Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Keith Richards says Black Sabbath are a 'great joke'!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Keith Richards says Black Sabbath are a 'great joke'!

Rolling Stone Richards slams rock music as “dull thud” - and berates guitarists who “can’t shut up”
    Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards says most rock bands sound like a “dull thud” – and he’s added that Metallica and Black Sabbath are nothing more than “great jokes.”

His comments come after he described the Beatles’ 1967 album Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band as “a mishmash of rubbish,” and that the Stones' Their Satanic Majesties Request, released the same year, was just as bad.

Richards tells the New York Daily News: “It sounds like a dull thud to me – for most bands, getting the syncopation is beyond them. It’s endless thudding away, with no bounce, no lift.

“Millions are in love with Metallica and Black Sabbath – I just thought they were great jokes.”

He goes on to describe rap music as evidence that “there’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.”

And he believes the secret to making good music is to “find the spaces” between band members. “That’s the problem with most guitar players – they can’t shut up. They’re playing fantastic stuff, but if you don’t give it some room, you’re not going to appreciate it.”

Richards, who releases solo album Crosseyed Heart on September 18, adds: “If you’re in a band, you have to sublimate yourself to each other. What’s the point of being in a band if you want to be numero uno?

“It’s got nothing to do with flash, and all to do with keeping the pulse going.”

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Does Keith still have a pulse?
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Yeah, but BS was a heavy band that did have the syncopation. So bite me, Keith.

Suspended
    I'm not a fan of Black Sabbath either, and I share his opinion of (most) rap, but just sayin', Keith, there are many people who consider the Rolling Stones "one great joke". Pots and kettles, stones and glass houses, and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I'm not a fan of Black Sabbath either, and I share his opinion of (most) rap, but just sayin', Keith, there are many people who consider the Rolling Stones "one great joke".
    There are? (other than people who dismiss all of rock music as a joke).

I'm not a fan of Black Sabbath either, and I share his opinion of (most) rap, but just sayin', Keith, there are many people who consider the Rolling Stones "one great joke". Pots and kettles, stones and glass houses, and all that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post

................ there are certainly a lot of other bands I personally thought were more deserving of the iconic status level the Stones seem to enjoy

Like I said before, it's a mystery to me why some in the media cling to his every word as if it were of seismic importance, rather than what such comments really are- merely reflecting someone who is extremely set in their ways.

Yes, there is a considerable anti-Stones contingent on here, which is a shame.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Yes, there is a considerable anti-Stones contingent on here, which is a shame.
    If you gave me the choice whether to attend a Black Sabbath concert, a Metallica concert, or a Rolling Stones concert, I would unhesitatingly choose the Stones. I do think though that they have squandered their legacy as regards studio albums, and their chief appeal for me now would be as a live act. (Well, sort of - only just.)

If you gave me the choice whether to attend a Black Sabbath concert, a Metallica concert, or a Rolling Stones concert...
    ...I'd probably stay home and read a book.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Well,for me, everything outside Beggar's Banquet through Exile on Main Street is not particularly good. The early stuff I can excuse as being how they got to the Bb-EoMS period...but after? not crazy about much of it at all. After EoMS they became an arena act with little in the way of classic new material. And few other bands lost their way as the RS did. Their failed art-rock of Satanic Majesties? The disco of "Miss You"? The mediocrity of most post-70s stuff?

Nope, gimme BB through Exile any day.....

The Stones have been stuck in a time warp for the past 50 years +

Why do we need two threads on this, Rufus?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus
    He goes on to describe rap music as evidence that “there’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.”
    He should know. The Stones have been serving that market for 40 years.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith
    Rap is amelodic by nature. It is people talking to a beat. It's all right for those who like that kind of thing, but it has never been about notes.

“Millions are in love with Metallica and Black Sabbath – I just thought they were great jokes.”
    Why? Because they sold more records than the Stones?

Richards tells the New York Daily News: “It sounds like a dull thud to me – for most bands, getting the syncopation is beyond them. It’s endless thudding away, with no bounce, no lift.
    Is it possible after several decades of loud concerts, that Keith is simply losing his hearing? He does have a point though, even if his words may fail to convey it: few bands nowadays can swing.

“If you’re in a band, you have to sublimate yourself to each other."
    sublimate?

Quote Originally Posted by klothos
    there are certainly a lot of other bands I personally thought were more deserving of the iconic status level the Stones seem to enjoy
    Doesn't sound like Keith is enjoying it much. I did enjoy Keith's autobiography. Maybe he was just having a bad day when he said all this stuff.
    Frog in boiling water

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I did enjoy Keith's autobiography. Maybe he was just having a bad day when he said all this stuff.
    Keith didn't write that. His ghostwriter taped four years of off-the-cuff interviews and assembled it from those.

So maybe it's possible that Keith was "just having four bad years" when he said that.

Like I said before, it's a mystery to me why some in the media cling to his every word as if it were of seismic importance, rather than what such comments really are- merely reflecting someone who is extremely set in their ways.
    Indeed, but he's promoting a new album and always makes good click bait with quotes like this. For a more nuanced conversation and wider taste in music you need to move onto Mick or Charlie.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

For frell's sake! Look he's Keith Richards! He can say whatever he wants!

And count me amongst those who would rather see The Stones in concert over Metallica or Black Sabbath. Now, if a certain blue police call box was available, that might make it more complicated, as I think it might have been cool to see Sabbath back in the 70's or to see Metallica before the bus accident, but I think I'd still choose the Stones. Just so long it's not Altamont we're going to.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    For frell's sake! Look he's Keith Richards! He can say whatever he wants!

And count me amongst those who would rather see The Stones in concert over Metallica or Black Sabbath. Now, if a certain blue police call box was available, that might make it more complicated, as I think it might have been cool to see Sabbath back in the 70's or to see Metallica before the bus accident, but I think I'd still choose the Stones. Just so long it's not Altamont we're going to.
    I saw both the Stones and Sabbath in the 70's. The Stones were by far a better live act. Never had any interest whatsoever in Mettalica.

People dig what they dig, and that's as it should be, but I'm with Keef.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

every time Keith releases something he always talks out of his ass for free publicity.

But Keef is a fan of AC/DC. Any friend of AC/DC is a friend o mine.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    But Keef is a fan of AC/DC. Any friend of AC/DC is a friend o mine.
    I find that transitivity doesn't work in music matters. It's often happened that I read an interview with one of my favourite musicians, and they list the musicians who they listen to and who influenced them, and I think "He listens to that crap?"

I find that transitivity doesn't work in music matters. It's often happened that I read an interview with one of my favourite musicians, and they list the musicians who they listen to and who influenced them, and I think "He listens to that crap?"
    I remember reading an interview with John McLaughlin several years ago where he mentions how much he likes The Eagles (the band, not the football team), and I immediately let out a loud guffaw because I couldn't help thinking of all the PE members now on suicide watch after hearing that Johnny Mac, the God of fusion, liked The Eagles.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I remember reading an interview with John McLaughlin several years ago where he mentions how much he likes The Eagles (the band, not the football team), and I immediately let out a loud guffaw because I couldn't help thinking of all the PE members now on suicide watch after hearing that Johnny Mac, the God of fusion, liked The Eagles.
    Not surprising at all, I would imagine *most* musicians are actually quite open-minded. Also in the jazz area, I listened to a radio interview with Pat Metheny about his career and he stated one of his favourite vocalists was Karen Carpenter. As a fan of both, that was nice.

Keith likes what he likes, which is fine, but I don't think his sweeping dismissals should ever be taken seriously.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Last good Stones album, Carter was president
    Last good Sabbath album, Obama was president