Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saw Aerosmith & Living Colour Last Night

Saw Aerosmith & Living Colour Last Night

I saw Aerosmith with opening act Living Colour last night at Van Andel Arena in Grand Rapids MI. Aerosmith are a band that get mixed reactions here on a progressive rock web site, but for me, last night proved once again why they have been able to sell out arenas for 40 years. Nothing cerebral to be found, just great kick ass rock and roll for 2 solid hours. The concert kicked off in high gear right out of the gate with “Draw The Line”. Tyler is still able to do the screaming section and it was a great way to start the show. Tyler may not be quite as acrobatic as in his younger days, but he was still all over the stage working the audience like the pro that he is. His voice sounded really good as well. At the beginning of the show I thought they were using piped in backing vocals, but soon realized that the keyboard player (I can’t remember his name) was singing most of the backup / harmony stuff, hitting the really high stuff the Tyler can’t quite do anymore. Along with singing the guy played killer keys and occasional guitar. Perry, Whitford, Kramer, and Hamilton were all solid as they always have been. Whitford and Perry pulled of a really nice guitar duel during “Rats In The Cellar”. Kramer’s drum solo was a little long in the tooth (and he looked like he was going to have a heart attack by the time it was over), but it was fairly entertaining especially when Tyler joined him to bang on the skins. This band has so many hits that they could play nothing but them if they wanted to, but I thought they mixed it up pretty good. The previously mentioned “Rats” was a highlight. Joe Perry took the spotlight for a cover of Fleetwood Mac’s “Stop Messin Around” which was awesome and proved what their blues album “Honkin On Bobo” could have been. Another highlight was when they pulled out their version of The Beatles “Come Together”. I don’t remember ever hearing them do this live before and they totally nailed it with the whole crowd singing along. The encore of “Dream On” (with Tyler on a white grand piano rising up out of the stage) and “Sweet Emotion” were both outstanding. The only song that I really did not care for was “Pink” which I still think sucks.

Opening act Living Colour also put on a great show. I have been a fan for years so was pretty geeked to see them again as well. The concert was billed as starting at 8PM, but as I was standing at the urinal in the bathroom at 7:45PM they came on, so I missed most of the first song. These guys have always been incredible musicians and have lost none of their chops over the years. Vernon Reid cranked out solo after solo and vocalist Cory Glover still has an amazing voice. Glover spent two songs out in the crowd singing going all the way up one side of the arena, down on the floor and up the other side never missing a beat. He was literally all over the place. Towards the end of their set they brought out Brad Whitford from Aerosmith and pulled off a smoking rendition of “Sunshine Of Your Love” with a great guitar duel between Whitford and Reid. It is still hard for me to fathom why Living Colour faded from popularity as quickly as they did. When not doing the opening act thing they are usually playing tiny clubs these days, but are well worth going to see if they hit your area.

All in all it was a great night of classic rock n roll, and I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Here are the Set Lists:

AEROSMITH:

DRAW THE LINE
    LOVE IN AN ELEVATOR
    CRYIN
    PINK
    LAST CHILD
    LIVING ON THE EDGE
    TOYS IN THE ATTIC
    DRUM SOLO
    RAG DOLL
    STOP MESSING AROUND (Fleetwood Mac Cover)
    I DON’T WANT TO MISS A THING
    RATS IN THE CELLAR
    COME TOGETHER (Beatles Cover)
    DUDE LOOKS LIKE A LADY
    WALK THIS WAY

ENCORE:

DREAM ON
    SWEET EMOTION

LIVING COLOUR:

MIDDLE MAN
    DESPERATE PEOPLE
    IGNORANCE IS BLISS
    OPEN LETTER TO A LANDLORD / AMAZING GRACE
    GLAMOUR BOYS (Cory singing from the crowd)
    LOVE REARS IT’S UGLY HEAD (Cory singing from the crowd)
    TYPE
    SUNSHINE OF YOUR LOVE
    CULT OF PERSONALITY.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Another highlight was when they pulled out their version of The Beatles “Come Together”. I don’t remember ever hearing them do this live before and they totally nailed it with the whole crowd singing along.
    I love their live version on the '78, "Live Bootleg" album
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

I saw Living Colour this past February at the State Theatre in St. Petersburg, FL. They were the headliners and played a full setlist. Needless to say, it was a fantastic show! One of the best I've seen this year. I saw Aerosmith many years ago in Orlando, FL with Kiss opening. I enjoyed Kiss more than Aerosmith that night. Personally, it was my first time seeing Aerosmith (I've seen Kiss a few times) and, although I thought their show was good, I wouldn't see them again.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I saw Aerosmith twice in the 70s. Both times it was horrible. I suspect it was because of the drugs. Sounds like you had a great time and I wouldn't hesitate to see them again. I saw Living Colour back up Crimson and they were excellent.

