Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: “The Shaming Of The True” LIVE – Performed by the Champions of Nothing

curious, are some folks going in together at a hotel/motel? I am planning to take the Megabus back to Minneapolis at 9:10AM, but from the point the show's over until then, I'm uncertain what I may do. Hang at 24hour Cafe?, the Amtrak Station?, or somewhere else. Also I'm not sure if I'll be taking a city bus back to the Megabus location or not, but if anyone wouldn't be troubled, I'd love a ride to the 2 miles+change from Shank Hall to the Megabus/Amtrak Station area. I'd be happy to offer a few dollars for gas, etc.

Kyle, can't say for certain but I'd be willing to bet we will be feeling fairly festive and we've been known to carry on til the wee hours. I don't have a room so not quite sure where I'll end up. If it works out, I'm typically an early riser so maybe I can give you a ride to the Megabus.

Have a great show, guys! I'll be there in spirit!

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    No offense but an after hours show is an insult to the legacy of Kevin Gilbert and to the talents of the Champs.
    Insulting Kevin and his music, as well as the Champions, would never cross my mind! How would I know what the show is like if I've never seen it? I'm sure it's a great show. I'm just very sad to be missing this.
    Last edited by Hunnibee; 01-18-2013 at 12:16 AM.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain

Mel, I know you are a huge KG fan and I wish you could make it too. Your presence will be missed but we know you will be there in heart and mind.

With the exception of Kevin doing the Lamb I don't think there has been another rock opera performed at a Progfest ever. Doesn't fit into the prog formula I guess.
    Last edited by Fox; 01-18-2013 at 12:46 PM.

Well, Nick, and a bunch of the spock's guys including Mike keneally did it a calprog in 2005 I think. That was a tremendous performance. I have heard audio from it, but never seen any footage.

It was 2004, Luis. I missed that one.

Wish I could have seen that one too! Actually would have been cool to see the last one in June of 2012, but had to settle instead for Todd Rundgren with the Rockford Symphony Orchestra. I am prettyy sure that Kevin had a respect for Todd from some interview footage I've seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luis Nasser View Post
    Well, Nick, and a bunch of the spock's guys including Mike keneally did it a calprog in 2005 I think. That was a tremendous performance. I have heard audio from it, but never seen any footage.

I saw the Shaming in June while you saw Todd. We were in the best possible universes.

Have we talked about this before???? LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    I saw the Shaming in June while you saw Todd. We were in the best possible universes.

Not CalProg

NDV & Friends have performed The Shaming Of The True twice:

2002 - ProgWest (festival)
    2012 - CalProg (event)

I just met up with Magog and journeyed over to his and some other fans/performers hotel after the performance tonight.

Wow, is probably the best thing to say. It was rather revelatory. I at 1 point figured I'd never get to see anyone play Kevin's music live, and the Champions put on one incredible show. They did all of Shaming, including a ton of added theatrics with sound clips from a radio station in Seattle, a plethora of costumes and wardrobe changes. There even was a short speech given before by gentleman who helped put this show on.

Typically I'm way too drained after a show, especially as meaningful/significant as this one, but I'm sorta killing time here until getting on the megabus back to Minneapolis at 9AM.

I couldn't make the show in LA last June, but tonights epic performance, likely the last time ever I'll have to see Kevin;s music live, more than fulfilled my long wait. It almost felt like Kevin was there.

Kyle, thanks for the kind words and thanks for coming all the way down from Minnesota for the show! Nice to FINALLY meet you after 12 years! Wow, did we have fun. It was definitely a spirited and heartfelt performance, if not a flawless one. I truly loved playing this with everyone and am so glad we reunited for just one last time.

Thanks also to everyone else who came out including Geezer- nice Xmas gift your kids got you, btw- and Kay (and no, they DON'T let anyone in early for insurance reasons. Your reputation precedes you, Steve!!!) ; Mike and Vicky (thanks for the support and the beer!), Bob Lee (thanks for finding that primo parking spot outside the hotel!), Martin Kornick and his wife; Brian Harris (thanks for filling in at the last minute!!! You were, as always, astounding- AND a tough act to follow!) , Jeff Denton (thanks for the amp stand!), Doug/Floop- who is always a trooper about making the long haul to hang with everyone; Mikebo and Wanda- special thanks for helping me find my way back home!!!; Tina Pieper, Kathy Royce, Karen Fox, Nancy Faller and Val Pallson- always the supportive band spouses- we've given you back your men- FOR NOW!

