Thread: Dave Kerzner tribute album to 'The Lamb'!

Dave Kerzner tribute album to 'The Lamb'!

This was due earlier this year, any further news?

Ex Sound Of Contact man masterminding remake of 1974 album with Francis Dunnery and star guests
    Dave Kerzner has announced a tribute to classic Genesis album The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway - 40 years to the week after the original was launched.

The former Sound Of Contact man is working with Francis Dunnery under the name Sonic Elements on a remake to be called IT. It's set to feature contributions from Nick D'Virgilio, Steve Rothery, Billy Sherwood, Nad Sylvan and others.

They've released a clip of their version of In The Cage for streaming. Hear it below.

Kerzner says: "This tribute to the picaresque album is done in a classic rock-meets-modern film score style, combining authentic vintage instruments from the 70s – including sounds recorded at Genesis' studio with engineer Nick Davis – along with a full orchestra."

IT is expected in early 2015. The Lamb, launched on November 18, 1974, was Genesis' sixth studio outing and the last to feature Peter Gabriel.

Banned
    I'm guessing that Dave's return to SOC and other projects may have put this on hold until the 50th.

i know he has access to a lot of that old cool gear...what if he just rerecorded the lamb as close to the original as possible?

I love the lamb...!

// Mattias

Interested. The other Lamb project from a few years back, Rewiring Genesis, was a pretty innovative way of looking at the music - doing it with largely acoustic instruments - and it worked pretty damn well i thought.

Thanks Firth for letting me know about this thread. "It" is still in the works. I've put the Sonic Elements tribute albums on temporary hold while I finish mixing the Mantra Vega album, a project with Heather Findlay and musicians from Mostly Autumn plus special guest David Kilminster (Steven Wilson, Roger Waters) and yes I've returned to Sound of Contact so that's a priority over tributes as well (although everyone is working on multiple projects besides SOC). That said, The Lamb as well as the Rush tribute and the Floyd tribute are all about 80% done and I'm looking forward to final tracking with Francis and others then mixing them and releasing them! They sound really good and they were a lot of fun to do! I just have to put the original music projects first including the live shows and recording of live album/Blu Ray of my solo band performing the songs from my album "New World" (here's the Kickstarter for the live album/concert video). One thing of potential interest, though, is that Francis Dunnery may be guesting with me on one of my gigs (a bunch are being announced in different parts of the world) and if he's there we'll probably do at least one song from The Lamb live! That'll be fun!

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Interested. The other Lamb project from a few years back, Rewiring Genesis, was a pretty innovative way of looking at the music - doing it with largely acoustic instruments - and it worked pretty damn well i thought.
    Love this one. Such an interesting approach. Nick D'Virgilio does a great job.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Love this one. Such an interesting approach. Nick D'Virgilio does a great job.
    I used the sessions of that album to build this version which includes even more of a cinematic symphonic approach plus vintage keyboards Tony used on The Lamb and Francis Dunnery singing and playing guitar plus various special guests. I loved performing songs from The Lamb with NDV years ago with Giraffe and always wanted to do the full album. Their Rewiring Genesis sessions gave me a huge head start on this and since they didn't have electric keys that have a very "Lamb" flavor such as the RMI, Arp and Mellotron, I was licking my lamb chops to do this. Plus, after Francis and I guested on Hackett's Genesis Revisited 2 we were excited to do more of that (and may do some Lamb acoustic house concerts together at some point as well).

The soundcloud streaming in the cage sounds great. I'm in for the album

I just checked Amazon for the retiring Genesis and they're sold out with used going for $99, a bit steep

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Prog Lives View Post
    The soundcloud streaming in the cage sounds great. I'm in for the album

I just checked Amazon for the retiring Genesis and they're sold out with used going for $99, a bit steep
    Retiring Genesis[emoji2]

That's pretty damn funny

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Retiring Genesis[emoji2]
    iPad autocorrect behaves like it has a soul sometimes

Haha! Awesome. I should tell Francis that one! He'll laugh. I told him we should call it Francisis... and then something rude that can't be said here but I have to compete with him and he says wrong things... VERY wrong things. Yet he has a heart of gold that guy! It really is a lot of fun doing this. We have to get back to it and finish this. It sounds really good. I'd share more but I've already shared a lot already so the next thing that will be heard is the album itself!