Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Gong - Radio Gnome Trilogy Remastered

Quote Originally Posted by nsmith1002 View Post
    I too intend to use PayPal but I've always been under that assumption that one should never hit the back button when ordering online. I replied to the confirmation email to let them know that I neglected to indicate PayPal but have not received a reply. I just hope they are not expecting me to send them an actual money order!

Perhaps I should try to email Johnny as mentioned in other posts but I don't have his email address.
    If anyone could help I'd much appreciate it!

I see now that Burning Shed now has this up for pre-order and they are my usual source for things like this but I thought I would give the Gong organization my full support.
    bazaar@planetgong.co.uk

I received a prompt and reassuring reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazcrim View Post
    Looks like the whole Gong Trilogy is being remastered as per the Camembert Electrique reissue of last year. Flying Teapot at last properly issued on CD? Surely that is something to be excited about!

http://hifipig.com/gongs-radio-gnome...vip-treatment/
    So this is useless now?
    (Steve Hillage also said nobody was involved with those masters and package)

Cause yesterday I saw this in a record shop and I was tempted to buy it. Fortunately reading here now helped me to understand that I did good to pass. I'll wait for the big proper box!

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    bazaar@planetgong.co.uk

I received a prompt and reassuring reply.
    Thanks much for that.

But that address is what I used and have not gotten a reply yet.

I'm thinking that they are perhaps overwhelmed with a lot of orders.

I'll resend and see what happens.
    Last edited by nsmith1002; 08-09-2019 at 06:28 AM.

I pre-ordered yesterday and didn't get any confirmation so I just e mailed Jonny and he got back to me within five minutes to say that he has my order and will get back to me soon. That's what I call good customer service

I sent another email this morning before I left for work and just now got back home to find a reply from Jonny, so I'm all set now!

Great Docu on Here & Now (Planet Gong) running now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsg8...es&app=desktop
    Last edited by TheH; 08-15-2019 at 02:37 PM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Has anyone who ordered with PayPal got a PayPal invoice yet? Or whatever they send.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Great Docu on Here & Now (Planet Gong) running now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsg8...es&app=desktop
    That brought back a lot of memories of some great gigs. Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    I just attempted this but didn't complete as for some reason they wanted to add almost £20 in sales tax to the order....that's a lot for a poster......🤨
    Unusually for us North Americans, in Europe prices usually include VAT (taxes), and sites like Amazon UK/UK/FR/DE and (thankfully) even indie sites like Burning Shed remove the tax if you're ordering outside the UK.

But this is the second box I've bought in the past year (the Family BBC box was the other, if I remember correctly) from the UK where the VAT was not included in the list price, so I've had to pay full sticker price...but that then means you UK-based folks get charged extra for the VAT....or, if living in the EU and ordering from an EU country, same deal.

Which means you're not paying £20 for the poster...but it is a bleedin' confusing thing to do the exact opposite of that with which most experienced online shoppers are familiar.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Has anyone who ordered with PayPal got a PayPal invoice yet? Or whatever they send.
    Not yet, no.....

[QUOTE=lovecraft;921320]Not yet, no.....[/QUOTE

But release date is not till end of Sept right? Will it come a little earlier from Planet Gong?]

Quote Originally Posted by Munster View Post
    The GAS website has adjusted its pricing and now you can buy the box set plus the poster for a fraction under £94 after tax has been added on (that's if you are receiving it in the UK - I don't know what postage costs elsewhere). That looks like a good deal as Amazon have it up for £96 without the poster. There is a small sample of two tracks there, too. They sound damn fine. Incidentally, there is another thread on this that has just been started.
    Amazon is £117 today so definitely worth ordering from GAS even if price is main concern.

Got it today!
    Remastering very good!
    And a joy to hear the original vinyl mix of Flying teapot!
    Very happy with the box set

Quote Originally Posted by olivetti View Post
    Got it today!
    Remastering very good!
    And a joy to hear the original vinyl mix of Flying teapot!
    Very happy with the box set
    Where on Earth are you?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Where on Earth are you?
    Sweden!

Spoiler alert! If the wait– apart from those in Sweden! – for the Gong box set is too much, surprisingly Universal have put all tracks, in full, up on YouTube. The few quick samples I have played tell me it is going to be an amazing box set. Quite why Universal have done this, when it has just been released, is beyond me. But there it is.

^ Looks like it, or most of it, is on the Spotify too.

The ‘Love from the Planet Gong’ box set will clear up one persistent ‘conspiracy theory’ surrounding the track Flying Teapot on the first album in the trilogy. The theory is that the Charly CD release of this track was different from the track on the original Virgin vinyl album. It was all to do with length/timing; one version was longer than the other and this led to claims that the Charly version had been doctored in some way (always denied by Daevid Allen). I suspected it was all to do with where the vinyl version of the track was judged to have started and finished (impossible to determine accurately), whereas the Charly CD gave a very precise track timing at 11 mins 56 secs. I see the ‘official’ version on ‘Love from the Planet Gong’ is 11.53. Three seconds is neither here nor there. They have always been the same version.

The Charly CD used a provisional mix (an excerpt of which is included after the album, of the song Radio Gnome Invisible). The way the sax sounds is a giveaway - quite different on the finished, approve mix. Somehow Charly got hold of a copy of that mix, but none of the previous reissued had used the actual vinyl mix from 1973.

^^Thanks Calyx, that HAS cleared the theory up, but not in the way I thought. It is good to have an excerpt of the alternative mix on the box set.

Quote Originally Posted by Munster View Post
    Spoiler alert! If the wait– apart from those in Sweden! – for the Gong box set is too much, surprisingly Universal have put all tracks, in full, up on YouTube. The few quick samples I have played tell me it is going to be an amazing box set. Quite why Universal have done this, when it has just been released, is beyond me. But there it is.
    Link? I've found one that says 2015 remastered..

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Link? I've found one that says 2015 remastered..
    https://youtu.be/ZVlpeSeg_0Y

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Bought
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    ^ ditto
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Mine has arrived. Very nice package, going to take a while to get through all of it. For some reason I couldn't rip the two bonus tracks off "You", so I'll have to check the CD in a CD player (antique dedicated media playback device from the 90s).

EDIT: Plays fine, computer CD reader must be going.
    Last edited by smcfee; 09-30-2019 at 06:44 PM.