide range of opinions, so given the right topic, once you get them started, some very interesting discussions can and do develop. Here's to your increased participation. Don't be afraid - Jump in!
    Hello Koreabruce

You made a good point there,

It depends on the mood I am, atmospheric music I like a lot too, i.e. The Cosmos TV Documentary comes to mind with Vangelis music

Now back to your question, I actually like all kinds of music, although I tend to prefer instrumental music, simply because most vocalists are really not that good especially compared to David Byron, Freddie Mercury, Paul McCartney, Robert Plant, Daniel Gildenlow etc. just to name a selective few. Although sometimes I do love lyrics, some are preachy and I really don't care to be preached upon, I left school ages ago.

An example of great singer song writer to me are Roger Waters and David Bowie.

Great guitarists for me are Jeff Beck (he plays the most sensitive endearing notes), Al DiMeola (race with the devil on a Spanish highway OMG no one can beat that!), Brian May (he plays most memorable tunes, I love tunes) Joe Satriani (prolific awesome), Santana (guitar samba added by great percussion), just to name a few.

I enjoy avant garde jazz, the likes of Miles Davis, Gerry Mulligan, Chet Baker, John Coltrane, Dizzy Gillespie etc. Bitches Brew album by Miles Davis extends beyond that and I love this album so much!

Guitar by far is my fav instrument, other fav string instrument is the piano. Favourite brass instrument is the sax (Miles plays Trumpet, I know).

My taste in music is diverse, from The Beatles to Tom Waits, to Pink Floyd etc etc etc.

It's hard to sum up what I like, what I currently am getting bored with are Rick Wakeman like whistling keys and mermaids singing on the background.

Hopefully this answers your question?

Btw nice to meet you, Koreabruce
    hugs

Hi Sonia,

Greg Jones here! The Arabicadabra handle refers to the absolute magical qualities of the coffees I brew. Your passion for the music you love has always impressed me - the way the song Starless connects with you being one example. I think this site can be hard to feel comfortable in. I also suspect that there are some people who get all tongue-tied around a beautiful woman and may take a while to see your Snow White heart from their emotional dwarfism . But whatever the case, nice to see you here!

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Hi Sonia,

I can assure you Sonia's interest in prog is real. She's been an active member in PA for years. She's also active artiste for some prog acts.

welcome here Sonia
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

And here's a question you can answer: if one were to start investigating Corvus Stone, where would you recommend one begin and why?

Quality of posts is more important than quantity. Don't worry about not posting much- better to post on what you know and like, rather than a lot of ignorant hot air.
    Last edited by JJ88; 10-26-2015 at 07:16 AM.

Welcome Sonia! Stick with it, ignore a few things, and you'll find much to enjoy here.
    I read you on PA in the thread about PE, and you should be fine here. Every now and then, just let comments roll off like water off a duck's back. Always remember : Prog fans are highly opinionated, not as smart as they think they are, and very, very literal. There's also a contrarian strain here, but thankfully not a majority. However, most of the people here like to have fun, and are serious music fans. One way to find like-minded individuals is to join in on Way Off Topic threads that interest you.
    Lastly, if that avatar is a picture of you, the term "ugly duckling" is not applicable.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Hi Sonia, good to see you here, you'll fit in fine, you posted in the middle of the night in the USA which may be the reason for getting nothing for the first few hours.

Welcome aboard (no hugs emoji here so we'll go with)
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonia_Mota View Post
    this is my very sad attempt to try to connect with everyone (anyone) and feel more welcomed on the forum.
    Everyone is welcome on this board, until proven otherwise.

I recall you posted a while back with some of your artwork. I thought you exhibited a really positive attitude in that thread in the face of a few somewhat critical comments. I thought that was really classy. I also think your post above shows you have broad tastes and a good knowledge of music generally. I think you would be a welcome addition here to the discussion, and hope you feel comfortable just jumping in, which you should. I personally would enjoy reading your take on a lot of what we discuss here.

Hope that makes you feel more welcome, and I hope to see you around the forum!

Bill

Hi Sonia.

Any fan of Bitches Brew is a friend of mine!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Hi Sonia -- Actually, I remember you: we had a brief conversation about the current state of music programming

Looking forward to chatting with you more
    Last edited by klothos; 10-26-2015 at 08:41 AM.

Hello Sonia.Welcome to The Lodge.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Sonia! Very cool to see you here! Tell us your favorite bands! I want to see if some are mine too!

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Welcome Sonia (see, we do welcome new folks , it just sometimes takes a bit to come out of the woodwork).

BTW, what country do you call home? And one more question: Which Prog artist/band is your favourite from the 70's, and which is your favourite from the modern era?

Enjoy your stay!

My favorite album of 2015 so far is: Ghost Rhythms - MAdeleine

1 Its all instrumental
    2 They call their music avant-jazz

https://ghostrhythms.bandcamp.com/album/madeleine

Check them out!

...and welcome btw.

Hi Sonia! Great to see you on PE... I talk to you from Facebook, posing with my poster artwork of Leibowitz!

Just beware of the dogs here, otherwise you'll be fine.

I suppose if you're an online friend of Trane's, your references are good with me. (Don't get too puffed up, Hugues).

Welcome Sonia!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Sonia_Mota View Post
    5 views and no replies so far.
    This message will self destruct in 5 minutes.
    hahahaha just kidding ...
    You only waited a hour before posting this. I'm guessing you don't have a job, spouse, kids, pets, hobbies, ailments that keep you occupied?

Nighttime (US-wise) is kinda quiet around here since a lot of our main posters are in the US so it took a few hours for things to "wake up".

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Isn't this your second introduction to PE? I don't remember any of your previous posts but do remember that picture. Anyway... just gotta jump in and get wet. Sure, its cold at first but you get used to it after a bit. And don't be afraid of not having enough knowledge about a particular topic, band or genre. Never stops me from posting something, anything. My motto: if you don't have something constructive to say, make jokes. But if I don't respond right away to a thread you start, its because I dont want to kill it.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    And don't be afraid of not having enough knowledge about a particular topic, band or genre. Never stops me from posting something, anything.
    Good lord no. We're like Click & Clack the Tappet brothers, unencumbered by the thought process. We've proven over and over that two or more people who know nothing about a subject can have long and productive discussions about it.