Andy who came in also from Minnesota; Mark Kreuger, who gave a wonderful introduction to the show AND told a typical MK joke backstage that I can't repeat here! ; Matt Lewis and Kim Cushing- always one of our biggest supporters and best friends; and speaking of best friends- Uncle Norm for always being there and always supportive of our efforts! ; Dan and Tom Schenfeld for making the long trip up, Tom Russell who always comes out to support our shows, Vlad and his wife... oh crap, I can NEVER get this guy's name right- Mike and Vicky's friend from Wisconsin; Jim Packer who is the best roadie a band could ask for!; Bob from Hell, who is a top-notch Kevin Gilbert aficionado; Larry Blatecky and Rick (?); Joe- Tina’s brother; Steve Tomcyk for coming thru with great lighting at the last minute; the staff at Shank Hall for providing great sound and yes, Zafero’s IS the best thin crust pizza in town!

Extra special thanks to Barry Johnson who hosted our first gig ever and came in from New Orleans to give one hell of an introduction for the band. Also, extra special thanks to Chuck who flew in from North Carolina just for the show and took a 5am flight back because he had to work today!! And super extra special thanks to Jimmy and Lila for completely blowing my mind not only for being there and coming all the way in from Baltimore but also for clueing me in that they are married! That was the highlight of my night! You guys are the best!!

And, damn, I just know I’m leaving some folks off that deserve to be mentioned. Thanks to you, and to the strangers I didn’t know, and regretfully, didn’t get to meet!

It was fun, fun, fun!!! 

^
    Sounds like you just won a Grammy and you're making the acceptance speech, Dale!

So sorry I missed it (as I seem to miss everything you do) and so glad it went great! I love that album and would've loved to see you guys perform it! Darn...

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    ^
    Sounds like you just won a Grammy and you're making the acceptance speech, Dale!
    LOL!!! Too damn funny, Ernie! I feel even better than having won a grammy. That and I'm just in post-part(y)um depression right now and missing all the fun we had last night- and very grateful to all who came out and to all who made it happen. I am very proud of the musicians I have had the good fortune to work with! They're not only talented but some of the best friends I could ask for!

If everyone who was there yesterday isn't doing anything tonight I'm up for doing it again!!!

It's nothing short of both amazing and incredible that a classically trained opera singer along with a woman versed in choral singing would team up with 6 musician friends, all of whom have a myriad of musical irons in the fire at present, and rehearse often enough (with one band member in Michigan & the rest in the Chicago area) to not just "pull it off", as it were, but rather replicate the album (as well as a couple of other KG ditties including "The Ballad of Jenny Ledge") with amazing reverence as well as both musical and vocal precision.

Kyle previously posted here about the innumerable quick costume changes and great acting they performed through their show, which greatly added to their performance.

PE's Monkey (spouse of Fox) was brilliant in the lead role of Johnny Virgil.

BTW, Luis, with all the musical projects you're juggling right now, how the hell do you even remember the syllabi for your "other" gig!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

About the only one you left out was not really there but sent heart felt prayer for the Champs, KG, and the fans......it was read by Barry Johnson from our friend Jason Hubbard. Very classy.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleGtr View Post
    Kyle, thanks for the kind words and thanks for coming all the way down from Minnesota for the show! Nice to FINALLY meet you after 12 years! Wow, did we have fun. It was definitely a spirited and heartfelt performance, if not a flawless one. I truly loved playing this with everyone and am so glad we reunited for just one last time.

Thanks also to everyone else who came out including Geezer- nice Xmas gift your kids got you, btw- and Kay (and no, they DON'T let anyone in early for insurance reasons. Your reputation precedes you, Steve!!!) ; Mike and Vicky (thanks for the support and the beer!), Bob Lee (thanks for finding that primo parking spot outside the hotel!), Martin Kornick and his wife; Brian Harris (thanks for filling in at the last minute!!! You were, as always, astounding- AND a tough act to follow!) , Jeff Denton (thanks for the amp stand!), Doug/Floop- who is always a trooper about making the long haul to hang with everyone; Mikebo and Wanda- special thanks for helping me find my way back home!!!; Tina Pieper, Kathy Royce, Karen Fox, Nancy Faller and Val Pallson- always the supportive band spouses- we've given you back your men- FOR NOW!

