Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Catherine Ribeiro & Alpes

Catherine Ribeiro & Alpes

The complete works (from 2bis to La déboussole) will finally be available in a 9 CDs boxset, released on 23/10.
    No booklet, no bonus tracks (although professional live recordings are known to exist) though.

alpes.jpg

What's the music like? This lady gets name-dropped a lot on blogs...

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    What's the music like?
    Her voice if often likened to Nico's, but while there's some truth to the comparison, I think it's important to stress how Ribeiro was basically always a singer in active search of challenge and transcendence (so yes, if the spirit of Nico's The Marble Index is anything to go by). Her best works are positively avant-garde, merging chanson/chanteuse-traditions with elements of neo-cabaret, folk, snippets of modern jazz or progressive and industrial rock. Her voice has enormous force, and consequently, paired with existentialist and sometimes esoteric lyrics and often highly refined arrangements, this results in some truly powerful sound.

Start with Paix or Libertès - IF you can find them.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Very interresting box set even if there is no bonus stuff.

"Catherine Ribeiro + 2 Bis" was never on CD before

Not really sure about those two but I think they weren't on CD either before

Catherine Ribeiro + Alpes - Le Temps de l'Autre.
    Catherine Ribeiro + Alpes - Passions.

Catherine Ribeiro + Alpes - No. 2. was only on CD as part of a 4 CD box set some years ago (2012?)

Incredible and very French stuff!

Catherine is alongside Mama Bea Tekielski and Brigitte Fontaine something like the voice of French "Rock".
    Highly recommended.

I hope there will be some box like this for Mama Bea sometimes.

mmmhhh!!!... this sounds interesting enough, if only for 2Bis and Alpes N°2, never really released previously in CD before (I think N°2 was available in a previous boxset). Indeed , Temps and Passions have not been on CD format either

I'm a little amazed they wouldn't have a booklet for this boxset, and hopefully, they'll have at least the album sleeves.
    Another thing they could have (for non-french speakers) is Catherine's lyrics written down, though Alpes is sooooo wordy, their lyrics could fill a phone book
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

The absence of booklet may be due to practical reasons. But also possibly for ideological motives. Catherine Ribeiro has recently said : "La maison de disques [Philips] m’a imposé la mention "Les textes de ces chansons n’engagent que leur auteur" sur les pochettes de Paix et Ame debout. C’est terrible de m’avoir fait ce coup-là." (http://next.liberation.fr/musique/20...ionaria_880521)

edit : there is a booklet with pictures, but not the lyrics.
    Last edited by unclemeat; 09-24-2015 at 03:37 PM.

^

That's NOT good!
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

One of my favorite french female singers, with the already mentioned Mama Bea, Brigitte Fontaine and Colette Magny.

For starters, "Paix" is an absolute must!
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by unclemeat View Post
    "La maison de disques [Philips] m’a imposé la mention "Les textes de ces chansons n’engagent que leur auteur" sur les pochettes de Paix et Ame debout.
    Long live the majors!
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

The absence of booklet may be due to practical reasons. But also possibly for ideological motives. Catherine Ribeiro has recently said : "La maison de disques [Philips] m’a imposé la mention "Les textes de ces chansons n’engagent que leur auteur" sur les pochettes de Paix et Ame debout. C’est terrible de m’avoir fait ce coup-là." (http://next.liberation.fr/musique/20...ionaria_880521)

yup, and that was in the 70's, when free speach was still free

In the politically correct days of now, there is even less possibilities of that happening...
    I can imagine she'd get fatwahs declared on her from christians and conservateurs.

But what's to stop her from writing them down and publishing them on her site (provided she's got one)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Hm, a bit annoying this. As mentioned by TheH, they released four of these in a box only a few years ago. I, like many other fans I'm sure, jumped at the chance to have some Catherine Ribeiro on CD (the earlier Mantra releases are long OOP). And now they suddenly decide to release all the albums in a box and I'll have to buy most of them a second time. Still, three of the albums never appeared on CD before, so if the price is right I'll get it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by helicase View Post
    Hm, a bit annoying this. As mentioned by TheH, they released four of these in a box only a few years ago. I, like many other fans I'm sure, jumped at the chance to have some Catherine Ribeiro on CD (the earlier Mantra releases are long OOP). And now they suddenly decide to release all the albums in a box and I'll have to buy most of them a second time. Still, three of the albums never appeared on CD before, so if the price is right I'll get it anyway.
    I have the same Problem, got that 4 CD box back than.

Amazon France charges 30,42 EUR so it's 3,38 EUR per CD or 6,08 EUR per CD for the 5 ones it don't have.
    Not to bad.

I only have the Libertes? compilation from 2004, so this certainly sounds worth the investment. Ribeiro has some really interesting songs, even among her more conventional 1980s pop material. Pity about the lyrics, though. My French is so rudimentary that I can generally get only a hazy estimate of what each song is about without a lyric sheet to guide me. There are a few sharp turns of phrases on those few text I've deciphered.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    I hope there will be some box like this for Mama Bea sometimes.
    Me too. I take it none of her 70s material has been issued in (legitimate) digital format? The stuff I've heard from Le Chaos and Pour un bébe robot sounds really interesting, but availability is poor.

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Me too. I take it none of her 70s material has been issued in (legitimate) digital format? The stuff I've heard from Le Chaos and Pour un bébe robot sounds really interesting, but availability is poor.
    I think their might be some on CD released by herself. They might be CDr's though.

Only source I know : http://www.mamabea.fr/boutique.html

This site maybe not up to date. It looks like you have to order by (physical) mail....

Thanks, I've seen this before. Agreed, the site looks very early 2000s, and it also seems to suggest that they only deliver within France.

Just pre-ordered it from amazon.ca. The price, $37.50 for the entire box is ludicrous, especially since I do not have the previously released 4 CD box nor the OOP Mantra releases.

Paix is superb indeed and features Patrice Lemoin a later member of 'Shamal' Gong, the others are good too "libertes" especially but i find them a bit repetative over the same formula: strong dramatic female voice backed by etheral beautiful music. Ribeiro started as an acteress which adds further drama to her performance.

Quote Originally Posted by zutul View Post
    Ribeiro started as an acteress which adds further drama to her performance.
    Indeed, and before that - again like Nico - she worked (albeit rather briefly) as a model. It always fascinates me how people who are blessed with such a particularly inviting physical exterior still find their way into "fringe" artistics, but truth be said I know several such individuals myself. Of course, Ribeiro HAS become renowned for her charismatic performances, so there's little to figure beyond that and the voice.

ribeirocatherine.jpg

Catherine_Ribeiro_Les_Carabiniers_Jean-Luc_Godard_film_photo_Raoul_Coutard.jpg

She certainly deserves a more classy and informative box but at that price it's a real bargain which can't be missed. All her best material (with Alpes) is included in the boxset, some of them never reissued on CD before. I Hope that MAMA BEA (Tekielsky) will receive a similar treatment soon as her early recordings are unobtainable (or never issued) on CD.

I received it today.

Can someone post regarding the sound quality, and how it compares to the Mantra CDs?

All these recordings sound great (and have all probably been remastered in 2004, when the 4CD Libertés ? compilation was produced).
    NB : I don't have the Mantra versions.

All these recordings sound great (and have all probably been remastered in 2004, when the 4CD Libertés ? compilation was produced).
    NB : I don't have the Mantra versions.
    Do you hear any compression, and are they loud?

Nothing that strikes me as 'abnormal'.
    Well, the music, maybe.

Nothing that strikes me as 'abnormal'.
    Well, the music, maybe.
    Ha! That's for sure. Thanks.