Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New to Univers Zero

Ha, i just realized that i actually saw Univers Zero at Baja Prog in 2007. I only wish i had appreciated them then, like i do now!
    David Robin
    Filmmaker/Drummer
    www.steelyjam.com
    www.davidrobinfilms.com

I only have the first two Present albums. Both are great.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

In the past there have been references made to Univers Zero and Present taking over where King Crimson left off. I can clearly understand that observation, but I find the chord sequences and overall voicing structure of Univers Zero having similarities with the modernism of 20th century avant-garde. Some of their ideas seem to create the same mysterious vibe displayed in Francesco Balilla's "Pratella L'Aviatore Dro (1915) or even the subtleness in Erick Satie's "Vexations". Those types of hypnotic but mysterious sounding chord structures applied in "Chamber Rock" , but additionally atmospheric and used during intro's and quiet sections after breaking from a gymnastic build up. Some sections of specific Univers Zero pieces seem to derive from the formula for Bartok's Music For Strings , Percussion, & Celesta. Particularly Andante tranquillo, Allegro, and Adagio in that case. Excerpts of Bernard Herrmann's "The Day The Earth Stood Still" such as "Terror" or "The Robot" or a string quartet by Stephan Wolpe all seem influential to their sound, but placed more into an actual "Chamber Rock" style.

Definitely Le Poison Qui Rend Fou (and Triskal as well)... among their later works (yup they also had a long hiatus), my preference goes to High Infidelity and Barbaro, (Ma Non Troppo)

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    Your next stop is Present.
    and the two Daniel Denis solo album (made during the 13 years hiatus of UZ)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by ProgUK View Post
    Oh Jeez, What Present do i need?
    High Infidelity is easily the best Present album. Stunning piece of music.

I'm waiting for Wayside to get No. 6 back into stock. Heard good things about it.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

And then there are two Daniel Denis solo albums, which he made in between 'Heat Wave' and 'The Hard Quest'.
    @Enid
    I agree with your view on 'The hard Quest', but I find that 'Rhytmix' and 'Implosion' are natural succesors in that style.

Quote Originally Posted by Enid View Post
    The Hard Quest is one of my favorites. They vanished for a few years prior to it's release. Heatwave gave high expectations to people regarding the follow up and the year or two of disappearance built those high ideals in people when they caught wind of their return.
    They broke up in '86 and didn't return with Hard Quest until 1999.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

my personal favorite post-original era Present is actually their most recent:

Barbaro (ma non troppo)

Here's hoping they top it with their next one!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    my personal favorite post-original era Present is actually their most recent:

Barbaro (ma non troppo)

I would agree - I love that album.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Barbaro may be my favorite of the non original Present albums. The first two Present albums are essential. The other benefit of Barbaro is the stunning dvd. They're all good though, love all of them.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

They broke up in '86 and didn't return with Hard Quest until 1999.
    Yes...thank you...I couldn't recall obviously how long that period was. I couldn't recall ..but that certainly is a long time for a band to vanish then return

Universe Zero is in a different league than Present. The music of Present does not create the intrigue that the music of UZ does for me.

Present... meh
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    honestly, I like when their not trying to sound like Halloween music (1313) I like their Avant twist on Symph which is best exemplified on Heatwave and Uzed, but I also like The Hard Quest and the new one Phosphorescent Dreams
    Complete opposite for me. I like the later stuff a lot, but my favorite UZ is the first three albums. When I'm in the mood for UZ, those are the ones I usually grab. Daniel Denis just smokes on the debut album and I love the variety of percussion he uses with almost ridiculous precision. I love the spaces in the music and the acoustic take on the energy of rock music, particularly on the debut.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Universe Zero is in a different league than Present. The music of Present does not create the intrigue that the music of UZ does for me.

Present... meh
    I find them equally exhilarating, one is just slightly more electric than the other with the occasional strangled vocal.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I find them equally exhilarating, one is just slightly more electric than the other with the occasional strangled vocal.
    I LOVE Present, I just don't know them that well. I guess I'll put out last year's excellent remasters and give 'em another whirl! It's all great music, really.

this!!!

more or less
    Last edited by Trane; 07-04-2015 at 05:29 PM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

...one is just slightly more electric than the other with the occasional strangled vocal.
    "Damn! Damn! Damn!
    Damnation on you ALL!"