I never saw Aerosmith back in their heavy drug days, but I have heard many reports of horrible shows. These days they totally appear to have their shit together. Everyone was sharp and looked to be in very good physical shape.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I'm sure your right. Your review is excellent.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I saw Aerosmith twice in the 80s (sorta), once in a Vancouver BC club when they were recording Permanent Vacation and again several months later when they were touring said album. I saw Perry and Tyler sit with an act called Rock & Hyde for a few songs in a large club in Vancouver called Club Soda. Rock & Hyde were a fly by night act with one hit MTV video. They and Aerosmith were on Geffen's label and Geffen was half owner of the club at the time. Rock & Hyde played a set, took a break and when they came back out Perry and Tyler were with them and they did 4 or 5 Aerosmith tunes. Then after that set, they broke, they reappeared with Bruce Dickinson and one of the IM guitarists in tow and they did a bunch blues tunes, including a blistering cover ABB Whipping Post (Somewhere In Time was record at the same studio).

When I saw them on tour with Dokken they smoked. Except that the drummer broke out a pair electronic Hit Sticks for his solo (hey, it was the '80s). Too bad Tyler fell off the wagon a few years back but he does seem to have it together. Had he not cleaned up in the 80s, they might have coaxed Sammy Hagar into joining (they tried).

Living Colour opened for Satriani when I saw him, and they put on a good show then. "Cult of Personality" kicks ass in the live setting.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Never seen Aerosmith, but saw Living Colour on tour in the UK back in 90/91 - they creamed it then and glad to hear they're still doing it now.

saw both bands in their prime (late-70's & early-90's respectively)...

Don't know if I'd want to see them together on the same bill in these modern days, though I suspect that if I hadn't seen both before, I might actually go for it, coz they make a pretty good pairing (IMHO) and two shots from one stine.
    Last edited by Trane; 08-06-2015 at 10:49 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Sounds like a fun show - looks like a short setlist from both bands however.

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    Sounds like a fun show - looks like a short setlist from both bands however.
    Living Colour played for about an hour, Aerosmith around 2 hours. They both did quite a bit of jamming which stretched some of the songs out a lot.

Nice review!! Glad you enjoyed the double bill, Steve!

I like some of Living Colour's music. "Glamour Boys" was always an interestingly odd song. Super nice blokes, they are! I last worked with them about 12 years ago.Catchy, also!

As for Aerosmith… I never really dug them. I'm not into much blues-based rock. Their greatest hits CD is one I can pluck about 8 songs and be happy. I have seen them in concert a few times. When they toured with KISS in '03, the local radio station ran a promo to bring a bag of canned food and you can get in for the Aerosmith soundcheck. I was shocked there were less than 50 people who did it. That soundcheck was a good one as we were positioned against the runway. The band did a short acoustic set entirely on the runway. That was the only time I enjoyed a performance of theirs. As for the show that night, I left during their 3rd song and was home before 10:30pm. It was the 3rd KISS/Aerosmith show where I didn't stay to see them. That tour was strange. I've read/heard accounts of many people walking out on Aerosmith during that tour.

Still, they have the will and stamina and have been doing shows for 40 years. Most of those guys should be dead 2 and 3 times over with the amount of alcohol and drugs they have ingested.

When I think of Aerosmith these days…

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    As for Aerosmith… I never really dug them. I'm not into much blues-based rock. Their greatest hits CD is one I can pluck about 8 songs and be happy....That tour was strange. I've read/heard accounts of many people walking out on Aerosmith during that tour.
    It was that Aerosmith/Kiss "co-headlining" tour that I saw at the then called Orlando Arena. I do like Aerosmith. I even bought the deluxe edition of their last album "Music from Another Dimension" when it came out. But, as you said, that concert was odd. Like I said in my previous post, I would just qualify it as a good performance, but I perceived some tension onstage between Joe Perry and Steven Tyler. A local entertainment publication in Orlando reviewed the gig and the reviewer wrote that Kiss blew Aerosmith out of the stage. I wouldn't go that far as describing it that way, but I certainly enjoyed Kiss more that night. The Aerosmith set was kind of boring in places, I don't know, like it was a let's get this over with kind of a performance. Again, just my personal take, but I wouldn't pay one more cent to see them if they come again to this area. To me they are the type of band that, once you've seen them, you don't need to see them again (unless you are a major fan/fanboy of the band, of course).

Saw Aerosmith open for Mott the Hoople in '74. They were as bad-ass as can be, and Mott didn't stand a chance.

