Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Update from Steven Wilson re: upcoming remixes

Update from Steven Wilson re: upcoming remixes

Still can't justify pulling the trigger on that Hackett box, it's very expensive IMO. Looks like the Tull fans who want SW to do Stand Up are in for a treat, and those who were hoping for Songs From The Wood are going to have to be patient. Personally, I've been awaiting news of Topographic Oceans, but I'm still not sure if that's even in the cards at this point. Oranges And Lemons is the best XTC album IMO, wouldn't mind hearing that on my system!

From his own Facebook page:

Just a reminder that the next few weeks will see a number of remixes of classic albums released - I did these over a long period of time, so it's pure coincidence (and unfortunate for the wallet!) that they are all coming out almost simultaneously.

Headphone Dust already have stock of XTC "Oranges and Lemons" and Gentle Giant "Octopus" and will start shipping these to overseas customers later this week in time for the official 30th October release date. Yes (official) "Fragile" has been delayed one week to 6th November.

Meanwhile the Steve Hackett "Premonitions" box set is released this Friday, 23rd Oct, and the one-off manufacturing run is already sold out on pre-orders at Universal, as well as several major mail order outlets. However, Burning Shed still have it for pre-order, and if you don't need the whole 14 disc set, I've been told that there will be stand alone special editions of "Please Don't Touch" and "Spectral Mornings" next year, both including the 5.1 remixes.

Burning Shed are also carrying the Opeth "Deliverance / Damnation" 4 disc set, which is another one out on 30th October - this includes new mixes of both albums in stereo and 5.1; Damnation by myself, and Deliverance by Bruce Soord.

Last this year will be the next in the series of limited edition deluxe editions of the Jethro Tull catalogue. "Too Old to Rock'n'Roll, Too Young to Die" will be released on 27th November, and includes numerous stereo and 5.1 remixes of album tracks and related material. While not confirmed, it's most likely the next Tull project will be to stop at 1976 for now, and go back to 1969 to remix the band's second album Stand Up.

There are still a few finished remixes that are yet to be scheduled for release (notably 2 more for King Crimson, and the debut Roxy Music album), otherwise the above goes a long way to bringing things up to date with regard to what was done and awaiting release. With the success of Hand. Cannot. Erase. I'm pretty busy with my own music and touring for the time being, but there's been some very exciting invitations coming in to remix more classic artists, so I certainly plan to do more when I can in 2016.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Great, I love Stand Up!
    I was sure that since there was already a remaster of it that came with bonus live show in 5.1 that this one wont get the SW treatment.
    Though songs from the woods would also benefit from a multichannel release, just imagine all the vocals surrounding you...
    Cant wait for the first Roxy Music, wasnt there talk about the second one also getting a deluxe issue?

Simple Mind's Once upon a Time is due for release but I guess it isn't one his projects?

Cookie Monster Guitarist Onomatopoeic's Avatar
    I'm pretty busy with my own music and touring for the time being, but there's been some very exciting invitations coming in to remix more classic artists...
    Was thinking the other day that none of the Fleetwood Mac albums have been touched as far as remastering or deluxe treatments go (unreleased and alternate tracks, etc.).

The only Fleetwood Mac albums I personally care about are from the pre-Lindsey/Stevie period.

I'd like to hear what he did with XTC's "Oranges and Lemons." It's a great album that could use some better EQing.

Quote Originally Posted by Onomatopoeic View Post
    Was thinking the other day that none of the Fleetwood Mac albums have been touched as far as remastering or deluxe treatments go (unreleased and alternate tracks, etc.).
    For the album Then Play On there was a remastered CD a couple years ago of the original UK tracklist, and the outtakes (like the full "Madge" jam) have appeared on some other CDs. However, a more organized series of their early albums would be welcome.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Onomatopoeic View Post

The only Fleetwood Mac albums I personally care about are from the pre-Lindsey/Stevie period.
    Even a good stereo CD from the original master tapes of Buckingham Knick effort would be good. I know there are digital copy of needle drops, and I compared a couple. I find the highs on these as not clean.