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

perhaps the "strangled vocals" are what put me off... but I really don't think Present have near the compositional complexity of UZ
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

It's a very detailed observation to consider, but Univers Zero are focused more on the dynamics within composition than Present. Although I've only heard Triskaideliaphobic/Le Poison Qui Rend Jou by Present ..so only in comparison to that I make the observation. There are sections of Present's music that are "drone tone" hypnotic jamming which was more likely to be discovered in the music of King Crimson during the Starless and Bible Black period. Univers Zero tend to avoid that aspect where a chord progression repeats itself with instruments soloing over top of it for length and redundant time. But it's not as extreme as I'm making it sound because Present have planned, written out, complex pieces ..no doubt...however they don't fall into a category with Univers Zero, as I have all the U.Z. cd's and it is evident that when listening to each one of them, the music in the particular track order leaves an impression on me as if I could be watching a film or that the music is telling a story instrumentally ...while the listener is using their imagination. Univers Zero and Art Zoyd both contain a seriousness to the ever changing composition. "Et Avec Votre Esprit" by Art Zoyd leaves the same powerful impression on me invoked also by Univers Zero when they play pieces like "Retour de Foire" or "Terres Noires" (Blacklands). Stylistically ...there is a connection between both bands depending on which title you choose. "Le Mariage du Ciel et de I' Enfer" by Art Zoyd has characteristics of Univers Zero ..but Berlin does not. I get no respect if I'm caught listening to these bands. My wife accidentally walked in when I was listening to Univers Zero and she thought I was performing a Black Magic ritual with the kids. Just the other day she was browsing through my record collection and and when I asked her what she was looking for,...she said..."witchcraft books" My 2 sons ...age 9 and 12..often say.."Dad, this band is really good" They request hearing it in the car on the way to "Six Flags". My daughter..age 14.. has often said..."Dad, could you imagine meeting someone else in the world who is a Univers Zero fan?" She seems to think the band is interesting. The kids love them, but adults who might stop over for a visit..react rudely as if Dracula has entered the room. This one extreme compared to the other is commonly developed and cemented in the social environment of the U.S. I don't get the impression that it is common in Europe.
    Last edited by Enid; 07-06-2015 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Enid View Post
    It's a very detailed observation to consider, but Univers Zero are focused more on the dynamics within composition than Present. Although I've only heard Triskaideliaphobic/Le Poison Qui Rend Jou by Present ..so only in comparison to that I make the observation. There are sections of Present's music that are "drone tone" hypnotic jamming which was more likely to be discovered in the music of King Crimson during the Starless and Bible Black period. Univers Zero tend to avoid that aspect where a chord progression repeats itself with instruments soloing over top of it for length and redundant time. But it's not as extreme as I'm making it sound because Present have planned, written out, complex pieces ..no doubt...however they don't fall into a category with Univers Zero, as I have all the U.Z. cd's and it is evident that when listening to each one of them, the music in the particular track order leaves an impression on me as if I could be watching a film or that the music is telling a story instrumentally ...while the listener is using their imagination. Univers Zero and Art Zoyd both contain a seriousness to the ever changing composition. "Et Avec Votre Esprit" by Art Zoyd leaves the same powerful impression on me invoked also by Univers Zero when they play pieces like "Retour de Foire" or "Terres Noires" (Blacklands).

mmmhhhh888...

I may be all too simplistic in my reasonong,, but I think one should compare the first two Present albums to UZ's first three (plus Crawling Winds compilation), and the 90's Present more with the UZED & onwards UZ era.

Not sure how 70's & 80's AZ fit in , coz I always felt they were rather different (though so close at the same time), because their music wasn't as dark or sinister (IMHO)

Present's Le Poison Qui Rend Fou was one of those earthshattering musical experiences I had. There was something mildly familiar in there - the KC "Fracture" harmonics and force, the metric pulse of Magma at their most electric, the weirdo Beefheart'ian dissonant sweeps, some mock gothic cock-rock - yet it was all so prone to a completely different level of authority and vision as to what a "regular band"-patterned unit would want to bite over. I'll still rate this as highly as any of the UZero records, to be honest.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

my personal
    favorite post-original era Present is actually their most recent:
    Barbaro (ma non troppo)
    I don't know about "topping" but I find Roger's new piece temporarily titled 2013 ( to be recorded in the future I hope) very promising

lucky you! so many good ones to come
    ceux would be my suggestion as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    The live album is superb
    +1 - really well recorded and smokin performances