Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Catherine Ribeiro & Alpes

Remember her ?

Last edited by unclemeat; 01-29-2022 at 06:02 AM.

Classic french musical insurrection of the times

Too bad she veered totally pop during the 80's.

Not much idea what she's done since, but I believe she +/- got better again the 90's.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I think Béatrice Tekielski is almost as powerful a vocalist as Ribeiro, but her material is less distinctive. Ribeiro’s work with Alpes had some really avant-garde instrumental work to compelement her paroxysms. Tekielski has a more conventional, though at best quite inventive, rock group sound for accompaniment and the focus is more heavily on the lyrics as poetry. It does diminish the impact to me, as I am for the large part Francodeaf. At least I am when she is screaming the lyrics as if she were being eviscerated and using echo to create rhythmic effects (”Poussieres”, for example).

But yes, she can be magnificent. ”Le Chaos” is gripping both musically and lyrically, ”Ballade pour un bebe-robot” is a great progressive chanson, and something like ”Les pissenlits” is just brutal in its emotional delivery.

Alpes tribute band