Nice to see Steve Hackett's set has sold so well, even before its release. Good times for Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    For the album Then Play On there was a remastered CD a couple years ago of the original UK tracklist, and the outtakes (like the full "Madge" jam) have appeared on some other CDs. However, a more organized series of their early albums would be welcome.
    My favourite package of pre-Reprise Fleetwood Mac is this ancient set:

http://www.discogs.com/Fleetwood-Mac...elease/3240146

The sequencing isn't perfect (Mr Wonderful not in original album order spread out over 2 discs though it would have fit on one, and the non-album singles not in chronological order) but there you'll get almost all of their output up to 'Then Play On', including the one-off Immediate single.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    Do you have a link? I could not find anything with the entire Madge (i.e rattlesnake shake). Thanks!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

^Steve, this seems to be what you want, specifically on the 2nd disc:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Vaudeville_Years

I don't have it myself to confirm. I think these recordings (demos, outtakes and other ephemera) have turned up on other CDs if this one is not available.

Stand Up, seriously? Hugely disappointing. I was really excited for Songs from The Wood. Not that Stand Up isn't a good album (it is), but it doesn't seem like it would transfer well to surround, whereas Songs would be perfect. Will be the first Tull remix I pass on.

Stand Up is one that *would* benefit from a stereo remix. The mix is of its time with some strange stereo placement, as I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Stand Up is one that *would* benefit from a stereo remix. The mix is of its time with some strange stereo placement, as I recall.
    Perhaps. I don't know. It just seems we were building momentum and pushing toward Stormwatch (which has some notable unreleased material and really needs the upgrade) and now we've gone backwards for no other reason than it will sell. Can't say I'm surprised, just disappointed.

It is a dated mix and since I don't think anything from it has been remixed (even on the Living In The Past album "Bouree" remains the original mix while most of the rest was remixed) I'd be very curious to hear it. The late 70's albums would also be welcome.

^The Living In The Past album itself has not received a mass-market 2cd release (I think there was an audiophile one). Then again it doesn't have the value it once did as all the non-album tracks are now easily available elsewhere.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Stand Up, seriously? Hugely disappointing. I was really excited for Songs from The Wood. Not that Stand Up isn't a good album (it is), but it doesn't seem like it would transfer well to surround, whereas Songs would be perfect. Will be the first Tull remix I pass on.
    Well yeh, and it's going to be tougher to do Songs from the Wood. Stand may actually improve the best from a remix using clean equipment. Now the fact that you don't like blues, is another thing.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    ... now we've gone backwards for no other reason than it will sell. Can't say I'm surprised, just disappointed.
    I have much more interest in Songs from the Wood etc. than I do in Stand Up, but if it's the case that the decision to work on the latter is a commercial one (which I find surprising, but whatever) then I applaud the move. There is more chance of my getting the albums I want if they make money out of the enterprise than there would be if the new versions didn't sell.

I don't see why that's a problem.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Stand Up is my all time favorite by Tull. So, personally interested.....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Now the fact that you don't like blues, is another thing.
    Who said I didn't like blues?

delaying a remix of "Songs From The Wood" until fall of 2016 at the earliest makes sense if your going to push it as a 30th aniversary special (released in Feb '77), so its a good time to plug the missing pieces of the catalog.. maybe an Aqualung re-release in the book style that the latest have been so sucessful with... ( I know SW has already done it, but the box with the vinyl was too much.)

"Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are
    This will save your soul or break it forever "

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Darn you Progotron, you made me order the Hacket set! Burning Shed's price beat the pants off Amazon's.

Storm Watch? I have that remaster that came with a DVD. We're such suckers sometimes - if he does it, I'll probably buy it.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 10-18-2015 at 11:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Darn you Progotron, you made me order the Hacket set!
    I did no such thing! Seems to me, it's quite pricey anywhere you look. I know it's 14 discs, but c'mon...

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Storm Watch? I have that remaster that came with a DVD. We're such suckers sometimes - if he does it, I'll probably buy it.
    That's A that comes with the DVD, but I'm with you... I'll buy every last Tull set that SW does, because they really are beautiful and bring me great joy!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Worth noting that in the UK, Stand Up was really their commercial peak.

I'm really interested in a remix of Stand Up. I love that album. I'm an early Tull fan though... I dont venture out much past APP

Suspended
    Stand Up is one that *would* benefit from a stereo remix.
    ... but on the other hand, is Benefit one that would stand up well with such a remix?