Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who are the young'uns?

Who are the young'uns?

Could anyone please point me towards the young prog acts? I don't mean new performers I mean young proggers.
    I'm 53 so, to clarify what 'young' means, let's say anyone under 30 (drawing an arbitrary line in the sand).
    Another criterion would be that they have released an EP or LP.

For example: I really like these young Brits who are doing a great job in the post-rock/alt/prog area (a la Oceansize) -

http://flights.bandcamp.com/releases
    http://www.flightsband.co.uk/

(sadly they've been quiet since October last year so who knows if they're still a going concern)

I guess Tame Impala would be an example in the psych/prog area.

What other young people are out there trying their hand in the prog sphere?

Thanks in advance

Geoff

PS - this thread is not intended in any way to disregard or devalue the work of anyone who might not fit in with my parameters. I'm just intrigued by the thought of younger people who have decided to work in the prog field and I would like to hear what they are getting up to.
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01

Here are some

Syd Arthur
    Teeth of the Sea
    Field Music (and side projects The Week That Was and School of Language)
    Astra
    Birds & Buildings
    Crowned in Earth
    Wolf People
    Mew
    Wobbler
    These New Puritans

Can't say for sure they're all under 30 but if older they're probably not that much.

There are daily tips and ongoing discussions on younger and contemporary progressive artists here (whether retro, "neo" or the apparent avant-garde), but for starters there are threads like this one:

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...ght=indie+prog

These New Puritans' Field of Reeds would be my first stop, I think.

Some others:

Thumpermonkey
    Bent Knee
    Make a Rising
    Trojan Horse
    Ampledeed
    Jack O' the Clock (one of the greatest bands around overall now)
    Hoofoot
    Frisk Frugt
    Aquaserge (amazing!)
    Ingranaggi della Valle
    Sanguine Hum
    Pixel
    Ghost Rhythms
    PoiL (awesome!)
    Seven Impale
    Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 07-30-2015 at 04:41 AM.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

The Mercury Tree - a hometown act for me, who, weirdly, I've never seen at home. Only out of town. A three-piece who can sound like a four-or-five-piece - their leader, Ben Spees, plays both guitar and keyboards fairly well, and does some amazing things with a looping pedal.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post

These New Puritans' Field of Reeds
    Ingranaggi della Valle
    Sanguine Hum
    Pixel
    Ghost Rhythms
    Seven Impale
    That is a great list, although I've never heard the above bands listed here. Will have to investigate.

The "youngest" prog act I've seen recently who appear to have serious potential in my view would be Synaesthesia.
    However, as they've only produced one album to date, who's to say they wont have a change of direction....

Clear leaders of the newest wave of prog for me would be Moon Safari - 4 studio albums in and some really classic tracks in their repertoire already.

Young Prog Bands

District 97 certainly fits this criteria.

All my favorites (Wobbler, Astra, Syd Arthur, Aquaserge, Trojan Horse--there's threads for all these bands on this site) have been named. My favorite album from last year was Trojan Horse's, so here be video: :

It looks like, depending on who is doing the recommending, you're either getting symphonic-like, in the mold of 70s proggers (Wobbler, Synastheasia) or left of center, more out there type stuff (um, everything Scrotum rec'd). Sounds like you prefer the latter given your original post.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Foveus View Post
    District 97 certainly fits this criteria.
    They were the first ones that came to my mind. I think they are all in the 20s.

Simeon Soul Charger
    Purson
    Black Moth
    Airbag
    Abigail's Ghost
    Eversham
    Slow Earth
    Pleasures (ex-Son of Hippies)

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    PoiL (awesome!)

My favourites are A Formal Horse - in their early 20's I think - two EPs available on Bandcamp

Out of the Beardspace

Synaesthesia
    Les Rhinocéros
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Haken

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    My favorite album from last year was Trojan Horse's, so here be video:
    Thanks for that. I've had the CD for a while but hadn't bothered to check Youtube for vids.

Thanks for the many suggestions so far. I don't have a particular style that I'm looking for so all the posts have been very useful. I am familiar with the Modern Proggy Indie Recs thread so basically I'm getting you guys to do the work for me by advising as to which new names are projects with young musicians

Thanks again for all the responses.

Geoff
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01

this thread seems like a good idea...

could someone perhaps suggest which of these bands listed are heavy on Keyboards and also do not have any singing?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

If you wanted a young band from 15 years ago, I would mention Anomaly. No vocals, but alas only one album. Keyboardplayer Ivar Pijper is currently playing in a cover-band.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post

could someone perhaps suggest which of these bands listed are heavy on Keyboards and also do not have any singing?
    In which case try Klotet (three albums on band camp but no longer together. Their keyboard player and drummer went on to Gravmaskin (one album) who are different in style but still all instrumental.

Zombie Frogs

Mahogany Frog, though they're about as heavy on guitars as on keyboards.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Anyone heard "Next to None", featuring Portnoy's kid? These are apparently teens.

http://www.nexttonone.net/

If it can be a bit more folky then I would highly suggest checking out British band Moulettes:

Arthur Brown is providing some backing vocals on this track actually :-)

COOL!
    thanx everyone!
    looks like I got some buyin to do
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?