Andy who came in also from Minnesota; Mark Kreuger, who gave a wonderful introduction to the show AND told a typical MK joke backstage that I can't repeat here! ; Matt Lewis and Kim Cushing- always one of our biggest supporters and best friends; and speaking of best friends- Uncle Norm for always being there and always supportive of our efforts! ; Dan and Tom Schenfeld for making the long trip up, Tom Russell who always comes out to support our shows, Vlad and his wife... oh crap, I can NEVER get this guy's name right- Mike and Vicky's friend from Wisconsin; Jim Packer who is the best roadie a band could ask for!; Bob from Hell, who is a top-notch Kevin Gilbert aficionado; Larry Blatecky and Rick (?); Joe- Tina’s brother; Steve Tomcyk for coming thru with great lighting at the last minute; the staff at Shank Hall for providing great sound and yes, Zafero’s IS the best thin crust pizza in town!

Extra special thanks to Barry Johnson who hosted our first gig ever and came in from New Orleans to give one hell of an introduction for the band. Also, extra special thanks to Chuck who flew in from North Carolina just for the show and took a 5am flight back because he had to work today!! And super extra special thanks to Jimmy and Lila for completely blowing my mind not only for being there and coming all the way in from Baltimore but also for clueing me in that they are married! That was the highlight of my night! You guys are the best!!

And, damn, I just know I’m leaving some folks off that deserve to be mentioned. Thanks to you, and to the strangers I didn’t know, and regretfully, didn’t get to meet!

It was fun, fun, fun!!! 

Thanks for pointing out the notable omission, Mark! Mea culpa!

And Geezer, thanks for the kind words but 'often enough' isn't quite accurate! We only had two full rehearsals. I know from my standpoint I could have used a couple more! Still, I'm human. Sometimes more human than others!

Geezer, you know we love ya man. Luis is able to do that because he is a monster maniac musician of a highest degree as are a number of band members. They go about their business of being ready and woodshedding on their own. That is how you bring this off with two 4 hour practices in a 14 month period. They always bring their game.
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    It's nothing short of both amazing and incredible that a classically trained opera singer along with a woman versed in choral singing would team up with 6 musician friends, all of whom have a myriad of musical irons in the fire at present, and rehearse often enough (with one band member in Michigan & the rest in the Chicago area) to not just "pull it off", as it were, but rather replicate the album (as well as a couple of other KG ditties including "The Ballad of Jenny Ledge") with amazing reverence as well as both musical and vocal precision.

Kyle previously posted here about the innumerable quick costume changes and great acting they performed through their show, which greatly added to their performance.

PE's Monkey (spouse of Fox) was brilliant in the lead role of Johnny Virgil.

BTW, Luis, with all the musical projects you're juggling right now, how the hell do you even remember the syllabi for your "other" gig!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigpicturekeys View Post
    Luis is able to do that because he is a monster maniac musician of a highest degree as are a number of band members.
    +1

Wow! Listening to a raw recording from the audience! Nice mix overall and sounding pretty good- so far!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigpicturekeys View Post
    Geezer, you know we love ya man. Luis is able to do that because he is a monster maniac musician of a highest degree as are a number of band members. They go about their business of being ready and woodshedding on their own. That is how you bring this off with two 4 hour practices in a 14 month period. They always bring their game.
    That's too kind of you Mark. People should not forget to mention that Chicago's Department of revenge were slated to open the gig, but had to cancel last minute due to Bill Hartwig's (their drummer) sudden and ass-kicking dose of stomach flu. It was a treat to see and hear Rich Poston and Steve Royce get up there and do acoustic guitar and flute versions of some of these pieces, including my favorite called "Bigger than ripples, smaller than Waves". This is a band I think people on this board should check out.

Then Brian Harris came and just killed it with a setlist that included Elton John's Levon, Some insane Chopin, and a couple of original compositions. This man is a freak of nature, and a real great guy.

For me, playing Kevin's music was always a joy, because it's very often in my head. I wanted to play longer - I would have loved to add "Shrug" and "Shadow-self" to the encore, but while i know them and play them regularly, there was just no chance to assemble them and put them together. More importantly, I really wanted to play harder, and better, but my injured arm really put a cramp on my best laid plans. Nonetheless, I had a blastastic time, and what a way to end it!

I'm glad Charlie talked to me in Montreal about this project all those years ago. I'm glad I could be a part of playing this music live. Glad he was stubborn and made his theatrical vision a reality, always thinking, shifting, changing, adding...

And very glad the poor bastard can stop agonizing over this and take a rest!

Wow! Listening to a raw recording from the audience! Nice mix overall and sounding pretty good- so far!
    Now listen to it when you're not stoned.

Why?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Why?
    Gawwdd I miss you guys!! Glad all went well!
    Normal people are just people you don't know very well.

Wow, I am so happy for you guys that it turned out so awesome! Now I will go cry in my pillow for missing it.