Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: GTR 2 Disc Reissue in August

GTR 2 Disc Reissue in August

Coming in August is the long awaited re-issue of the GTR album from the 1980’s project Steve worked on with Steve Howe of Yes & Asia. The new version includes 3 bonus studio tracks and a second 14 track CD featuring a live show from L.A. in 1986.

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    a second 14 track CD featuring a live show from L.A. in 1986.
    Wonder if that's the same show as that King Biscuit Flower Hour disc?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Wonder if that's the same show as that King Biscuit Flower Hour disc?
    I guess it is. The King Biscuit was recorded on July 19, 1986 in Los Angeles.
    http://shop.cherryred.co.uk/esoteric-exd.asp?id=5129

Somehow I was hoping for 3 discs.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I would buy this but I think I have to wash my hair that day, or something.

I wish we would get a remix of it. The 80s production Geoff Downes made and lots of reverb burried so much in the mix. But I guess this album will never get that treatment :-(

Heh, I read this as a "GTR 2" reissue. Oh well.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by kaltfeuer View Post
    I wish we would get a remix of it. The 80s production Geoff Downes made and lots of reverb burried so much in the mix. But I guess this album will never get that treatment :-(
    That might actually be interesting. I'd vote for a new singer in the process, but that's just me...

As horrible as the sound was on the final product, when I watched their "Making Of" short (on VHS), the studio playbacks sounded incredible and not shrill. I would love to hear it the way it was sounding during "construction"....

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I'd vote for a new singer in the process, but that's just me...
    Personally I think they should have replaced all the members as well as all the material - and then "rerecorded" it. Kept the cover, so as to make it a GTR proper.

Such a nice cover.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Would have liked to see some of the follow-up songs with Robert Berry included. Anyone know which label is doing this?

Obviously this is going to get a lot of sneering but actually it's been unavailable in the UK for years and years. I don't think I've ever once seen a copy of the CD here, new or otherwise.

I remember Vicky mentioning this on an earlier thread...I think the live show is the same as the King Biscuit one. I do have that.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Heh, I read this as a "GTR 2" reissue. Oh well.
    I thought it was about a new Nissan.

Some people on here are so snobbish about what is acceptable prog! GTR seem to be the new Asia on here. Perhaps those making sneering comments would prefer that Esoteric didn't re-release old albums.

Quote Originally Posted by everyday View Post
    Some people on here are so snobbish about what is acceptable prog! GTR seem to be the new Asia on here. Perhaps those making sneering comments would prefer that Esoteric didn't re-release old albums.
    ^^^DITTO! God help them if they ever decided to re-release Genesis's 80's catalogue!

Some people on here are so snobbish about what is acceptable prog!
    When the FUCK did anyone here apply the ludicrous term of "acceptable prog"? Or even indicate or imply anything towards such a notion?

Call me crazy, but I usually just don't post in threads about artists that I don't like.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I usually just don't post in threads about artists that I don't like.
    No, one usually shouldn't. The problem is that these were artists one did like - only with meagre results. But not because it wasn't "properly prog" - there are, believe it or not, other imaginable parameters out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    When the FUCK did anyone here apply the ludicrous term of "acceptable prog"? Or even indicate or imply anything towards such a notion?
    Yet this is what you said:
    "Personally I think they should have replaced all the members as well as all the material - and then "rerecorded" it."

What was the point in your comment? If you don't like something just say that - no need for what you said.

Personally I think they should have replaced all the members as well as all the material - and then "rerecorded" it. Kept the cover, so as to make it a GTR proper.

Such a nice cover.
    Love this idea---Howe and Hackett have gotten chummy again---sort of a revisited version which Hackett has done with new back up players and singer----(I think David Longdon a great choice)thought this album could have been a good rock album but production and singer were annoying.
    Last edited by 2steves; 07-01-2015 at 09:14 AM.

Yet this is what you said:
    "Personally I think they should have replaced all the members as well as all the material - and then "rerecorded" it."

What was the point in your comment? If you don't like something just say that - no need for what you said.
    When do those paragraphs incline anything to be even remotely interpreted as an accusation towards something being not "acceptable prog" - which was what you said? Did you read post 18, and more specifically the last sentence?

Quote Originally Posted by 2steves View Post
    Love this idea---Howe and Hackett have gotten chummy again---sort of a revisited version which Hackett has done with new back up players and singer----thought this album could have been a good rock album but production and singer were annoying.
    If they were to get back together, I'd rather they create something new/original, perhaps more in line with their original intent for GTR.

If they were to get back together, I'd rather they create something new/original, perhaps more in line with their original intent for GTR.
    Now, something like THIS I can endorse.

Hackett has rather implied that Howe's original intent with GTR was to continue the commercial success of Asia.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

No, one usually shouldn't. The problem is that these were artists one did like - only with meagre results. But not because it wasn't "properly prog" - there are, believe it or not, other imaginable parameters out there.
    Bingo. Hackett and Howe, two worthy artists of a high musical calibre, should be deeply embarrassed by this corporate turd.