Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi-res music of interest (prog or otherwsie)

Hi-res music of interest (prog or otherwsie)

Greetings,

I recently bought a FiiO X1 portable hi-res/lossless player, primarily for the purpose of having mobile hi-res demo capabilities for our new Advent album, Silent Sentinel (beautifully mastered in 2496 form by Bob Katz, by the way). However, it was also great to be able to load up the three other hi-res albums I already had and also recently made my first purchase of a new album in this format exclusively (District 97's In Vaults). So, as of now, my X1 library consists of (in alphabetical/chronological order):

1. ADVENT - Silent Sentinel
    2. DISTRICT 97 - In Vaults
    3. ECHOLYN - echolyn (2012)
    4. ECHOLYN - I Heard You Listening
    5. THE TEA CLUB - Quickly Quickly Quickly

Having this great new device that makes all these albums sound wonderful, I'm now champing at the bit to find more hi-res music to add, but haven't been able to find much more of interest based strictly on Internet searches and major hi-res music vendors. With that in mind, I'm hoping that some of the other knowledgeable folks here on PE can recommend additional resources to find more good hi-res album content--or even direct links to albums available in this format that they'd recommend, prog or otherwise.

Thanks and take care,

Alan

If you're into classical, the album La Voie Triomphale sounds absolutely fantastic in hi-res. I actually bought the 24/96 version, but it's available in several resolutions.

http://www.hdtracks.com/la-voie-triomphale-166157

Hi Chad,

Thanks for the link. I'd stumbled across this one a while back, but didn't have a chance to go back and follow all the links there to see what I could find. (I did poke around HDtracks a bit, though, and downloaded their free sampler as well, but didn't really find anything too compelling thus far.) Look forward to digging in as soon as time permits.

All the best,

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by AZProgger View Post
    If you're into classical, the album La Voie Triomphale sounds absolutely fantastic in hi-res. I actually bought the 24/96 version, but it's available in several resolutions.

http://www.hdtracks.com/la-voie-triomphale-166157
    Appreciate the recommendation. I love some classical music for sure, but am not familiar with the content on this album--nor intimately with the composers included for the most part. Will have to check out the music, though.

Thanks and take care,

Alan

Spock's Beard's new album drops in 2 days. Brief Nocturnes is available in 24/96 hi-res, hopefully The Oblivion Particle will be as well.

Of course there is Neil Young's creation HI RES music effort PONO:

http://https://www.ponomusic.com

Tons of music, some in HI REZ, some in CD quality. But good that everything is at least 44.1/16...

Jim

All of Wilson`s DVDs usually have a hi-rez stereo version, you can rip it into flac.

Yes, on the Wilson DVDs and other Surround Mix efforts:

I have ripped my Wilson YES, King Crimson, Gentle Giant and Tull DVD A's to FLAC as well as the Genesis remixes. I use a dedicated LAPTOP with JRiver's Media Center (FLAC player) feeding into my listening room's stereo system all digital (the DAC is in my Power Amp, NAD 356EEE DAC. The stuff sounds GREAT loud.

I also have purchased some of the HD Tracks catalog on hi res FLAC and only if I could find a way to RIP my SACD collection to flac? My HI RES music library is starting to become more a reality rather than a novelty for music listening.

Jim

PS - "The Inner Mounting Flame" recent release is quite good in hi res. As is Steve Hackett's GR II and Wolflight (both available at hackettsongs.com), the PONO site link above has almost all of the Neil Young catalog in Hi Res not available on HD TRACKS. Also, at PONO if you buy the highest res LP you will get an upgrade to the higher res version when and if it is released (HDTRACKS makes you purchase each res format with no free upgrade). Also, the PONO HI RES library has more ROCK titles available than HD TRACKS.

Quote Originally Posted by jkleban View Post
    I also have purchased some of the HD Tracks catalog on hi res FLAC and only if I could find a way to RIP my SACD collection to flac? My HI RES music library is starting to become more a reality rather than a novelty for music listening.

Jim
    I am in the process of ripping my SACD collection, but to surround DTS so I could play it in the car.
    Basically it is even much easier to rip to stereo - but you need to have a PS3 with SACD capabilities + firmware not above 3.55, so this is the complicated part

I picked up a few Synergy titles from HDtracks.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Yes, on the Wilson DVDs and other Surround Mix efforts:

I have ripped my Wilson YES, King Crimson, Gentle Giant and Tull DVD A's to FLAC as well as the Genesis remixes. I use a dedicated LAPTOP with JRiver's Media Center (FLAC player) feeding into my listening room's stereo system all digital (the DAC is in my Power Amp, NAD 356EEE DAC. The stuff sounds GREAT loud.

