Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Bent Knee - best band from the US in a long while?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    That Terror Bird video is pretty disturbing. The song sound good!

I am LOVING Bent Knee!!!!! Some of the coolest stuff I have heard in a while now!

Well, you folks convinced me to give them a try at last night's Philly show. I got more of an Adrian Belew vibe than anything else (the willingness to be equally peppy, smart and weird at the same time). Even when the music didn't hit right away, the fun factor was just infectious. They were obviously having a blast.

interview with Courtney Swain.

I'm loving the new album!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I somehow had never seen any of the official videos for Say So till today. They're all super cool, especially the one for Hands Up!
    Last edited by JKL2000; 07-09-2017 at 01:07 AM.

The current issue of Modern Drummer contains a two-page interview with Gavin Wallace-Ailsworth.

It also has an article on Close to the Edge, focusing on Bruford's drumming.

"ECSTATIC MUSIC FESTIVAL:
    BENT KNEE &
    MANTRA PERCUSSION

Thursday, March 29, 2018 | 7:30pm

The silo-smashing sextet Bent Knee taps into chamber pop, industrial rock, metal and prog-rock” (Wall Street Journal). The hard-hitting, experimental Boston band comes together with the visionary, “superhuman” (Time Out New York) Mantra Percussion for new works expanding their already enormous scope and sound. The two ensembles will perform separate sets and then come together to premiere a new work by Bent Knee that weaves influences from across the rock, pop and avant-garde spectrums into a seamless, thrilling whole."

(source: http://www.kaufmanmusiccenter.org/mc...ra-percussion/)

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    "ECSTATIC MUSIC FESTIVAL:
    BENT KNEE &
    MANTRA PERCUSSION

Thursday, March 29, 2018 | 7:30pm

The silo-smashing sextet Bent Knee taps into chamber pop, industrial rock, metal and prog-rock” (Wall Street Journal). The hard-hitting, experimental Boston band comes together with the visionary, “superhuman” (Time Out New York) Mantra Percussion for new works expanding their already enormous scope and sound. The two ensembles will perform separate sets and then come together to premiere a new work by Bent Knee that weaves influences from across the rock, pop and avant-garde spectrums into a seamless, thrilling whole."

(source: http://www.kaufmanmusiccenter.org/mc...ra-percussion/)
    Thanks for the heads up, gonna go there after the Mets home opener! And quite a steal for only $25-
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

BUMP

Bent Knee need your help to press their AMAZING 3rd album, Say So to wax. Check it out!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...vinyl-pressing

I've heard some stuff of their on Youtube and was mighty impressed. A band I need to investigate more closely when time and circumstances allow. One thing I did pick up on was that, in addition to the excellent level of musicianship, the lyrics also seemed to be outstandingly good, and very much bang on with the agenda of the #metoo generation. Definitely a band to watch for sure.

On a related topic, I saw District 97 mentioned in this thread as a similar kind of band. I've just never been able to get into these guys - everything I've heard has had me wondering just what all the fuss is about. Weird.

District 97 has toured with Bent Knee, but I don't know if I would call them similar. I love them both. The fuss is real.

I don’t think they are similar in any way, personally. D97 always drew from the Dream Theater tonal palette a bit much for my taste. Bent Knee sound like no one else.

They're both young, female-fronted bands formed by music school geeks, and they both incorporate some modern pop influences, but there's not a whole lot of similarity. I bet the joint tour was a great experience, though.

The two bands are nothing alike, but I love them both. D97's The Perfect Young Man is a fantastic track!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by dpt3 View Post
    They're both young, female-fronted bands formed by music school geeks, and they both incorporate some modern pop influences, but there's not a whole lot of similarity. I bet the joint tour was a great experience, though.
    Agree completely, and the joint tour (I saw it in Milwaukee) was very special indeed. I can tell you that these 2 bands, from everything I observed and from talking to both Courtney & Leslie, really love each other personally & musically.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I was not a fan of music that was beyond angular. I tried. Just didn't get it. Then Bent Knee played at Rosfest. I told one friend, "I'll give them a chance.

About 30 minutes into their set, the music started to make sense. It's like is causally came into focus. They are the door for my adventures into more adventurous music. I went to ProgDay last year and was blown away.

All because I gave Bent Knee a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Agree completely, and the joint tour (I saw it in Milwaukee) was very special indeed. I can tell you that these 2 bands, from everything I observed and from talking to both Courtney & Leslie, really love each other personally & musically.
    Actually that was the only show we've done together to date. Here's hoping for more!

As far as comparisons to us and Bent Knee, we definitely have very different approaches. However, if what we've done in the past hasn't resonated with some BK fans, I think some of our newest stuff might as a lot of it veers a bit closer to that kind of sound than we have in the past. We'll be putting some samples out soon as part of promo for our April/May 10th Anniversary Tour (dates at http://www.district97.net/shows) and some other upcoming activities.

Bubblemath is opening for them in Minneapolis at The Entry on July 10th.

https://www.facebook.com/events/228872804327632/

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post

That's a great combination. I wish I could make that show! It's just too far away for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post

Wow - a Tuesday night makes it difficult, but being a fan of BK and having just discovered Bubblemath, I may have to make it happen...
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    I've heard some stuff of their on Youtube and was mighty impressed. A band I need to investigate more closely when time and circumstances allow. One thing I did pick up on was that, in addition to the excellent level of musicianship, the lyrics also seemed to be outstandingly good, and very much bang on with the agenda of the #metoo generation. Definitely a band to watch for sure.

On a related topic, I saw District 97 mentioned in this thread as a similar kind of band. I've just never been able to get into these guys - everything I've heard has had me wondering just what all the fuss is about. Weird.
    They seem pretty different to me, but both great in their own way. Both bands need to be experienced live to really appreciate them IMO.

On YouTube, here is Paper Earth, their 30-minute epic for rock band and percussion ensemble:

^Wow - that was definitely the most impressive and enjoyable piece that I have ever heard by this band, and the length not really swaying my decision. That is quite an achievement - that piece involves a lot of musicians and it was tight as hell. Really great development as well - just a super well thought-out composition. Bravo to the 'Knee!
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson