Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: True Detective Season 2

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Very good post, like the David Lynch comparison, now that's a show I'm really looking forward to.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Very good post, like the David Lynch comparison
    I'll offer that the comparison is not originally mine:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/...influence.html

now that's a show I'm really looking forward to.
    Yep.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Sorry, but I'm done. Way too obtuse for me, and I usually enjoy obtuse.

Off to the store to buy some G rated movies that an old man with synapse problems can understand.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I hear Frozen is very good.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I'm sticking to Quincy reruns after this.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Off to the store to buy some G rated movies that an old man with synapse problems can understand.
    Wow, you just missed a bunch of movies shown on ABC Family over the last few days: Dumbo, 101 Dalmations, Gnomeo & Juliet.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I'm sticking to Quincy reruns after this.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

This has nothing to do with anything really, but I have been trying to figure out where I had seen the actor who plays the plastic surgeon before, and it just hit me tonight it is Rick Springfield. Never noticed his name in the credits.

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    After one decent episode (#1) and 3 bad ones (besides some real good scenes here and there), I thought we finally had an episode where the good scenes outnumber the bad.

The only problem now is deciding whether or not the bad scenes last night are enough to drag the rest of the show down to the bottom of the barrel.

Frank and his wife are killing this show. (blech) And that scene with Woodrough's mother? I guess someone had to steal his money, but dude, you're surprised your creepy alcoholic trailer trash mother would snag your 20K?

But when Velcoro found out that they captured his wife's rapist? That was some fine, fine acting.

Like always, TD 2.0 is still just as confusing as the 20 overhead highway shots we need to see every week. Even though I enjoyed the Ray/Rick Springfield beatdown, I'm not sure the info he got is all that important, seems like the now reunited task force was going to find that out anyways.

The 66 day break after the massacre seems awful convenient BTW...
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

Hard to believe, but damn if that wasn't a pretty good episode, starting with the opening intense scene between Ray and Frank. I actually have to say, Vince finally had an episode where I can finally buy into his character. His scene with the little boy was another really good moment for Frank.

Ani had a good episode too, even if the drugs kicking in and effecting the viewer as well seems a bit played out.

All in all, likely too little too late, but maybe there will be a good kicker as we count down to the finale?

I thought it was a good episode, too. I especially loved this line, spoken by Frank: "That's one off the bucket list -- a Mexican standoff with actual Mexicans."

I don't know if anyone else has noticed but it seems to me that Vaughn gets the majority of humorous lines, what few there are.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    "It's like blue-balls…in your heart."
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

I am really – and finally – starting to get into this show. I enjoyed this week's episode the most and I think even more than any from last season and I think that's because I found myself rooting for Frank who's become my favorite character.

Thoughts on the finale?

<crickets>

Thought it was excellent though I'd have preferred a few more baddies to die or get their comeuppance & Ray to survive.
    Ian

I wanted Ray and Frank to survive. Apparently, tho, the internet was pretty critical of the finale. Me?

I thought it was a pretty weak season, but it held my interest. Very slow paced. Also thought Vince V., who I like, was horribly miscast.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Thoughts on the finale?

<crickets>
    Have it DVR'd, but not had the chance to watch it yet.

Very uneven season. Too much to expect I suppose that it live up to season 1.

I liked Ani and Ray, they did a great job with some bad writing. I also liked that Ray's Dad.... predicted his death among the trees during the Conway Twitty dream sequence.....

Far too little to rescue this convoluted pretzel of a plot.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I wanted Ray and Frank to survive.
    As did I, though I understand the necessity of both dying. This is one of the few non-sports/non-news shows I can still watch anymore. I dropped Walking Dead last year, gave up on my wife's favorite show Outlander, and outside of Louis CK's show (which is on indefinite hiatus), there's no comedy out there I care about--unless Larrdy David's show comes back.

This show held my interest.

The Internet and critics didn't like it? Oh well. They probably don't like Cardiacs, either.

Edit: ugh that sounds pretentious. I'm totally stoked for the Westworld TV show. That likes suitably fun.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    As did I, though I understand the necessity of both dying.
    I did too. I just really came to like Frank... which is odd for me since he was actually an antagonist. And I came around to hoping Ray would live since he began redeeming himself.

The one thing that I really disliked was the fact that his message to his son didn't get uploaded. I thought that was really crappy for the writers to do.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    What a steaming pile of fetid monkey shit. Even the raid on the cabin was underwhelming. After the excellent 2 eps prior, I was hopeful for a decent finale and that didn't happen. For me anyway.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

8 1/2 hours of my life wasted. I read an overview that went into hyper-detail about every character and plot development. When I was done reading it I still didn't understand what I had just watched. Characters that were given little if any screen time turn out to be integral to the story, while other characters and plot developments were meaningless red herrings. There is one character that is mentioned a number of times - and never appeared on screen! Overall the story itself wasn't as interesting as the first season.

The dialogue was atrocious. Vince Vaughn should have walked off the set when they shot the first episode. He was horribly miscast but they should have given him something to work with.

After the fourth episode I had to keep watching but not for the reasons HBO wanted. What a train wreck....

Season 1 was truly different. This season was just confusing. Lots of criticism all around, so maybe the writers will take that into consideration for next year. I hope.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Finally got around to watching this season. yeah that was pretty bad! I do have to say that the penultimate episode was actually really good though and had my hopes up for the finale even though I had lost interest in whatever the plot was about. But the finale was a real struggle to make it through. I think it was Bourdain that tweeted out afterward that True Detective Season 3 should be an investigation into what went wrong with True Detective Season 2.