Thread: Rodolfo Maltese dead at 68

Rodolfo Maltese dead at 68

Not sure if this has been posted or not.

Banco guitarist, Rodolfo Maltese died earlier this week.

Wonderful player for one of the best prog bands ever.

Another sad loss.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Yup, there were a whoppin' eight posts in that recent RIP thread. Only goes to show the vital state of this "prog".
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Yuup,

not only that, at least for me, one of the most important bands of (this kind of) Prog loses another vital member (and of course not just the band)
    in relativ short time (and almost lost another one), but hardly anyone seems to care.

^

True. There has occurred some kind of change - or "development" - in only the past 10 years or so, in that the general outwardly enthusiasm towards this musical "genre" itself (as opposed to merely a given selection of names) appears to have somewhat diminished.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Would likely have drawn more attention here had it been originally posted on the Main page. I know I missed it, so appreciate the posting. I love Banco, saw that Nearfest set from the third row and will spin some tonight. RIP Rodolfo.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Would likely have drawn more attention here had it been originally posted on the Main page.
    It was.

I also think it would draw more attention if it was mentioned that he was the guitarist of Banco, in the thread title.

Glad I got the chance to see them live at NEARfest, and coincidentally, I was just listening to Io Sono..., and Darwin the other day. Beautiful music. RIP.

neil
    Last edited by boilk; 10-09-2015 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Yup, there were a whoppin' eight posts in that recent RIP thread. Only goes to show the vital state of this "prog".
    He never sent me a birthday card.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    He never sent me a birthday card.
    But then no one else did either, did they - smartfart?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I love Banco too, but never had a chance to see them perform. I've also only seen a few photos of Di Giacomo, so I don't that much associate the music with individuals aside from Di Giacomo.

I honestly don't get these kinds of judgmental posts. Are people supposed to mourn for his sake or yours?

Im so glad I got to see Banco play live at Nearfest, one of the great concerts of my life. That, and meeting Francesco DiGiacomo, were certainly two things I thought were totally beyond the realm of possibility when I first heard Banco in the mid 90's. They have taken some fatal blows, and here is another loss. I am thankful to have had a brush with their greatness.

This is very sad, 68 seems very young. I'm also glad to have seen Banco at both Prog Fest and NearFest, they were very good both times. Banco remains probably my favorite Italian band, and one of my overall favorite Prog bands for the classic works in the 70s.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I honestly don't get these kinds of judgmental posts. Are people supposed to mourn for his sake or yours?
    None. The mourning is supposed to be for the loss of potential in the music, which is the main object of supposed discussion in forums like this. Try comparing this event to the seemingly collapsing cosmos occurring when some Chris S. sadly passed away. Did the latter accomplish any more vital expression of music these past 30 years than someone like Rodolfo M. did? Consequently, one begs to open for a question as to whether people perhaps aren't ardently into that 'main object' any longer. That's all.

As for someone's effort to strike a joke at comments concerning a musician's passing, check the conehead manual for reference.
    Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 10-10-2015 at 10:32 AM.

None. The mourning is supposed to be for the loss of potential in the music, which is the main object of supposed discussion in forums like this. Try comparing this event to the seemingly collapsing cosmos occurring when some Chris S. sadly passed away. Did the latter accomplish any more vital expression of music these past 30 years than someone like Rodolfo M. did? Consequently, one begs to open for a question as to whether people perhaps aren't ardently into that 'main object' any longer. That's all.

As for someone's effort to strike a joke at comments concerning a musician's passing, check the conehead manual for reference.
    Not sure what you're referring to there.

I just wouldn't judge the state of Prog on the number of responses to RIP threads.

I just wouldn't judge the state of Prog on the number of responses to RIP threads.
    Which is absolutely not what I'm doing - merely pointing to how this can serve as simple illustration.

No, that "state of Prog" is better judged by its general lack of cultural and semantic coherence, historical consequence and impact, an overall definition with etymological connotations and not least its utter lack of resonance even with its own self-declared "fanbase". But hey, who's to care; rock music at large is succumbing altogether now.

Which is absolutely not what I'm doing - merely pointing to how this can serve as simple illustration.

No, that "state of Prog" is better judged by its general lack of cultural and semantic coherence, historical consequence and impact, an overall definition with etymological connotations and not least its utter lack of resonance even with its own self-declared "fanbase". But hey, who's to care; rock music at large is succumbing altogether now.
    You can't expect all prog fans to like all prog. Although I do. Well, I like Magma and Quasar, that's quite a range I'd say.

Quite.

You can't expect all prog fans to like all prog. Although I do. Well, I like Magma and Quasar
    I don't think it's a question of taste or preference, but of a common mimimum of overall insight. I'm not big on Quasar, although I've got the debut with that (uhm...) "epic" on it.

Anyway, "prog" is not happening - and I doubt if it actually has to any notable extent since 1978. Advanced rock composition beyond this was never truly discovered or appreciated by the former followers of said 'genre', seeing how it had long since surpassed its parameters.