What tools and approach do you use to rip the DVD A's to hi res flac?

Jim

PS - "The Inner Mounting Flame" recent release is quite good in hi res. As is Steve Hackett's GR II and Wolflight (both available at hackettsongs.com), the PONO site link above has almost all of the Neil Young catalog in Hi Res not available on HD TRACKS. Also, at PONO if you buy the highest res LP you will get an upgrade to the higher res version when and if it is released (HDTRACKS makes you purchase each res format with no free upgrade). Also, the PONO HI RES library has more ROCK titles available than HD TRACKS.
    What tools and approach do you use to rip the DVD A's to hi res flacs?

Dvd Audio Extractor works great. Simple to use.

http://www.dvdae.com

You can also rip Blu-ray to FLAC using MakeMKV and DVD Audio Extractor. I've also used DVD Audio Extractor to create 5.1 FLACs as well.

Ripping SACD has multiple problems. The first being that there aren't any PC drives that will even read them (as far as I'm aware). The second being that they aren't PCM encoded (they are DSD) so it would have to go through a conversion process to be encoded to FLAC which would partially defeat the advantage of SACD.

Quote Originally Posted by PixelDelirium View Post
    Ripping SACD has multiple problems. The first being that there aren't any PC drives that will even read them (as far as I'm aware). The second being that they aren't PCM encoded (they are DSD) so it would have to go through a conversion process to be encoded to FLAC which would partially defeat the advantage of SACD.
    This is true on both points, the only ripping tool I know of is the PS3 early models.
    Re DSD- there are some hi-rez mobile players and dacs that do decode DSD natively, but these are not common-
    This is why I only rip surround SACDs and to DTS which is anyway lossy...

Interesting... are you saying that DVD-AE can now do BLU RAY too? And, I was hoping that somewhere a new way to extract hi res from SACD's might be hiding in the weeds.... like an SACD player that could output in digital?

I can dream, can't I?

Jim

Interesting... are you saying that DVD-AE can now do BLU RAY too? And, I was hoping that somewhere a new way to extract hi res from SACD's might be hiding in the weeds.... like an SACD player that could output in digital?

I can dream, can't I?

Jim
    I've had certain blu-ray titles that I was able to rip with DVD Audio Extractor. Not all...

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    I've had certain blu-ray titles that I was able to rip with DVD Audio Extractor. Not all...
    This is why I use MakeMKV to do the first pass "backup" and then rip the audio with DVD Audio Extractor. I seem to remember having issues with the latest Steven Wilson album and Yes Relayer trying it directly with DVD Audio Extractor. I haven't found any Blu-rays I couldn't do with MakeMKV > DVD Audio Extractor.

As far as SACD, I have an Oppo player that will play SACD that has an optical output and I see no reason it couldn't be captured by a sound card that has an optical in. It wouldn't support 5.1 at full resolution though (well, it's DSD audio so I'm not even sure how that translates to PCM bit rates). I only have 3 SACD discs anyway so I really haven't put all that much effort into it (although I wouldn't mind having my RPWL "World Through My Eyes" SACD readily playable).

Sticking my head in to bookmark the thread. Carry on.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Thanks for the suggestion. Worked like a charm!

If you want to hear more of Bob's recent work you need to grab Breaking Of The World by Glass Hammer in hi-res

What type of disc unit is required for ripping DVD-A HiRez Stereo to FLAC? I'm trying to wrap my head around how these tracks are even accessed outside of straight playback from my Oppo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    What type of disc unit is required for ripping DVD-A HiRez Stereo to FLAC? I'm trying to wrap my head around how these tracks are even accessed outside of straight playback from my Oppo.
    Actually, DVDA should be readable on any regular DVD player, as opposed to SACD which uses a completely different wavelength for the laser.
    It is the data itself that is different on DVDA, and that should be dealt with any dedicated software (like DVDAE, or VLC/ Foobar just for playback)

https://bigbigtrain.bandcamp.com/alb...r-24-bit-audio

Big Big Train's (rightly) celebrated English Electric Full Power for under $11.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Any DVD or Blu-ray computer drive.