Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ghost - Meliora

Ghost - Meliora

Curious what you folks think. I Loved their first album, but the second was a disappointment. This one is really working for me! I love the blend of metal and melody...very Blue Oyster Cult and for me that's a great thing. Good production, great riffs, the usual somewhat corny, but fun satanic lyrics...I'm really enjoying this one.

"Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I agree with you. I really like this album .
    Here is another song from it

http://youtu.be/DEwk1ZEnBWE

Not a band that floats my boat. Saw them live and disliked them from moment one. The gimmick doesn't work for me and neither does the music.

I was bored. It happens.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Atrocious pop disguised as B.O.C. influenced "satanic" metal.

Boo-ha-ha!

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Saw them live and disliked them from moment one.
    I had the same unhappy experience, few months before they released their second album.

To show some fairness though. Their debut has its moments. When they do not try so hard to copy Mercyful Fate.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Tough crowd! This band definitely does it for me though and this new album is strong. I can understand the gimmick not working for everyone as that's going to happen, but I think it's fun.

Interesting to hear the live comments because I've heard from many that they put on a good show. If they come around, I'll definitely snatch up some tickets!

North American tour with Purson!!! Oh yeah. Count me in.
    The Prog Corner

Old man of prog
    The last record was good but this record is spectacular. Melodic, well sung and played, and an awesome Andy Wallace mix. My favorite non-prog album of the year so far.

Ghost is a great guilty pleasure for me. I think the new album combines some of the heavier bits of the debut with the pop sensibility of Infentessiumum (or however you spell it). I'm convinced Ghost is a pure pop band in disguise. Didn't they even cover Abba on their EP from a couple years ago? I've heard others mention Mercyful Fate/King Diamond, but other than the "scary" image, I hear no resemblance whatsoever. To me, they sound like mid to late 70s BOC...I like how they weave a touch of prog here and there as well. True stoner/occult rock fans hate them though!

Great live band! It's kitsch, but it's good kitsch!
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

I held off on accepting this band at first due to the whole gimmick thing, but man, they have the musical skills and songwriting to back it all up. New album is amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by sotdude View Post
    I held off on accepting this band at first due to the whole gimmick thing, but man, they have the musical skills and songwriting to back it all up. New album is amazing!
    I agree 100% with this statement

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    I'm convinced Ghost is a pure pop band in disguise.
    Exactly.

Didn't they even cover Abba on their EP from a couple years ago?
    Yes "I'm a Marionette". And Roky Erickson, Depeche Mode & Army of Lovers in the same disk.

I've heard others mention Mercyful Fate/King Diamond, but other than the "scary" image, I hear no resemblance whatsoever.
    Indeed, they haven't with their lighter style they followed on "Infestissumam" and forward. But on their heavier debut they had quite a lot of riffs and mood swings, lifted directly from that classic danish band.

To me, they sound like mid to late 70s BOC...
    Without their compositional skills.

True stoner/occult rock fans hate them though!
    Abysmally.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I'll take stuff like this over that way too long, repetitive, boring sludge that is a lot of stoner rock I've heard...any day of the week.

I think they're great.. nothing wrong with the pop aspect from my standpoint. Great hooks.

New one has not sunk in yet but sounds promising. First two + EP are great. I thought the Roky Erickson cover on the EP was an excellent poppy re-imagining of the unhinged (but classic) original.

I was kind of dismissive of this, I listened to it a few times on YT. I tried it again a couple days ago and the sucker clicked. Now I have to order the deluxe edition so I get Squarehammer on the bonus disc!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I saw them open for Maiden a little over a month ago and they really clicked. Now i wish i would have seen them with Purson when i had the chance. I highly recommend seeing these guys live if you haven't.

Their cover of Roky Erickson's "If You Have Ghosts" is stellar.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I was kind of dismissive of this, I listened to it a few times on YT. I tried it again a couple days ago and the sucker clicked. Now I have to order the deluxe edition so I get Squarehammer on the bonus disc!
    I have become a huge Ghost fan. There is just something about the music that clicks with me too. "Squarehammer" is one of the best singles released in the past decade IMO. They were great opening for Maiden earlier in the summer, but much better as a headliner when I saw them last year with their full show.

I really like Ghost. Saw them in Minneapolis last year. They sounded great. If I were to pick on anything, they almost sound too good. Like what a Broadway performance of metal.
    Meliora is a pretty good record all the way through, and the 2 EPs are pretty good. Will probably pick up the rest one day.

What Steve said.

Old man of prog
    They are great. Remind me of a modern Blue Oyster Cult.

BOC mixed with Type O Negative perhaps?

Saw them open for Maiden. Decently melodic, but the Satanic BS is not appreciated.

I hear a bit of Klaus Meine in the vocals
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Banned
    I just heard this band, Majesty and Absolution off of Meloria. They use classic distortion which is beautiful analog and the vocals are great. Great recording and drums. Friend said their concert sound is a step above most bands.