Saw them again, 35 years later, with ZZ Top supporting, and they were every bit as bad-ass. The only thing I didn't like about this show was the constant reminders of corporate sponsorship, by Guitar Hero. Joe Perry even had to make a guitar dual with the kid who was the regional champion. But, I guess that's Rock n Roll, by the big numbers.bus.jpg

Cool, sounds like a good show. I like both of these bands. I've seen Aerosmith a few times, though not for quite some time and never in the '70s. The shows I saw were fantastic, particularity around the PUMP era. Last time I saw LC, Corey was sick and they did most of the show instrumentally, with a few numbers being sung by audience members (who were phenomenal!).

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    It is still hard for me to fathom why Living Colour faded from popularity as quickly as they did.
    It's an interesting question. Their third album was a pretty big departure from the rock with funk/rap elements sound of the first two. Far less melodic and catchy overall, though there was some catchier stuff there as well. After that, they seemed to vanish for a long time, and I think that pretty much killed any momentum. I have all their albums, but overall I don't really enjoy any of them except the first two. Some good individual tracks on the others, but they just don't command my attention like the first two.

For Aerosmith, I have the first five plus PUMP. There's definitely good stuff on their other albums, but I haven't really felt the need to get it. I the the Honkin on Bobo idea was great, but the little I heard didn't grab me. I like Aerosmith when they are gritty and have that blooz rock swagger. Their more recent stuff just got a bit slick for my tastes. PUMP is definitely that way too, but that album worked for me, but is enough of that sound to last me.

But the live shows Ive seen have been nothing but spectacular, even featuring largely "newer" material. For me, Aerosmith is one of the, if not the, premier American hard rock bands.

Bill

Great review as always Steve.

Wow, not a single song off of Rocks (arguably their best album)? It does seem like a short set list but if you say it was two hours they must have been jamming. Saw them back around 74 when they were young and hungry. That was pretty kick ass. Tyler was all over the stage. I wish I could have seen them after cleaning up but every set list I see has those goddamn ballads and post 70s songs.

Living Colour should have been a keeper but that second album was kind of a stiff. Too bad because the first one was a monster.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

"Rats In The Cellar" in on Rocks. My absolute favorite Aerosmith album. Just friggin' nasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Living Colour should have been a keeper but that second album was kind of a stiff. Too bad because the first one was a monster.
    Interesting, I love Time's Up. I actually like it more than the debut, but I understand most probably don't. And it has one of their most popular songs, "Love Rears It's Ugly Head," plus a "Type" and several others that were pretty popular. I don't think Time's Up was responsible for the band's decline. But they needed to follow it up more quickly and more strongly, and I don't think Stain did the trick.

Bill

"Last Child" is also on Rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    "Rats In The Cellar" in on Rocks. My absolute favorite Aerosmith album. Just friggin' nasty.
    Damn, I read too fast. I stand corrected.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Interesting, I love Time's Up. I actually like it more than the debut, but I understand most probably don't. And it has one of their most popular songs, "Love Rears It's Ugly Head," plus a "Type" and several others that were pretty popular. I don't think Time's Up was responsible for the band's decline. But they needed to follow it up more quickly and more strongly, and I don't think Stain did the trick.
    I like "Time's Up" better than the debut as well, but didn't care for "Stain," though I probably haven't given it a fair chance. Haven't heard anything they've done since. But yeah, great band!

Here is some pretty good video from the show:

The Opening "Draw The Line":

The Closing "Dream On"

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post

It's an interesting question. Their third album was a pretty big departure from the rock with funk/rap elements sound of the first two. Far less melodic and catchy overall, though there was some catchier stuff there as well. After that, they seemed to vanish for a long time, and I think that pretty much killed any momentum. I have all their albums, but overall I don't really enjoy any of them except the first two. Some good individual tracks on the others, but they just don't command my attention like the first two.

Bill
    Living Colour's 3rd album "Stain" is actually my favorite by them. I can kind of understand why it did not sell that well as it is pretty raw and in your face, but I don't think there is a bad track on it. BTW at the show they did mention that they had a new album coming out soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Great review as always Steve.

Wow, not a single song off of Rocks (arguably their best album)? It does seem like a short set list but if you say it was two hours they must have been jamming. Saw them back around 74 when they were young and hungry. That was pretty kick ass. Tyler was all over the stage. I wish I could have seen them after cleaning up but every set list I see has those goddamn ballads and post 70s songs.

I agree is their best overall album. They extended "Rats" out quite a while, I would guess it was over 10 minutes. "Stop Messing Around" seemed to be pretty long as well. The drum solo ate up quite a bit of time too......maybe a bit too much....