Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shorter, Hancock, Mclaughlin to form new fusion group

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    And they were both in Santana for a short time around 1984.
    That must've been confusing for everybody. "Hey Chester! No, not you, I'm talking to Chester Thompson! You're Chester Thompson too? Okay, I'm talking to Chester Thompson ONE!"
    Last edited by No Pride; 08-30-2015 at 01:09 PM.

Suspended
    And they were both in Santana for a short time around 1984.
    That's weird. Are there any other examples of two people with the same name playing in the same band? Have the Dave Stewarts ever collaborated?

I do recall that there were three unrelated guys with the surname Taylor playing with Duran Duran.
    Last edited by bob_32_116; 08-30-2015 at 01:26 PM.

Two different guys named Bob Harris were in Frank Zappa's band at different times.

Bill Evans - Sax
    Bill Evans - Piano
    Probably more with that name

Suspended
    It's probably about time this theme had its own thread...

For a long time I was under the mistaken impression that the Patty Smyth featured on "The Warrior" by Scandal was the same person as the Patti Smith of "Because the Night" fame.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Bill Evans - Sax
    Bill Evans - Piano
    Probably more with that name
    As well as two musicians named Tony Levin
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Suspended
    How could I forget the two Paul Youngs?

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    How could I forget the two Paul Youngs?
    And two Jim McCartys (in the Yardbirds and Cactus).

re: Bob Harris -
    Were they ever on The Old Grey Whislte Test?

To bring it back to Wayne Shorter, he had the jazz guitarist David Gilmore in his group in the 90's and took the trouble to mention in interviews that he was not "the guy from Pink Floyd."

To bring it back to Wayne Shorter, he had the jazz guitarist David Gilmore in his group in the 90's and took the trouble to mention in interviews that he was not "the guy from Pink Floyd."
    And then there's THIS guy, Matthew Stevens, and up and coming great young jazz player, who shares a name with a poster here who plays prog.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    That must've been confusing for everybody. "Hey Chester! No, not you, I'm talking to Chester Thompson! You're Chester Thompson too? Okay, I'm talking to Chester Thompson ONE!"
    Chester! With the big organ! Er...

Can we get back to complaining about Carlos being out of his league, please?

The two Chesters have apparently talked about doing a project together at some point (probably half jokingly). They're both great talents. Santana's work dropped off a cliff when Chester the keyboardist left his band, IMHO.

In some ways, this new project would merely be adding McLaughlin to the Swing of Delight lineup.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    The two Chesters have apparently talked about doing a project together at some point (probably half jokingly). They're both great talents.
    They could call themselves The Thompson Twins!

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    They could call themselves The Thompson Twins!
    Which reminds me of a story I heard (getting way off track here, sorry):

Tenor saxophonist Dick Oatts and guitarist Jim Hall had a jazz duo gig going in NYC. When Dick told Jim that they should call themselves "Hall and Oatts," he got a blank stare from Jim, who had such a case of jazz tunnel-vision that he'd never heard of Hall and Oates.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    The two Chesters have apparently talked about doing a project together at some point (probably half jokingly).
    They'd probably just get into a big fight over who gets top billing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    They'd probably just get into a big fight over who gets top billing.
    As long as they're above "Puppet Show."
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Which reminds me of a story I heard (getting way off track here, sorry):

Tenor saxophonist Dick Oatts and guitarist Jim Hall had a jazz duo gig going in NYC. When Dick told Jim that they should call themselves "Hall and Oatts," he got a blank stare from Jim, who had such a case of jazz tunnel-vision that he'd never heard of Hall and Oates.
    Yikes!

That's pretty funny. And I like Hall & Oates quite a lot actually, but it's (for some reason) surprising to find that there are people who have never heard of them.

There's Avishai Cohen the trumpeter, and Avishai Cohen the bassist. Wonder if they've played together?

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    There's Avishai Cohen the trumpeter, and Avishai Cohen the bassist. Wonder if they've played together?
    Like, naked in a hot tub?

Another potential collaboration: Peter Wolf (J. Geils vocalist) and Peter Wolf (Zappa keyboardist and Starship/Chicago producer).

And to try to get closer to topic...I see Santana is playing a tune live titled "Freedom In Your Mind" that is reportedly to be on the Santana IV reunion album with Schon, Rolie, Shrieve and Carabello.

How do you musically carry a jockstrap? Not that I want to learn.

But that was cold. While I agree that he's not in the same league as those guys, Carlos has his place in the musical universe. And at least he's hip enough to recognize the extreme talents of those guys and want to work with them. Hell, if I could afford to hire Herbie and Wayne to play on my album, I would. I'd even learn to musically carry their jockstraps if that was part of the deal.
    Yeah, the fact that they have mutual respect for each other and their talents should be a clue. Carlos is very talented. His style and personal musical take are different from theirs but i definitely wouldn't write him off as a mediocre talent. That and he's a humble, spiritful and apparently decent human being. Clearly a man with taste who CAN call on his good friends Wayne, Herbie and John to join him. I'd be interested in any musical endeavour those 3 partake in, personally. And carry their jock straps, if necessary
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

McLaughlin with Hancock and Shorter could be interesting as I don't think they have collaborated much since early 70's Miles, although they were all involved with the movie Round Midnight in the 80's.
    Keep in mind that Santana and Shorter toured together and fronted a band which played, among other places, at the Montreux Jazz Festivall, i believe...

There is plenty of smokin' playing here, imho. Santana may not be John McLaughlin but i suspect he plays guitar at least as well as anyone here on this board... just sayin'

And this band was a hot one... Patrice Rushen, Alphonso Johnson, Leon Chancler.... ouch.

K
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...